Antarctic penguin   ( lat. Pygoscelis antarctica ) is a species from the genus of Antarctic penguins ( Pygoscelis ) of the penguin family, akin to Adélie penguins and sub-Antarctic penguins .
Antarctic penguin and two chicks
|International Scientific Name|
Pygoscelis antarctica Forster , 1781
IUCN 3.1 Least Concern : 22697761
The area of this species is the coast of Antarctica from the side of South America and the adjacent islands , to the north it is spread to South Georgia , Bouvet and Balleny . Swims to the Falkland Islands . Antarctic penguins are also found on icebergs in the Antarctic . The number of individuals is estimated at 6.5–7.5 million pairs.
Adult antarctic penguins grow to 60-70 cm and weigh about 4.5 kg .  The back side of the body and head, as well as the beak of the Antarctic penguins, are dark gray , almost black , and the front side is white . A thin black stripe runs along the neck , from ear to ear. Chicks are covered with gray down (lighter in front). Penguins build their nests among the stones ; the male and female alternately incubate 1–2 eggs for 5–10 days for 35 days . At the age of 50-60 days the young growth already starts to go out to sea . Adult Antarctic penguins are excellent swimmers and divers, they can reach a depth of 250 meters . The basis of food is krill , sometimes small fish . Antarctic penguins can move up to 1000 kilometers into the sea from nesting sites  .
- The world-famous homosexual behavior penguins Roy and Syllow belong to the genus of Antarctic penguins.
- In June – July 2006, many Antarctic penguins were found in the Rio de Janeiro area . [five]
- Scientists estimate that by the end of the century, about 60% of penguins could disappear due to the melting of ice in the Antarctic  .
- Gladkov N. A. , Rogacheva E. V., Syroechkovsky E. E. Nadotryad Swimming birds (Impennes) // Animal Life. Volume 6. Birds / ed. V. D. Il'icheva, I. V. Mikheev, ch. ed. V.Ye. Sokolov . - 2nd ed. - M .: Enlightenment, 1986. - p. 36. - 527 p.
- Boehme RL , Flint V. Ye. The five-language dictionary of animal names. Birds. Latin, Russian, English, German, French / Under total. ed. Acad. V.E. Sokolova . - M .: Rus. lang, "RUSSO", 1994. - p. 9. - 2030 copies. - ISBN 5-200-00643-0 .
- Life on Antarctica: Birds Archived June 2, 2008.
- Antarctic penguins
- Antarctic penguins are caught in Rio de Janeiro
- Projected asymmetric response: Scientific Reports