Khokhlovskaya Square is a square in the Basmanny district of Moscow between Pokrovsky and Chistoprudny boulevards south of Pokrovka , known since the 17th century. To the south-west of it departs Khokhlovsky lane.
Khokhlovskaya Square in January 2018 after reconstruction
|Underground||Chistye Prudy , Turgenevskaya|
There are two versions of the origin of the name. According to one of them, it is connected with Maroseika Street , where in the 17th century there was the Little Russian , that is, “Khokhlovsky”, a compound  . However, the square and the courtyard were located at a distance of more than half a kilometer from each other, which was a considerable distance by the standards of the XVII century. The second version claims that the name "Khokhly" passed to the square from the Trinity Church in Khokhly, which was much closer. Its modern address is Khokhlovsky Lane, 12, and it can be seen from the square  .
Buildings and structures
Khokhlovskaya Square is a fragment of Pokrovsky Boulevard and does not have its own house numbering. In the northern part there are two buildings of the hotel at the Pokrovsky Gate , which was built at the beginning of the XIX century by the personal order of Emperor Paul I. Moscow merchants turned to the sovereign with a request to create hotels , because at that time there were only inns and taverns in the city. For new hotels, a place was chosen at the city gates in the White and Earthen city   .
In the east of the square there is the House of NKVD workers, built in 1936 according to the design of the architect Lazarus Cherikover . According to the general plan for the reconstruction of 1935, the building was delivered with a large margin from the Boulevard Ring and became a new “ red line ” for the planned highway in Lefortovo and Izmailovo    .
On the western side of the square is the Tenement House of the Olovyanishnikovs , built in 1913 according to the design of the architect Sergey Voskresensky . In one of the apartments of this house lived the Lithuanian symbolist poet Jurgis Baltrušaitis , who was married to the daughter of the owner Maria Olovyanishnikova. In Soviet times, the building was redesigned and built on two floors  .
For a long time Khokhlovskaya Square served as a parking lot . In the early 2000s, in its place, it was decided to build a multi-level underground parking. During excavation in 2007, builders discovered a fragment of the walls of the White City , which is a model of the historical buildings of ancient Moscow. The construction site was frozen, the foundation pit was covered with a canopy and, as such, the area was left for three years. In 2010, the Department of Cultural Heritage gave permission to continue construction, but on condition that the developer retains the found section of the wall and provides free access to it. Such conditions were unacceptable to the investor and he decided not to resume construction. In this form, Khokhlovskaya Square stood for another six years   .
In 2016, Muscovites were surveyed on the future of Khokhlovskaya Square on the Active Citizen portal. Two thirds of the respondents were in favor of the area museumification   . In 2017, the arrangement of the square under the My Street program began. The space of the former pit was divided into two tiers. At the top, going flush with Pokrovsky Boulevard, the pedestrian zone was equipped, benches were installed, information stands were set up and bicycle parking was organized. On the lower tier they made a platform with an open historical masonry of the Belogorod wall. For greater structural strength, a supporting wall made of pigmented concrete , similar in color to a real stone, was erected behind the platform. The surface of this wall is decorated with decorative vines . The descent from the upper tier to the lower one was made in the form of a semicircular amphitheater with a depth of three meters, the steps of which are covered with wooden flooring. On both tiers, as well as between the steps of the amphitheater, 43 trees were planted: lindens , maples and pines . For water drainage, a special system was installed and water intake grids were installed, and special water-holding cells, which are tanks for rainwater   , are located under the outer flooring.
A fragment of the Belogorod wall, four and a half meters wide, was cleaned, covered with lime, strengthened and preserved with a special compound that protects against environmental influences   .
Khokhlovskaya area. XIX century. View from the bell tower of the Church of the Introduction in Barashi
Desolation on Khokhlovskaya Square. 2010
The foundation of the walls of the White City, punched by metal structures. 2007
A fragment of the white stone foundation of the walls of the White City. 2007
- Maria Podyapolskaya. Ukrainian places of Moscow . Moscow walks (December 12, 2012). The appeal date is April 13, 2018.
- Spiridonovka Street . Another Moscow (April 9, 2015). The appeal date is April 6, 2018.
- Alexander Frolov. Khokhlovskaya Square . Get to know Moscow. The appeal date is April 5, 2018.
- Architecture of Moscow, 2015 , p. 225.
- Styles of Moscow Architecture, 2014 , p. 313.
- Eugene Budnik. What will happen on Khokhlovskaya Square . livejournal (March 24, 2017). The appeal date is April 10, 2018.
- Khokhlovskaya Square: without a construction of a business center or shopping center, parking is unprofitable . Ivanovo Hill (November 25, 2012). The appeal date is April 10, 2018.
- What is happening with Khokhlovskaya Square . Poster (June 30, 2017). The appeal date is March 10, 2018.
- Khokhlovskaya Square will become a new landmark of Moscow . The official website of the Mayor of Moscow (April 13, 2017). The appeal date is March 11, 2018.
- Kazantseva Svetlana. The underground archaeological museum is ready for discovery . Moscow 24th (September 17th, 2017). The appeal date is March 11, 2018.
- The architecture of Moscow in 1933-1941. / N.N. Bronovitskaya. - M .: Art — XXI century, 2015. - 320 p. - ( Monuments of architecture of Moscow ). - 2500 copies - ISBN 978-5-98051-121-0 .
- Gaydor T., Kazus I. Styles of Moscow Architecture. - M .: Art — XXI century, 2014. - 616 p. - ISBN 978-5-98051-113-5 }.
- Vaskin A. A. “Archives of the Young Man” Khokhlovsky Lane // Literary Gazette . - 2009. - № 16 .
- Street scheme .
- - Ivanovskaya Gorka, Kulishki, Khitrovka community in LiveJournal