The Gagra Range is a mountain range in Abkhazia  . Located between the rivers Psou and Bzyb , on the southern slopes of the Greater Caucasus . The highest point is Mount Agepsta (3,256 m). The spur of the ridge near the city of Gagra comes close to the Black Sea .
|Absolute height||3256 m|
It is composed mainly of limestones , which are cut by the rivers Zhvava-Kvara , Yupshara and others. Their channels form deep canyon-like valleys; karst phenomena are developed, including numerous caves . The lower slopes of the ridge are covered with deciduous and coniferous forests, above are subalpine and alpine meadows. Along the valleys of the Bzyb, Yupshara and Gega rivers, along the ridge, there is a road to Lake Ritsa .
Many caves are discovered and explored by cavers on the Gagra Range, in the Arabica and Achibah massifs, three of them are among the deepest on Earth:
- Verevkina Cave (depth 2204 m)  .
- The Krubera-Voronya-Arabik cave system (total depth 2199 m)  .
- Sarma Cave (depth 1830 m)  .
The decisive share of the hard work performed in the search and first investigation of the cave system named after V.V. Ilyukhin and other natural objects on the Gagra ridge, belongs to Russian and Ukrainian professional researchers and amateurs  .
Lists of caves, maps and other detailed information can be found on the website of the Speleology and Karst Studies Commission  of the Russian Geographical Society (the information-search system “Caves”, section Search for Caves)  , as well as on the sites of various speleoclubs.
- Gagra Range // Great Soviet Encyclopedia : [in 66 vol.] / Ch. ed. O. Yu. Schmidt . - 1st ed. - M .: Soviet Encyclopedia , 1926-1947.
- Encyclopedia of Cyril and Methodius
- Abkhaz ridge
- Bzyb range
- Kodori Range
- This geographical feature is located in Abkhazia , which is a disputed territory . According to the administrative division of Georgia , the disputed territory is occupied by the Abkhaz Autonomous Republic . In fact, the disputed territory is occupied by the partially recognized state of the Republic of Abkhazia .
- Mountain Abkhazia. The deepest caves in the world . https://ria.ru/ . Date of treatment July 30, 2019.
- According to the survey, the depth of Verevkina cave from the entrance was 2204 meters . http://incave.org/ . Date of treatment July 30, 2019.
- Krubera Cave . http://pescheri-mira.ru/ . Date of treatment July 30, 2019.
- Sarma Cave . http://pescheri-mira.ru/ . Date of treatment July 30, 2019.
- Cave system named after Ilyukhin . http://pescheri-mira.ru/ . Date of treatment July 30, 2019.
- Arabica massif. Description of the cave system. V.V. Ilyukhina . http://rgo-speleo.ru/ . Date of treatment July 30, 2019.
- Catalog of Caves . speleoatlas.ru. Date of treatment January 7, 2018.