“The Taming of the Shrew” ( eng. The Taming of the Shrew ) is a comedy film directed by Franco Zeffirelli , which was released in 1967 . The screen version of the play by William Shakespeare .
|The Taming of the Shrew|
|The taming of the shrew|
|Franco Zeffirelli |
Suso Checchi D'Amico
|In the main|
|Elizabeth Taylor |
|Film company||Columbia Pictures , Royal Films International, FAI|
|Budget||$ 4 million . |
|A country|| Italy |
Baptista Minola wants to marry his two daughters. According to the rules, the eldest daughter, Katharina, should be the first to marry, and only after her younger daughter, Bianca. However, Katharine is an angry, irritable, stupid woman who has a dubious reputation, and, apparently, it is simply impossible to marry her.
However, there is someone - Signor Petruccio, an impoverished penniless nobleman. And for an impressive dowry, he agrees to persuade Katharine to marry him. After some struggle he succeeds. At this time, Bianca is hired as a teacher in love with her by Lucencio. Two more challengers are fighting for Bianca’s hand. Soon there is a wedding of Petruccio and Katharina. He takes his wife to his castle (in a rather unusual way). There he tries to curb her obstinacy. I must say, he is great at it. The next time Baptista sees his daughter, he does not believe his eyes. In the finale, even Petruccio himself is surprised at the happy changes that have occurred to his wife.
- Elizabeth Taylor - Katharina
- Richard Burton - Petruccio
- Cyril Cusack - Grumio
- Michael Hordern - Baptista
- Michael York - Lucentio
- Alfred Lynch - Tranio
- Alan Webb - Gremio
- Natasha Pine - Bianca
- Victor Spinetti - Hortensio
- Mark Dignam - Vincencio
- Vernon Dobcheff
Awards and nominations
- 1967 - three awards “ David di Donatello ”: the best film production, the best foreign actor (Richard Burton), the best foreign actress (Elizabeth Taylor).
- 1967 - hit the top ten films of the year according to the National Council of Film Critics of the United States .
- 1968 - two Oscar nominations : the best work of artists and decorators (Lorenzo Manjardino, John Decyur, Elven Webb, Giuseppe Mariani, Dario Simoni, Luigi Gervazi) and the best costume design (Irene Sharaff, Danilo Donati).
- 1968 - two nominations for the Golden Globe Award : the best film is a comedy or a musical, the best comedian (Richard Burton).
- 1968 - Two BAFTA Award Nominations: Best British Actor (Richard Burton), Best British Actress (Elizabeth Taylor).
- " The Taming of the Shrew ” (Eng.) On the Internet Movie Database