Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty ( メ タ タ ル ギ ア ア ソ リ ッ ド サ 2) . The game is a direct continuation of the successful Metal Gear Solid and can chronologically be considered the seventh game in the Metal Gear series , as well as the fourth game created with the participation of Kojima. Subsequently, an expanded edition of the game was created called Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance . In 2004, the Metal Gear Solid 3 prequel followed : Snake Eater , and in 2008, the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots game, a continuation of Sons of Liberty .
|Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty|
Success (Windows port)
Bluepoint Games (HD-port)
|Part of a series||Metal gear|
|Date of issue|
|BBFC : 15 -15 Certificate|
ESRB : M - Mature
OFLC (A) : MA15 + - Mature
OFLC (NZ) : R16 - Restricted 16
PEGI : 16
USK : 16
|Game designer||Hideo Kojima|
|Screenwriter||Hideo Kojima |
|Painter||Yoji Shinkawa (character design)|
|Composer||Harry Gregson-Williams |
|Game mode||single player|
|Carrier||DVD , Blu-ray Disc , DVD DL|
|Control||DualShock 2 , keyboard|
The main events are unfolding at the Big Shell refinery ( Eng. Big Shell ), which was captured by a group of terrorists calling themselves “Sons of Freedom”. They demand a huge ransom in exchange for the life of the President of the United States, threatening in the event of non-compliance with the requirements to destroy the plant, which will lead to an environmental disaster. The motives and personalities of many antagonists, as well as allies, often change over time; the protagonists subsequently learn about a global conspiracy being started by a powerful organization called the Patriots.
The game was favorably received by critics, its sales amounted to about 7 million copies worldwide  . The average rating of the game by Metacritic was 96%, which brought the game 4th place in the list of the most popular PlayStation 2 games  and 6th place in the list of the best games of all time  . Although the gameplay was rated mostly positively, the opinions of critics were divided regarding the philosophical component and the way the plot was presented, which dealt with such topics as memes , social engineering , conspiracy theory , censorship and artificial intelligence . The game addresses the topic of postmodernism     , and one of its distinguishing features is the artistic expression     . Disputes over the game caused a confusing story and a new main character  .
The genre of the game Metal Gear Solid 2 was officially defined as a "tactical spy thriller" ( eng. Tactical Espionage Action ). In most cases, the main task of the player is an imperceptible penetration deep into the territory and avoiding a meeting with opponents. The game features a wide range of possibilities. The player can aim with a first-person view, which gives him several options for action; An enemy soldier can be blinded by steam from a pipe, divert them by throwing an empty magazine or striking a weak spot. Now the main character can move slowly without making a sound on the "noisy" parts of the floor, and he can slip past the guard's legs. As in the first part, the player can press against the wall and look around the corner, and now he can shoot in this position  . A player can jump over some obstacles, hang on fences, hide in lockers for storing things, as well as sneak up on the enemy, point weapons at him and threaten to get objects and ammunition  . The environment has a great influence on the element of secrecy, taking into account such factors as weather, smell, atmosphere and temperature  .
The Metal Gear Solid 2 improved the artificial intelligence of security guards  , who, unlike the original Metal Gear Solid, work in groups  . When they see a player, they call for reinforcements on the radio, then try to surround him in order to prevent the possibility of escape; they themselves try to avoid player attacks. Assault troops are often equipped with body armor and shields, which makes them a serious threat. The player, in turn, can take the soldier hostage and use him as a human shield to get away from the chase. Even if the player manages to hide, the enemies carefully check the terrain. Game artificial intelligence was recognized as one of the best for several years  .
The game has also been improved shelter system  . The main character is now able not only to hide behind a wall or other suitable object, but also to jump around the corner and open fire on opponents   ; enemies are also able to hide from the player. Having done this, they usually call for help  , and during the battle they shoot from there and blindly throw grenades   . The game involved the mechanics of a laser target designator that helps to aim; a similar property exists in WinBack and Resident Evil 4  . In fights with bosses, you need to find a strategy that allows you to bypass the enemy defense and cause damage. At the same time, the main difference from typical action games is that the whole game can be completed without killing a single enemy, but using only tranquilizers, stunning grenades and hand-to-hand techniques.
The protagonist of the MGS2 game is a young agent named Raiden  . On the radio, he is supported by his commander, Colonel Roy Campbell and Rosemary  , Raiden's girlfriend. During the mission, Raiden is joined by the junior lieutenant of the SEAL unit Iroquois Pliskin  , who helps the hero to navigate the factory buildings; Peter Stillman  , a bomb disposal expert from the New York City Police Department ; Otacon  , a computer security expert; and cyborg ninjas, strongly reminiscent of Gray Fox, but calling himself Mr. X   .
The antagonists are the terrorist group Sons of Liberty  , which seized the Big Shell refinery. The grouping includes the Dead Cell anti-terrorism unit and Russian mercenaries  . Dead Cell Members:
- Vamp ( eng. Vamp )  , the immortal vampire.
- Fatman ( Fatman )  , who has extensive knowledge of the field of explosives.
- Fortune ( Eng. Fortune )  , a woman, in a supernatural way cheating death.
The leader of the Sons of Liberty calls himself Solid Snake  , who was presumed dead as a result of an attack by terrorists; but later it turns out that this is the former US president, George Sears, and in fact his name is Solidus Snake. He is the third Big Boss clone, created in the framework of the Les Enfants Terribles project  . The terrorists are helped by Olga Gorlukovich, the commander of the Russian mercenary unit  , and the Revolver Ocelot  , the Russian nationalist and former member of FOXHOUND . He is one of the old enemies of Solid Snake.
The remaining characters:
- Emma Emmerich, Otacon's half-sister and computer genius  .
- Sergey Gorlukovich, former chief of Ocelot, Olga's father  .
- President James Johnson, taken hostage by terrorists  .
- Richard Ames, operative of the RUMO  .
