Etterbeck ( FR. Etterbeek , Dutch. Etterbeek ) is one of the nineteen communes that together form the Brussels-Capital Region . Etterbek is located southeast of the Brussels agglomeration. The population of the commune is 42.3 thousand people.
|fr. Etterbeek , Netherlands. Etterbeek|
|Region||Brussels Capital Region|
|History and Geography|
|Timezone||UTC + 1|
|Population||42342 people ( 2007 )|
|Telephone code||+32 2|
Although the campus of the Brussels Free University is often called the Etterback Campus, in reality the campus is completely located on the territory of Ixelles (albeit close to the border of Etterbek). The Etterbek railway station is also located not in Etterbek, but in Ixel, near the Etterbek border.
Etterbek was first mentioned in 1127 as Ietrebecca. The modern form (Etterbeek) was first found in 1138 . The city community Etterbek, translated from the Dutch running creek , arose as a result of the growth of Brussels and its absorption of the village of Malbec in the XIX century. At the beginning of the XX century Etterbek became part of the Brussels agglomeration. Thanks to the construction of new wide streets and other urban development work, Etterbek turned from a village into a suburb on the outskirts of a big city.
Like other areas of Brussels, it is officially bilingual. Officially recognized in it are French , which is spoken by up to 80% of the population, and Dutch . Located in the center of Brussels. Area - 3.15 km ². The population density exceeds 13.620 people / km ², which is significantly higher than the average Brussels rate.
- 2009 - 42.902 inhabitants
There are many parks in this commune:
- Leopold Park (Brussels)
- 50th anniversary park (Brussels)
- Jean Felix Gap Park
There are three metro stations (Mérode, Thieffry and Pétillon) and one railway station (Mérode) in Etterbeck
- Baronie’s House is located on Sint-Pieterssteenweg, No. 56-58. This Baroque building, built in 1680, is the oldest residential building of Etterbeck. As the name implies, the Baron’s House belonged to the owner-baron Etterbek.
- The square of the king-winner . It was opened on February 23, 1936. Named after King Albert I
- Cauchie House (maison Cauchie) - Art Nouveau style house, built by architect Paul Cauchie. Located at Frankenstraat, 5. In addition to this, the most famous, in Etterbek there is another house built by Paul Cauchy. It is located on avenue de la Chasse / Jachtlaan 141
- Church of St. Anton of Padua (Kerk van Sint-Antoon van Padua) - built in 1905-1935, the church in the neo - Gothic style. Located in St. Anton's Square. Architects - Edmond Serneels (Edmond Serneels) and Georges Cochaux (Georges Cochaux).
- Former arsenal . Located at the crossroads of Waversesteenweg and de Louis Schmidtlaan. The construction of the arsenal began in 1884 and was finally completed only in 1946. Until 1976, the arsenal was used by the Belgian army. In 1989, the former arsenal was restored, now its premises are used by different companies.
- The Chews-Rey Garden Area (Cité Jouët-Rey). This block is located between Generaal Henrystraat and de Landbouwersstraat. It consists of thirty-two houses. Chews-Rey was built in 1909-1910 in the spirit of the concept of a garden city .
- Monuments and city sculpture
- The bust of the architect Edmond Serneels (1875-1934) is set on St. Anton's Square, in front of the church, which was built according to his design. The bust was opened in 1935
- Bust of pilot Edmond Thieffry (Edmond Thieffry) - the first pilot to fly from Belgium to Congo (in 1925). The bust is set on Boileaulaan Street, next to the intersections of Edmond Mesenslaan and Nestor Plissartlaan. The bust was opened on July 10, 1932.
- Monument to the gunners of the First World War . Located on the Prinses Jean de Mérodesquare, adjacent to Tervurenlaan. It was opened on May 6, 1934.
- Monument to those who died for their homeland in the First World War . Located next to house 193 on Sint-Pieterssteenweg.
- Monument to police officers killed in the line of duty . Located behind the town hall.
- Monument to Konstantin Meunier - a sculptor from Etterbek. The monument was unveiled on July 21, 1931. The monument is located on Acaciaplein Square
- The Archery Statue is located on Vier Augustusplein Square. It was opened in 1962.
- Statue of the Little Mermaid . Located in Leopoldstadsquare.
- Statue of a Sitting Woman . Located in the quarter between Baron de Castrostraat, Commandant Ponthierstraat, Vrijwilligerslaan and de Louis Schmidtlaan.
Also, the city is known for the fact that here on January 9, 1970 a famous world-famous singer Lara Fabian was born.