"Sparrow" or "The Story of One Love" ( English Sparrow , Italian. Storia di una capinera ) - a film directed by Franco Zeffirelli , a film adaptation of the novel by Giovanni Verg .
|Sparrow / Storia di una capinera|
|Producer||Vittorio Chekki Gori |
Mario Chekki Gori
|Giovanni Verga (novel) |
|In the main|
|Angela Bettis |
|Composer||Claudio Capponi |
|Film company||Mario e Vittorio Cecchi Gori - CEIAD |
Nippon Film Development and Finance
|A country|| Italy |
1854 Cholera is raging in Sicily . Maria, a 16-year-old novice, is forced to go home in order not to get infected. Stepmother Maria and her sister, who see the girl only as the bride of Christ , condemn the romantic relationship between Maria and her neighbor Nino, and in the end Maria has to return to the monastery to her destiny.
- Angela Bettis - Maria
- Jonathon Shek - Nino
- Sarah-Jane Alexander - Annette
- Andrea Cassar - Gigi
- John Castle - Giuseppe
- Valentina Cortese - superior
- Sinead Cusack - Matilda
- Frank Finlay - Nunzio's father
- Mia Photogill - Judith
- Pat Haywood - Sister Teresa
- Denis Quilli - Baron Cesaro
- Vanessa Redgrave - Sister Agatha
Awards and nominations
Costume designer Piero Tosi was awarded the David di Donatello Award for his work in this film in 1994, and the Italian National Syndicate of Film Journalists Award in 1995.
- From Italian, literally, the name of the film and the novel of the same name can be translated as "The History of Black-Crested Monarch ".