Solid Snake  reappears in the game, as well as Liquid Snake, manifesting himself through the body of Ocelot, since he, having lost his right hand in the last game, transplanted Liquid Liquid's hand  . The main antagonist is Solidus Snake  .
The game also features Mei Ling, a communications expert from the previous game  , and Johnny Sasaki, a loser soldier with perennial digestive problems.
Sons of Liberty begins in 2007, two years after the Shadow Moses incident. Solid Snake, enlisting the support of Otacon (now both are members of the non-governmental organization Philanthropy), tracks down the new Metal Gear  - it doesn't matter who owns them and for what purposes they are built: if such a weapon appears in the world, its better to destroy. Having hacked the site of the Pentagon, Otacon learns about the next version of the robotic woman transported on a military tanker. Snake only needs to be confirmed that Metal Gear exists, however, right at the moment he sneaks onto the ship, the tanker is captured by Russian terrorists  . Snake is faced with the task of taking photos of the new model, codenamed Metal Gear RAY  . The revolver Ocelot and Sergey Gorlukovich penetrate the ship. Soon, Ocelot treacherously kills Sergei  . It turns out that Ocelot transplanted himself the hand of the late Liquid Snake, as a result of which his personality split begins - Liquid Snake manifests himself through the body of Ocelot  . Ocelot drowns the tanker with Snake  , and then runs, taking the new Metal Gear  with him .
Further events of the game take place two years later. Now the player takes on the role of Ryden, a newcomer of FOXHOUND, whom Roy Campbell sends on assignment to the Big Shell refinery. The main character is charged with freeing the hostages, including the President of the United States, from the terrorist group “Sons of Liberty” (whose leader calls himself Solid Snake), joined by the former anti-terrorist unit “Dead Cell”  . The SEAL squad sent to the plant was almost completely destroyed by Vamp and Fortuna, only Iroquois Pliskin survives  . Raiden and Pliskin join forces, they are also joined by the explosives expert Peter Stillman, who is ready to neutralize the bombs laid at the plant (which were laid by the former student of Stillman Fetman). Raiden successfully deals with Fetman, but Stillman dies after hitting one of the traps of the latter.
A mysterious ninja cyborg, who identified himself as Mr. X  , tells Raiden about a man named Ames who knows where the president is contained. However, Ames dies of a heart attack, and Raiden discovers Ocelot. Meanwhile, it turns out that the leader of the Sons of Liberty is in fact Solidus Snake. Pliskin confesses to Raiden that he is Solid Snake, and with the support of Otacon helps him in the search for a president. Raiden penetrates the plant and discovers President Johnson. The president tells the main character that Big Shell is actually a cover for the new Metal Gear. Known as Arsenal Gear, this weapon has advanced artificial intelligence called “GW” and is able to control the transfer of digital information, gives Raiden a virus disk to destroy Arsenal Gear. The president also claims that the whole of American democracy is just a fiction, and in fact the United States is ruled by members of the Patriots secret organization  . Shortly after the explanation, the president is killed by Ocelot. Raiden moves on to destroy Arsenal Gear and prevent a nuclear strike. Raiden needs to find Emma Emmerich (Otacon's sister, the creator of AI Arsenal Gear), the only one who can use the disk and disable Arsenal Gear. Snake and Emma help Raiden to download the virus to the GW system, but the process is interrupted, while Emma dies from the Vamp wound. Otacon takes away all the surviving hostages by helicopter, and in the meantime Mr. X appears, under the guise of which Olga Gorlukovich was hiding, and captures Raiden  .
Raiden wakes up in the torture room and sees Solidus Snake. He admits that he adopted Raiden during the war in Liberia  , and Raiden is now an agent of the Patriots. After that, Solidus leaves the room, and Olga frees Raiden, saying that she, too, is a double agent of the Patriots and Sons of Liberty, and that the Patriots blackmailed her to help Raiden.
Raiden moves on, and in the meantime, the colonel on the radio begins to behave strangely and give false instructions  . It soon became apparent that the “colonel” who had given orders to Raiden was part of the GW supercomputer, and the partially loaded virus had damaged the system. Raiden meets Snake, and then the two collide with Fortune. Snake takes the fight, and Raiden is sent to seek Solidus. The main character comes to grips with 25 Metal Gear RAY type cars guarding the Arsenal Gear. Olga tries to help, but Solidus kills her. Suddenly, the RAY robots fail and, in addition to Raiden, they also attack each other  . Ocelot reports that he is also an agent of the Patriots, and that the mission to Big Shell was a well-planned attempt to restore the course of events of the Shadow Moses incident in order to create a soldier (Raiden) at the same level as Snake  . Ocelot kills Fortune, but soon becomes obsessed with Liquid again. Liquid says he intends to overthrow the Patriots  . He launches Arsenal Gear into a collision with New York, and then takes one of the RAY cars and floats away; Solid Snake chases after him  .
Arsenal Gear crashes into the center of Manhattan, Ryden and Solidus end up on the roof of the Federal Hall  . Solidus is trying to kill Raiden in the hope of taking possession of his nanomachines, destroying the Patriots and founding the nation "Sons of Freedom"  . Another artificial intelligence comes in contact with Raiden, introducing himself as a representative of the Patriots. He explains that the true reason for the simulation was to test how reliably they could portray human behavior  . Raiden is forced to destroy Solidus, as the Patriots threaten to kill the child Olga and Rosa if he does not do this  . After the death of Solidus, Snake appears and reports that he placed the tracking device on Liquid's machine. Snake and Otacon are about to go on a chase to get information about the Patriots, which is on the virus disk  . Raiden is finally reunited with Rosa, this happens on April 30, 2009 - on the anniversary of their first meeting  .
In the epilogue, Otacon discusses with Snake how to decrypt a disk containing the personal data of all twelve members of the Supreme Council of the Patriots. However, it turns out that all of them are already dead, and they died “almost 100 years ago”  .
