"The Serpent and the Rainbow" ( Eng. The Serpent And The Rainbow ) - film . Based (indirectly) on the eponymous book of the Australian ethnobotanist Wade Davis.
|Snake and rainbow|
|The serpent and the rainbow|
|In the main|
|Film company||Universal Pictures , Image Entertainment|
The main character of the film is an anthropologist from Harvard University, who is sent to Haiti to obtain samples (and, if possible, production recipes) of a mysterious powder that suppresses a person’s psyche and all motor functions (plunging him into a state similar to lethargic sleep ).
Of course, the interest of the protagonist did not go unnoticed by the shaman of the voodoo cult, who, in addition to the practice of “making” zombies , also held an important public office in the city of Haiti, where the film's events unfold.
- Bill Pullman - Dennis Alan
- Katie Tyson - Marielle Souls
- Zakes Mokai - Dargen Paterod
- Paul Winfield - Lucien Celine
- Brent Jennings - Louis Mozart
- Konrad Roberts - Christophe
- Badja Jola - Gaston
- Teresa Merritt - Simone
- Paul Gilfoyle - Andrew Cassidy
- Day Young - Mrs Cassidy
- Aleta Mitchell - Celestine
- Jaime Pina Gauthier - Julio
- Evencho Mosquera Slaco - Old Shaman
- The film is based on the book “Snake and Rainbow” by Davis Wade, which in turn is based on the research of Professor of Medicine Perry Winslow (who spent twenty years of his scientific career studying the effects on the psyche of intoxicating drugs used in the cult of voodoo for unconsciousness and deprivation of people will with the subsequent transformation into zombies ). The adaptation of the book to the script was carried out by screenwriter and writer Richard Maxwell.
- To create the effects of evil in the film, the voice of Diamanda Galas was used.
- Wade Davis , the author of the story on which the film was based, at the time of the sale of the rights to its film adaptation, put a condition that the director should be Peter Weir , and the leading man Mel Gibson . However, the film was directed by Wes Craven , and the main role was played by Bill Pullman .
- As political unrest took place in Haiti, local authorities warned crew members that they could not guarantee their safety . Then the shooting was transferred to the neighboring Dominican Republic.
- A CD with film music is considered one of the most expensive rarities in the field of film music, since only 10 copies of such CDs were made; the rest of the soundtrack has been released on vinyl.
- The film was shot in 1988 in the United States and collected $ 19,595,301 in the box office.
- The film was released on DVD in 1998 by Image Entertainment (in 2001 the company ceased to exist). Subsequently, the film was re-released on DVD in 2003 by Universal Studios .