Kaliningrad Navigation Canal ( until 1946 - Koenigsberg ) is a hydraulic structure located in the Kaliningrad Bay . The length of the channel is 23 miles (43 km), width 50 - 80 meters, depth 9 - 10.5 meters.
|Kaliningrad Sea Canal|
Kaliningrad Sea Canal near the town of Svetly
|The subject of the Russian Federation||Kaliningrad region|
|- head, - mouth|
The sea channel was opened on November 15, 1901 . In 1924-1930 and in 1938-1939, work was carried out to deepen and expand the channel. In 1935, a naval pier was built at Paisa  .
The channel starts from the military harbor of the city of Baltiysk , runs along the northern shore of the Kaliningrad Bay to the port of Kaliningrad . From the rest of the bay, the channel is fenced with 10 artificial bulk islands, with the exception of the section at the entrance to the Primorskaya Bay. Overgrown with deciduous forest islands protect the fairway from sediment from the bay.
The canal can pass vessels up to 200 meters in length with a draft of up to 8.0 meters, and on a section of the channel 22.6 km long, from the entrance pier to the berths of the stevedoring company CJSC Sodruzhestvo-SOYa with a draft of up to 9.4 m and a lifting capacity of 30000t . Channel navigation is carried out all year round. From January to the end of March, the channel may be covered with a thin layer of ice .
Due to the narrowness of the canal, it was impossible to organize simultaneous two-way traffic, which limited the frequency of ships entering the berths. Since July 2007, two-way traffic has been partially carried out through the canal. The average allowed speed of vessels on the channel is 8 knots, the time of passage of the channel is about 3 hours  .
The Kaliningrad Sea Canal enters the port waters of the Kaliningrad seaport , the zone of action of these waters begins in front of the Baltic Moles' sea moles, across the strait to the two-tier bridge in Kaliningrad , and permission from the port services is required to enter this zone.
On the banks of the canal is the city of Svetly and the village of Seaside .
In Baltiysk, through the strait, a car ferry operates year-round, connecting the center of the city with the village of Kos on the Baltic (Vistula) spit . At the exit of the canal in the Gdansk Bay on the North Pier, an equestrian monument to Empress Elizabeth Petrovna (sculptor - George Frangulyan ) is installed.
- Scientifically popular encyclopedia "Water of Russia"
- About port of Kaliningrad (inaccessible link) . Circulation date January 1, 2010. Archived January 30, 2011.
- The map of the channel on the website of the Maritime Administration of the Port of Kaliningrad (Inaccessible link) . Archived April 16, 2008.