The design documentation of the game was completed in January 1999  ; a few years later it was published, and in 2006 it was translated into English  . It mentioned that the original name of the game was Metal Gear Solid III , which symbolized the three highest skyscrapers in Manhattan and Raiden, “which can be easily mistaken for a woman”   . The document describes the new game mechanics and features of the gameplay: the bodies that need to be hidden, the ability of enemies to notice the shadows, the sources of light, the destruction of which will lead to a decrease in the enemy field of view, realistic artificial intelligence. It describes the themes of memories, environmentalism , as well as some other topics: "high technology in the military industry", virtual simulation, "high technology in tactical planning", "high technology in everyday life" and "the impact of high technology on people." The document says that in the course of the plot there will be a “series of betrayals and unexpected turns, and the player will not be able to distinguish truth from fiction” (unlike the “very clear and understandable history” of the previous game), “each character lies or betrays either another, the line between reality and fantasy is erased, and all jokes are directed at digital technology and gaming culture ”  . The development of the game was allocated 10 million dollars  .
According to the documentation of Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 , in the original version of the plot, the game unfolded during nuclear weapon inspections in Iraq and Iran; Solid Snake is trying in a limited period of time to destroy Metal Gear, located on the aircraft carrier, and stop Liquid Snake and his group. However, six months after the project began, the political situation in the Middle East worsened, and the developers decided to change the plot. Moreover, in the final version of the game, the episode in the tanker is based precisely on the original plot.
In MGS2, there were references to the novel City of Glass from the trilogy of The New York Trilogy , manifested mainly in the names of characters  . Initially, it was planned to name the characters from the Raiden support group: Colonel Daniel Quinn; Maxine "Max" Wark, an Asian girl who saves the game and quotes William Shakespeare ; William "Doc" Wilson, creator of GW. All names belonged to the key characters of the book, and they themselves were originally products of artificial intelligence. But none of them entered the final version of the game - in the game, the protagonist is assisted by Colonel Campbell, Rosa and Emma Emmerich. Yet Peter Stillman's name was borrowed from a character from the City of Glass book  . Kojima also referred to Kobo Abe's Kangaroo Notebook novel, which influenced the plot of the game.
Initially, it was planned that one of the villains in the game would be a character nicknamed “The Chinese”, but later he was removed from the script, and his ability to walk on the walls and water went to Vamp. The movements of the Chinese were modeled with Jet Li , on his body was a tattoo that came to life when immersed in water  .
At a later stage of development, significant adjustments were made at the end of the game, which was due to the September 11 terrorist attacks . The episode in which Arsenal Gear shifts the Statue of Liberty and breaks up in Manhattan was cut out, as was the short scene after the credits where the Statue of Liberty is laid in a new location on Ellis Island. At the time of the death of Solidus, Ryden had to cut the rope on the Federal Hall flagpole to cover the Solidus body, but all American flags that were to be on the buildings of New York were removed  . Later, Kojima explained that the name “Raiden” was written in kanji and not in katakana , since its pronunciation in Japanese was reminiscent of the name of Bin Laden  .
The public learned about the choice of a composer for creating gaming music on the eve of the game's release. Kojima after watching the movie Killer for replacement, along with the sound producer of the project Kazuki Muraoka invited Harry Gregson-Williams , a Hollywood composer from the studio of Hans Zimmer, to this position. The mixtape with 18 sound tracks from Williams was listened to by the sound engineer, and soon Williams himself, flattered by the attention to his work, joined the project  .
Gregson-Williams created a reworked version of the original Metal Gear Solid Main Theme for use in the opening screensaver. Norihiko Khibino , who had previously participated in the creation of Konami games (for example, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel ), was responsible for all in-game music. He also participated in the creation of most in-game scenes and in the creation of the remix “Main Theme”.
As in the case of Metal Gear Solid , in-game video included excerpts of orchestral and choral music. The soundtrack of the game also contained ambient music. In the game, compared with its predecessor, there are more elements of electronic music (in particular breakbeat ). Rika Mouranaka was creating a closing theme - a jazz composition called “Can't Say Goodbye to Yesterday”, performed by Carla White. Subsequently, the music from the game was released on 4 discs: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Original Soundtrack , Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Soundtrack 2: The Other Side , Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance Limited Sorter (Black Edition) and Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance Ultimate Sorter (White Edition) .
The main theme of MGS2 was chosen by the London Philharmonic Orchestra for their compilation Greatest Video Game Music  , it also sounded at Video Games Live concerts at the presentation of the Metal Gear Solid segment  . An excerpt from the song is present in the ending of the game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater   .
The release of the game in Japan took place two weeks after the American release. As a result, the developers managed to add new parts and videos to the game, including two new modes: “Boss Survival” and “Casting Theater” (where players could watch any of the cut scenes). As in the case of Metal Gear Solid , the edition of the Premium Package game was released in addition to the regular version. Included with the package were a double-sided cover with art from the game, a DVD-video, an A4 brochure and a Solid Snake figure.
In Europe, the game was originally planned to be released on February 22, 2002 (that is, almost three months after the Japanese and American releases), but again there was a delay of two weeks. All additions from the Japanese version of the game were included in the European one, where the European Extreme difficulty level was also added. In addition, complete with the European edition was a DVD containing video from the French channel FunTV, as well as all game trailers. This was a kind of apology to European players for delaying the release by several months.
Released on September 12, 2002 in Japan and September 24 in North America, an interactive documentary entitled The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 , launched on the PlayStation 2 console, shows the process of creating the game. The disc contains data on the development history, the user can view polygonal models of characters, game mechanics and locations, as well as listen to the soundtrack. Also recorded are all the in-game videos (without sound), trailers, part of the script, the original Hideo Kojima project (available only in the Japanese version), information on release dates, a gallery of related products. In addition, the content includes five levels from the "VR Training" mode, which serve as an announcement of the game Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance . The film was shipped with the European version of the game Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance , and was not sold separately in Europe. He also entered the reissue of the original Metal Gear game, called the 20th Anniversary Edition .
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
This game is an enhanced version of the original MGS2 with some bonuses. It was first released for the Xbox , followed by releases for the PlayStation 2 and PC . The game includes the difficulty level "Boss Survival" and the mode "Casting Theater". The idea of creating Substance came from the previously created Metal Gear Solid: Integral (an extended version of Metal Gear Solid ) and was subsequently continued by Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (an extended version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater ).
Substance included 300 additional missions of the virtual training mode and 200 alternative missions unfolding in gaming locations. A player can play as Solid Snake or Raiden, and after completing a certain number of missions, choose a new costume for the character. The objectives of the missions are: penetration unnoticed in a certain place, shooting at targets, destroying opponents, defusing bombs. There are also mixed tasks, such as protecting a wounded ally from enemies or fighting with many enemy soldiers. In a number of tasks, a first-person shooter is simulated. In total there are seven modes: "Sneaking Mode", "Weapon Mode", "Variety Mode", "Photograph Mode", "Hold Up Mode", "Bomb Disposal Mode" and "Elimination Mode". There is also an additional mode “Streaking Mode”. In it, the player must in two minutes quietly overcome five levels without weapons and equipment. The allotted time stops when a player is detected.
In addition to the virtual mission mode, the game features the “Snake Tales” mode, offering the player five separate missions based on the original storyline; Solid Snake in them is the main character. The missions unfold at the factory Big Shell, where the characters Fetman, Emma, Vamp and Solidus Snake are also present, and on the tanker, where Meryl Silverberg from Metal Gear Solid acts as the boss instead of Olga Gorlukovich. These tasks do not relate to the main storyline, they lack character dubbing (subtitles are used instead). The leaders of Kojima Productions : Xue Murata and Sinta Nojiri took part in the creation of these branches.
The PS2 version also contained a skateboarding mini-game based on the Evolution Skateboarding game, previously created by Konami  . The player, controlling Snake or Raiden, must complete a number of tasks (collecting icons in the form of dogs, blast locations, etc.) before the time runs out.
Substance was originally released exclusively for the Xbox platform; The exit in North America took place on November 5, 2002. The PS2 version was released in March 2003, at the same time the version for personal computers was released. In Europe, all three versions of the game were released almost simultaneously, along with the PS2 version the film The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 was delivered. In Japan, Substance was released on December 19, 2002 only for the PlayStation 2; the original Japanese dubbing in it was replaced by English dubbing.
After the release, Famitsu gaming magazine rated the Substance for PlayStation 2 35 points out of 40  .
Konami has released reissued versions of the games Metal Gear Solid 2 , Metal Gear Solid 3 and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker in the form of a collection called Metal Gear Solid HD Collection . In the US, the collection was released on November 8, 2011.
|EGM||38.5 / 40 |
|Game informer||10/10 |
|Gamespot||9.6 / 10 |
|Gamezone||9.8 / 10 |
|Ign||9.7 / 10 |
|GameNOW||A + |
|Gamer.tv||9.6 / 10 |
|Gaming target||9.9 / 10 |
|Just adventure||A |
|Next Generation Magazine|||
|The electric playground||9.7 / 10 |
|Country of Games||9.3 out of 10 |
|Game informer||Game of the Year |
|Konami||Excellence Award |
|Konami||Innovation of the Year |
Thanks to the advertising campaign and the commercial success of the previous Metal Gear Solid game, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was one of the most anticipated players  . Immediately after its release, MGS 2 became a very successful game, having sold more than 7 million copies worldwide, while receiving only top marks in all gaming publications. The average score of the game on the Metacritic website was 96%, in the same place the game got the third place in the list of the best games on the PlayStation 2  , and the thirteenth place in the list of the best games of all time  . Game Informer magazine rated the game at 10 points out of 10, it published positive reviews from reputable publications and websites. Gamespot gave the game 9.6, noting: “Nothing compares to this. You must play Metal Gear Solid 2  . Critics highlighted the element of secrecy (in particular, improvements in this regard compared with the previous game), graphic design of the game levels and in-game video  . On the Russian Internet portal Absolute Games, a PC-ported game was rated 80% out of 100  . As advantages, the cinematography of the game process and psychologism were noted  .
The gameplay was generally well received, but opinions on the plot diverged  . The story touches on many social and philosophical topics in some detail: memes , sociology, artificial intelligence , information control, conspiracy theory , evolution, existentialism , censorship       , exploitation of children [ 115] , incest  , sexual orientation  . The Kojima scenario was highly appreciated, it was even called the first example of a postmodern video game       . However, some critics considered the scenario “difficult to understand” and not suitable for action games. It was also noted that too long dialogues, scattered and tangled in themselves, spoil the gameplay   . The unexpected appearance as the main character of Raiden, who replaced the former protagonist Solid Snake, caused discontent among fans of Metal Gear Solid  .
- E3 2000 Game Critics Awards : “Special Commendation for Graphics”  .
- E3 2001 Game Critics Awards : “Best Console Game”, “Best Action / Adventure Game”  .
- EDGE : "Innovation of the Year"  .
- IGN Best of 2001: “Best Graphics”, “Best Sound”, “Best Story”  .
- Game Informer 2001 Game of the Year Awards: “Game of the Year”  .
- GameSpot 2001 Game of the Year Awards: “Best Music”, “Biggest Surprise”  .
- GameSpy 2001 Game Awards: “Best PS2 Action / Adventure Game”, “Reader's Choice PS2 Game of the Year”, “Best In-Game Cinematics”, “Best Force Feedback”  .
- Japan Game Awards 2001–2002: Excellence Award  .
- Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences 2002: “Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design”  .
In 2006, Famitsu magazine compiled a list of the top 100 games of all time, the game Metal Gear Solid 2 took 42nd place in it  . The 200th issue of Game Informer Magazine , released in 2009, published a similar list, consisting already of 200 games; the game took 50th place in it  . Metal Gear Solid 2 won 7th place in Game Informer magazine for one of the best opening screensavers  . In 2010, on the UGO Network website, the game was given the first place out of 11 according to the criterion “The most incomprehensible ending”, the editor noted: “This is the most senseless and ridiculous thing I have ever seen”  . In the same year, on the site GamesRadar Metal Gear Solid 2 hit the top seven games “with terrible story twists and turns unavailable for understanding”  . In 2011, the game hit the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die ( rus. 1001 games that you must play before you die )  .
The game Metal Gear Solid 2 was often called the prototype of the video game in the style of postmodernism    and the main example of the artistic game     . In the How Videogames Express Ideas publication, Matthew Weiss of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology described the Sons of Liberty game as "perhaps the most vivid example of a game where the hero actually works for several organizations, which has a strong influence on ideology," called the establishment of the totalitarian regime through the intentions of Solidus Snake. mind control ", and pointed out that" a great designer's idea and player's way reveal the entire despotic nature of the government, and Jack (Raiden) is nothing more than a doll in the hands of his masters "  . In the book Joystick Soldiers: Tanner Higgin reviewed the “alternative history of military affairs” in the game, describing its “confusing narrative and unconventional game logic,” and noted that the game criticizes modern methods of biopolitical and information control [ 128] . Jeremy Perish from 1UP.com noted that the game Metal Gear Solid 2 "is based on misinformation and is too clever"  . On the Gamasutra website , gaming themes were compared to the philosophy of Thomas Hobbes , Friedrich Nietzsche and Georg Hegel  .
In 2009, Wired magazine included the game in its list of “The 15 Most Influential Games of the Decade” to 13th place, concluding that “in the history of video games there are many examples of destroying the expectations of players, but they are all greatly indebted to the destruction, which brought Metal Gear Solid 2 "  . Metal Gear Solid 2 has had an impact on later games; A similar artistic expression is observed in the games Killer7 (the creator of Goiti Court )  , Portal  , Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and BioShock  (the plot of which is also rather confused)  . Several elements of game mechanics, such as the system of shelters and laser designator, became the main features of both stealth games and shooters; they were involved in the Kill Switch , Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War games   . Waiting for the game after the demonstration at E3 2000 was one of the key factors for the commercial success of the PlayStation 2 and partly led to the fall of the Dreamcast  .
Publishing IDW Publishing in the period from 2006 to 2007 published an anthology of comics called Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty in 12 volumes. The book was written by Alex Garner and illustrated by Ashley Wood. She is very different from the game - in many scenes Raiden is replaced by Snake.
The digital version of Metal Gear Solid 2: Bande Dessinée was released on June 12, 2008 in Japan. Originally announced as a PlayStation Portable game, similar to Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel , it came out as a fully voiced DVD film  .
A novelization of the game, written by Raymond Benson, was published by Del Ray. A book publication in America was published on November 24, 2009. Most of the characters' conversations are literally taken from the game (from the negotiations on the Codec).
In other languages
The game was originally transferred to Russia by pirate offices. The translation caused many complaints from the enthusiasts on the technical side. Since the Russian language is not officially supported by the game, translators simply replaced the English text of the game in a hex editor by letter (a common practice in pirated translations). Since in Russian the sentences are often longer than in English, the meaning was often distorted in the translation, since the sentences had to be truncated so that they contained exactly the number of characters that the English-language text had.
The situation was somewhat facilitated by the fact that there was a literary translation of the texts in the game, but it affected only plot conversations, leaving aside the other conversations on the Codec.
Translation from the ExclusivE Studio group
Due to the high level of piracy in Russia, it is unprofitable for official publishers to translate such games, so in this case fans of the game usually do it.
On November 29, 2010, the Exclusive group completed the translation of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty into Russian, which, according to their statements, lasted almost 6 years. And on March 18, 2011, an updated translation of Sons of Liberty and a translation of the expanded edition - Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance was posted. The authors explained the reasons for such a long translation by the fact that the game’s resources were very complicatedly packed and the format of the archives was completely unraveled only 4 years after the start of the translation work.
In Russian translation, the game is called Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Freedom . On the part of enthusiasts there was discontent with the translation of the subtitle. The argument was cited by its inconsistency, and suggested replacing it with the Sons of Liberty . The translators justified the chosen option by saying that the subtitle is a reference to the real revolutionary organization Sons of Freedom , which operated in the late 18th century in the United States .
- SCEE. SCEE 2002 - Key facts and figures . SCEE Press Room . The appeal date is November 25, 2006. Archived March 1, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - in February Archived on October 18, 2012.
- Gear Metal Gear Solid HD PS Vita Release Date | Uncategorized . Official PlayStation Magazine (June 13, 2012). The appeal date is June 17, 2012. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Big Gaz. Metal Gear Solid 3 Exclusive For Sony . GamePlanet New Zealand . Circulation date October 31, 2006. Archived June 2, 2009.
- Top PlayStation 2 Games (not available link) . Metacritic . The appeal date is December 17, 2011. Archived June 5, 2011.
- Game Releases by Score . Metacritic . The date of circulation is December 17, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Dr. Chris Zimbaldi Konkle. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty as a Post-Modern Tragedy . metalgearsolid.org (April 30, 2004). The date of circulation is February 21, 2007. Archived September 20, 2008.
- Mark Ryan Sallee. Kojima's Legacy . IGN (June 29, 2006). The date of circulation is June 20, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- James Howell & Ryan Payton. The Kojima Productions Report Session 084 . Kojima Productions (March 20, 2008). The appeal date is November 24, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Myles, Aaron (January 4, 2012). Metal Gear Solid's postmodern legacy Archived January 13, 2012 at Wayback Machine Nightmaremode.net. Retrieved 28 January 2012
- Matthew Weise. How Videogames Express Ideas . Level Up: Digital Games Research Conference . Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2003). The appeal date is November 21, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Games as Art: The videogames that prove Rogert Ebert wrong . IGN (July 31, 2007). The appeal date is November 24, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- David Radd. 'Controversial' Games: Dealing with Fan Backlash . Industry Gamers (November 10, 2009). The appeal date is November 21, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 PS2 Game Guide . Absolute PlayStation. The appeal date was August 20, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- David Low. GO3: Kojima Talks Metal Gear History, Future . Gamasutra (April 2, 2007). Circulation date August 3, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Mana_'s Reader review of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty for PlayStation 2 . Gamespot.com. The appeal date is June 7, 2011.
- Shane Patterson (2009-02-03), The Sneaky History of Stealth Games , GamesRadar, Retrieved 2009-06-21
- Mark Ryan Sallee. Kojima's Legacy . The appeal date was August 20, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Lindsay, Stuart Did Gears of War Innovate the Cover System . Planet Xbox 360 (December 2, 2009). The appeal date is December 12, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Walkthrough: Walkthrough: Tanker, Part 2 Archived July 13, 2011. Ign
- Gear Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Walkthrough: Walkthrough: Plant, Part 6 Archived July 13, 2011. Ign
- Hands-on: The Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo , IGN
- Gear Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Walkthrough: Walkthrough: Tanker, Part 1 Archived July 13, 2011. Ign
- Gordon, Shawn Greatest "Retro" Console Games of All Time . Game Informer (October 11, 2009). The appeal date is September 15, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Official Site ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Raiden: Rose! You're not supposed to be involved! What's going on !? // Rose: Jack, I'm a part of this mission. // Raiden: Colonel, what is hell is going on? // Colonel: Raiden, meet the mission analyst. She'll be overseeing the data saving and support. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Iroquois Pliskin: I'm not an enemy. Calm down. My name is S ... My name is Pliskin. Iroquois Pliskin, Lieutenant Junior Grade. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Peter Stillman: My name is Peter, Peter Stillman. // Iroquois Pliskin: A lecturer at NSEOD, Indian Head. Also consultant to the NYPD Bomb Squad. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Iroquois Pliskin: Raiden, let me introduce you to my partner - Otacon. // Raiden: Otacon? // Otacon: Hey, Raiden. Nice to meet you. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Mr. X: I'm like you ... I have no name. // Raiden: Are you Mr. X? ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Mr. X: Be careful! There are Claymore mines around there. // Raiden: Who is this! // Mr. X: Stealth-equipped Claymores, invisible to the naked eye. Use the mine detector. // Raiden: Identify yourself. // Mr. X: Just call me Deepthroat. // Raiden: Deepthroat? You mean from Shadow Moses? // Mr. X: Mr. X, then. // Raiden: Mr. X now, is it? Why would it matter if I called you Deepthroat? Mr. X: Never mind about that. [...] Mr. X: Let's just say I'm one of your fans. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Colonel: The terrorists call themselves Sons of Liberty. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Colonel: Dead Cell. Former members of the Navy SEAL's special anti-terrorist training squad. Russian private army members may also be involved. It is a highly trained group under complete control. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Raiden: What was that man just now? // Iroquois Pliskin: That blood sucking freak? That was Vamp. [...] // Raiden: What is he? // Iroquois Pliskin: One of the members of Dead Cell. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Fatman: I am Fatman. I am the greatest humanity. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Fortune: Maybe you can give me death. My name is Fortune. Lucky in war and nothing else. And without a death to call my own. Hurry. Kill me, please. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Colonel: Snake. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Colonel: Right. But it can't be a solid snake. He died two years ago, he won it sky-high. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Raiden: I saw a female soldier - Russian. // Iroquois Pliskin: Must be Olga Gurlukovich. // Raiden: How do you know? // Iroquois Pliskin: Unlike you, I've been briefed. // Raiden: She's not a Dead Cell? // Iroquois Pliskin: No, she commands a Russian private army. // Raiden: They must be patronling the Big Shell. // Iroquois Pliskin: That's right. She's led the group ever since her old man, Colonel Gurlukovich, died. Watch yourself with her. She's a tough one. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Solid Solid Snake: Ocelot, I leave this place in your hands. I have the intruder to take care of. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Raiden: Wait a second. Isn't Emma Emmerich - // Otacon: My sister. // Raiden: What's she doing here? // Otacon: You got me. It is a computer whiz who specializes in ultra-variable volume data analysis using complex logic. How she got involved in weapons development is beyond me. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Otacon: We've ID'd the old man. // Solid Snake: Who is he? // Otacon: Sergei Gurlukovich. // Solid Snake: Gurlukovich! One of Ocelot's allies? // Otacon: Yeah ... the GRU colonel. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Raiden: Hostages, huh? // Colonel: // Raiden: The most important person -? // Colonel: James Johnson. // Raiden: The President! ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Revolver Ocelot: I knew the DIA turned out second-rate liars. // Richard Ames: What are you talking about? // Revolver Ocelot: No need for denials. You know what you are - Colonel Ames. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Solid Snake: This is Snake. Do you read me, Otacon? ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Liquid “Liquid Snake”: It's been a while, brother. // Solid Snake: Who are you? // "Liquid Snake": You know who I am. // Solid Snake: Liquid? ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- President Johnson: My predecessor ... George Sears. That was the public. But I knew him by his codename, "Solidus Snake." He was the third Snake, preceded by Solid and Liquid ... a survivor of the Les Enfants Terrible project. Neither Solid nor Liquid, he was a well-balanced masterpiece. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- ???: What a crock! I made you! // [...] Snake: What's going on over there? // Mei Ling: Oh, hi, Snake. Do you know that Otacon's been - // Otacon: Er, Mei Ling, we're in the middle of a mission and everything! So can we, you know ... // Mei Ling: Fine. Sure. And, you’re cautious, you can avoid making serious mistakes. Even if you've gotten used to the mission, watch what you do. Good luck! ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Gear Gear Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal Metal [...] “Philanthropy” now officially recognized by the United Nations. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami , 2001),
- Solid Snake: Metal Gear tonight. // [...] Russians? // Otacon: You sure? // Solid Snake: No Marine barber touched that head of hair. [...] Otacon, under their control. I haven’t been able to find out anything else about their origin. // Otacon: I know who they are. // Solid Snake: You do? // Otacon: We've ID'd the old man. // Solid Snake: Who is he? // Otacon: Sergei Gurlukovich. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Otacon: Ok, we're finally there. // Solid Snake: So this is the new Metal Gear ... // Otacon: Yep. Baby pictures. Get the prototype on camera. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Sergei Gurlukovich: Ocelot, you ...! Have you sold us out? // Revolver Ocelot: I was never in your employ, Gurlukovich ... ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Liquid “Liquid Snake”: It's been a while, brother. // Solid Snake: Who are you? // "Liquid Snake": You know who I am. Solid Snake: Liquid? // [...] “Liquid Snake”: I — I live on, through this arm. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- "Liquid Snake": you are going down, Snake, with this tanker! ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Revolver Ocelot: No problems ... proceeding as planned, sir. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Colonel: You have two missions objectives. One: infiltrate the offshore decontamination facility “Big Shell” and safeguard the President and other hostages. And two: disarm the terrorists. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Iroquis Pliskin: I'm not an enemy. Calm down. My name is S ... My name is Pliskin. Iroquois Pliskin, Lieutenant Junior Grade. // Raiden: Are you a Navy SEAL? How did you get in? // Iroquis Pliskin: Fast rope descent from a Navy chopper. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Raiden: Identify yourself. // Mr. X: I'm like you ... I have no name. // Raiden: Are you Mr. X? // Mr. X: Hmm ... if you like. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- President Johnson: I don't have any control. The real power is in the Patriots' hands. [...] Politics, the military, the economy — they control it all. They even choose who becomes President ... Putting it simply, the Patriots rule this country. [...] This country is shaped by The people are shown. What you call government is actually a well-staged production! ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Solid Snake: Otacon, take care of the hostages. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Solidus Snake: This is my son ... I taught everything. Jack ... I never thought I'd see you again ... [...] You don't remember ...? Your name ... your skills ... everything you know ... you know from me. [...] I was your godfather, I named you. [...] I shouldn’t have known you would recruit you. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Colonel: Raiden, turn the game console off right now! Raiden: What did you say? Colonel: The mission is a failure! Cut the power right now! Raiden: What's wrong with you? ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Solidus Snake: What's going on !? What's wrong with it !? // Revolver Ocelot: The AI — GW — it's out of control. [...] Solidus Snake: Stupid machines! ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Revolver Ocelot: Everything has been scripted — it’s a little exercise set up by us. // Solidus Snake: Exercise !? // Revolver Ocelot: That's what I told you. But the VR. You are a Solidus? THIS is the S3 training kernel — an orchestrated recreation of Shadow Moses. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Revolver Ocelot: No! No, not now !! // "Liquid Snake": Brothers !! // Solid Snake: Liquid! [...] “Liquid Snake”: I'm off to bury the Patriots for good. // Solidus Snake: You know where they are? How? // "Liquid Snake": Why do you think I chose Ocelot as my host? ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- “Liquid Snake”: Like surfing? It's a good way to go. // Solid Snake: Liquid! Stop this thing! // "Liquid Snake": Hey, Snake! You coming? ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Solidus Snake: Federal Hall! ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Solidus Snake: We were going to declare another independence — a dawn of a new nation — here. This could be the freedom of this country. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 001)
- JFK: It's our responsibility as rulers. Stimulate out of the species. [...] The S3 Plan doesn’t stand for Solid Snake Simulation. Selection for Societal Sanity. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Solidus Snake: I have other reasons for wanting you dead. GW have been erased, but there are other traces. Inside YOU. [...] they were taken. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Raiden: Do you know where Liquid went? // Solid Snake: I put the transmitter on his RAY. [...] This [disc] contains a list of all the Patriots. This is a coded GW — namely, the information is the information of the Patriots identity. What means that information is. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Rose: Do you remember this place? // Raiden: Of course. This is where we first met ... I met you. That's it. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Otacon: Of course. It contains the personal data of twelve people. It was one of our biggest contributors. [...] They're already dead. All twelve of them. // Solid Snake: When did it happen? // Otacon: Well, ah ... about a hundred years ago. ( Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty , Konami, 2001)
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Grand Game Plan (not available link) . Kojima Productions . The date of circulation is December 21, 2011. Archived July 23, 2011.
- Orland, Kyle MGS2 design secrets translated . Joystiq (August 15, 2006). Circulation date December 21, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- The Final Hours of Metal Gear Solid 2 (not available link) . Kojima Productions (May 22, 2010). The appeal date is April 14, 2012. Archived June 17, 2010.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: Information from . Answers.com. The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Grand Game Plan Page 26 (PDF) (not available link) . http://www.kojimaproductions.net The Kojima Productions Network . The appeal date is September 14, 2010. Archived July 23, 2011.
- 6:20, Retrieved: Feb 17, 2010 . Youtube.com (June 28, 2009). The appeal date is June 7, 2011.
- Hideo Kojima. The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 [DVD]. New Zealand: Konami.
- Leone, Matt Patchwork Fixes . How Japan's Earthquake Changed its Developers . 1UP.com (November 21, 2011). The appeal date is November 30, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Harry Gregson-Williams ’interview in The Making of DVDs.
- Adam Vitcavage. The London Philharmonic Orchestra Releases Video Game-Themed Album pastemagazine.com (October 12, 2011). The appeal date is August 15, 2016.
- Video Games live | http . //www.videogameslive.com. The appeal date is June 17, 2012. Archived August 6, 2012.
- 4:40 Mark and 6:53 Mark; The MGS2 theme creeps in upon the Big Boss' praise.
- Track 37 Debreifing.
- Greg Kasavin. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) . The appeal date is June 9, 2008. Archived August 6, 2012.
- プ レ イ ス テ ー シ ョ ン 2 - メ タ ル ギ ア ソ リ ッ ド 2 サ ブ ス タ ン ス . Weekly Famitsu. No.915 Pt.2. Pg.85. 30 June 2006.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Overview . Allgame. The appeal date is July 28, 2012. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty [Greatest Hits ] . Allgame. The appeal date is July 28, 2012. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Error in footnotes ? : Invalid
<ref>; no text for footnotes
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Articles . GameStats. The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Famtisu Scores (Unavailable (not available link) . The appeal date is November 23, 2009. Archived April 16, 2008.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty PS2 Video Game, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Game for PS2 . Gamepro.com. The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived June 7, 2011.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty for PlayStation 2 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More on Metacritic . Metacritic.com (November 12, 2001). The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Reviews and Articles for the PlayStation 2 . GameRankings. The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Review, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty PlayStation 2 Review . GameSpot.com (November 12, 2001). The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 9, 2009.
- Christopher Buecheler email@example.com. GameSpy.com - Reviews: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2) . Archive.gamespy.com. The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- PlayStation 2 Video Game Reviews - Gamezone offers video game reviews for all of your favorite systems. | GameZone.com (Inaccessible link) . Ps2.gamezone.com. The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived May 9, 2006.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PlayStation 2 Review at IGN . Uk.ps2.ign.com (November 16, 2001). The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Critic Reviews for PlayStation 2 at . Metacritic.com (November 12, 2001). The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Sergey Ovchinnikov. Metal Gear Solid 2 Review: Game of the Year on PS2 (rus.) // Country of Games : magazine. - Gameland Publishing, 2002. - January ( No. 01 (106) ). - p . 46-49 . - ISSN 7157-1000 .
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty for PlayStation 2 . GameRankings (November 12, 2001). The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- “Games of 2001.” Game Informer . January 2002: p. 52
- METAL GEAR SOLID2 -SONS OF LIBERTY- Neoprov (June 12, 2002). The appeal date is March 24, 2008. Archived August 6, 2012.
- 25 Most Overrated Games of All Time . GameSpy (2003). The appeal date is December 28, 2006. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Review, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty PlayStation 2 Review - GameSpot.com . Uk.gamespot.com. The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 Review . Gamespot (2001). The appeal date is August 28, 2006. Archived August 9, 2009.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance // Everything about the game on AG.ru . Absolute Games . The appeal date is August 27, 2012.
- Igor Sonin. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance // Review (review, review) on AG.ru . Absolute Games (April 14, 2003). The appeal date is August 28, 2012.
- Liam Martin. Feature: Divisive Games Unsolved . Digital Spy (August 30, 2009). The appeal date is April 1, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty Archive dated November 23, 2013 on the Wayback Machine . Cyberpunk Review.
- Artemio Urbina (2002). Metal Gear Solid 2 Ending Analysis . Junker HQ . Retrieved on February 21, 2007.
- Dr. Chris Zimbaldi. MGS2 Story / Ending / Symbolism Analysis . metalgearsolid.org (2004). The date of circulation is February 21, 2007. Archived November 1, 2007.
- GameSpy's Top MGS Moments: Metal Gear Solid 2 (Day Two) . GameSpy (May 16, 2008). The appeal date is November 25, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Kris Pigna. Kojima: "I'll Have to Leave the Industry" if Next Game Goes Wrong . 1UP.com (April 15, 2010). The appeal date is March 8, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Xav de Matos. Gamasutra examines sexuality, homophobia in Persona 4 . Joystiq (January 28, 2009). The appeal date is March 8, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (ps2: 2001): Reviews . Metacritic.com (November 12, 2001). The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- 25 Most Overrated Games of All Time . GameSpy . The date of circulation is January 25, 2006. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Amazon.com: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection: Video Games . Amazon.com. The appeal date is July 28, 2012. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Eng.) On the Internet Movie Database
- Japan Votes on All Time Top 100 . Edge (March 3, 2006). The appeal date is November 26, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Top 200 Games (unknown) // Game Informer . - 2009. - December ( No. 200 ).
- "The Top Ten Video Game Openings," Game Informer 187 (November 2008): 38.
- K. By K. Thor Jensen December 3, 2010 Follow. The 11 Weirdest Game Endings . UGO.com (December 3, 2010). The appeal date is June 7, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Meikleham, Dave. The Top 7 ... Games with mega plot twists . GamesRadar. The appeal date was July 12, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Tony Mott , Tony. 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die. - Octopus Publishing Group , Hachette , December 5, 2011. - ISBN 1-84403-715-0 .
- Higgin, Tanner. "Turn the Game Console Off Now": Subscribe to the World War II Subtrime for the Consumer World - New York: Routledge , 2010. - p. 15–6 & 252–71. - ISBN 0-415-99659-7 .
- Parish, Jeremy Metal Gear Solid 2: Gaming's Greatest Con Job . 1UP.com (December 10, 2011). The appeal date is December 22, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Patrick, Dugan Analysis: 'Socially Awkward' - How Metal Gear Solid 2 Predicted Facebook Undeclared . Gamasutra (July 29, 2011). The appeal date is June 1, 2012. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Kohler, Chris The 15 Most Influential Games of the Decade . Wired (December 24, 2009). The date of circulation is September 10, 2011. Archived August 18, 2012.
- Good, Owen The Meta-Narrative That Pulls Back The Curtain For All Games . Kotaku Australia . Australia: Kotaku (November 8, 2009). The appeal date is June 1, 2012. Archived August 6, 2012.
- GameSpy's Top MGS Moments: Metal Gear Solid 2 (Day Two) . GameSpy (May 16, 2008). The appeal date is November 25, 2009. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Kessler, Matthew The End of Metal Gear Solid 4 makes me crazy . Gamasutra (April 15, 2009). The appeal date is December 22, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- Parish, Jeremy Enter PS2 . 9.9.99, A Dreamcast Memorial: A decade later, what is the Dreamcast's legacy? . 1UP.com (September 2010). The date of circulation is September 16, 2011. Archived August 6, 2012.
- 料 「◆ 送 料 無 無 料 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 BANDE DESSINÉE (DVD) 商 商品 情報 - コ ナ ミ ス タ イ ル (jap.) . Archived August 6, 2012.