Al-Farabi Kazakh National University ( Kazakh. Әl-Farabi atyndaғy Қazaұ ұlttyқ university ) is the leading multidisciplinary higher educational institution of Kazakhstan .
|Al-Farabi Kazakh National University|
( KazNU )
|Әл-Фараби атытағы Қазақ ұлтыты Universit|
|International name||Al-Farabi Kazakh National University|
|Former names||Kazakh State University S. Kirova|
|Year of foundation||1934|
|Rector||Mutanov Galimkair Mutanovich|
|Location||Kazakhstan , Alma-Ata|
|Legal address||Kazakhstan , Almaty , Al-Farabi Avenue , 71|
The multi-level education system of KazNU includes: higher basic education ( bachelor's degree ), higher specialized education , master's and doctoral programs . Admission to KazNU is carried out on state educational grants and on a contractual basis. Specialists are trained in more than 180 specialties.
KazNU includes 15 faculties , a college , a continuing education institution, 7 research institutes, 25 specialized dissertation councils for the defense of doctoral dissertations in 67 specialties, more than 20 thousand students, undergraduates and doctors are trained at the university. The scientific infrastructure also includes 11 centers.
According to a study by the international rating agency QS World University Rankings, KazNU in the academic year 2018 took 220th place among the 800 best universities in the world  . In the QS University Rankings rating for countries of Eastern Europe and Central Asia (QS University Rankings EECA 2016), KazNU took 11th place out of 200  . In both ratings, KazNU received the highest rating among all universities in Kazakhstan.
The university was opened on January 15, 1934 as part of the biological and physical-mathematical faculties, which trained 54 students, 25 teachers worked (among them 5 professors and 10 associate professors). In 1934, the university was given the name Kirov S. M.  . The universities of Moscow , Leningrad , Kazan , and Ukraine assisted in the formation of the university. Molyukov I. D., Sokolsky D. V. from Moscow State University , Persian K. P. from Kazan University and other scientists came to work here  .
During the Great Patriotic War, 287 students and staff (including 135 volunteers) went to the front. Student Popov A. G. awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union. In memory of those killed in the battles for their homeland, the Glory memorial was erected in educational building No. 4. During the war years, the corresponding member of the USSR Academy of Sciences Dumansky A.V., Dogel V.A. and other scientists who were evacuated to Alma-Ata worked at the university.
During the formation of the university in the 1930s - 1940s, the pedagogical activities of such significant scientists of that time as Auezova M.O. , Gabdullina M. , Tazhibaeva T. T., Kozlovsky M. T., Persian K. P. , Dombrovsky D. A., Bekmakhanova E. B. , Bulatova S. Ya., Neishtata S. A., Ismailova E. S., Khusainova M. Z. and other famous scientists and public figures.
In 1941, the journalism department of the philological faculty was created on the basis of the Kazakh Communist Institute of Journalism. In 1948, historical, geological and geographical, and then economic departments were opened. In 1955, a law faculty was opened on the basis of the law institute, and 2 faculties were formed from the physical and mathematical faculty - physical and mathematical. In 1968, the faculties of journalism and the philosophical and economic were organized  .
In 1971, the university was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.
In 1991, the university was named after al-Farabi. January 9, 1993 the university was awarded the status of a state national higher educational institution  .
In 2014, Expert RA agency assigned the university a rating class of "C", meaning " high level " of graduate training  .
- Faculty of Geography and Environmental Management
- Faculty of Biology and Biotechnology
- Physics and Technology Faculty
- Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics
- Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology
- Faculty of Philology, Literary Studies and World Languages
- Faculty of Journalism
- Faculty of Information Technology
- Faculty of History, Archeology and Ethnology
- Faculty of Philosophy and Political Science
- Higher School of Economics and Business
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Oriental Studies
- Faculty of International Relations
- Faculty of Pre-University Education
- National Student Office for the Bologna Process
- Student Union "Sar"
- Scientific Library
- Profile School at KazNU al-farabi
- College of KazNU named after al-Farabi
- Museum of History of KazNU al-farabi
- Archive of KazNU al-farabi
- Museum of Biology
- Museum of Archeology and Ethnology
- Paleolithic Museum
- KVN team “KazGU Grad”
- Dance Ensemble "Bakhyt"
- Student Drama Theater KazNU al-Farabi "BIZ"
- Bulletin of KazNU
- Newspaper "Kazakh University", International Bulletin (in two languages)
- Senate of Students of KazNU
- The workers union "Parasat"
- Alumni Association
- Military department
- Institute of Advanced Studies
- Council of employers
- The Eidos Theater Club, registered at the city level
- Publishing House "Kazakh University"
- Debate club of KazNU
- Intellectual club of KazNU
- Student Discussion Club "Political Scientist"
- The Talleyrand Diplomatic Club at the Faculty of International Relations
- Al-Farabi Small Academy
- Center for Social Research and Engineering at the Department of Sociology and Social Work
- Political Science Library named after T. T. Mustafina at the Department of Political Science and Political Technologies
- About 300 other student associations, clubs and organizations
- Institute of State and Law
- Research Institute of Experimental and Theoretical Physics (Research Institute of ETF)
- Research Institute of New Chemical Technologies and Materials (NII NHTM)
- Center for Physical and Chemical Research and Analysis Methods (TSFHMA)
- Research Institute of Biology and Biotechnology (SRI PBB)
- Institute for Advanced Studies (IPC)
- Confucius Institute
- Science and Technology Park (Technopark)
- National Open Nanotechnology Laboratory (NNLOT)
University complex of KazGUgrad
The 90-hectare university complex is located between the Esentai River (Vesnovka) in the east, the Botanical Garden in the west, from Timiryazev Street in the north to al-Farabi Avenue in the south. The construction of the complex was started in 1971 . The project was developed by the authors of the Institute for the Design of Higher Educational Establishments “Giprovuz” (architects V. P. Bondarenko - manager, V. Egorov, Yu. S. Zimin, engineer L. P. Samartsev).
Initially  it was planned to carry out construction in two phases: the first stage (until 1986 ) included the construction of educational buildings for humanitarian and natural faculties, administration and research buildings, an assembly hall, dormitories, a sports complex, a health center, and health facilities; the second stage (planned before 1995 ) included the construction of educational buildings of the exact sciences, buildings of research institutes, laboratories and a library for 2.5 million volumes, dormitories, etc.
In the layout of the university complex there are 4 functional zones - educational, industrial, sports, residential and business. The main core connecting these zones is the esplanade . The dominant position is occupied by the high-rise building of the administration (height 75 m), emphasizing the architectural and compositional significance of the entire complex.
As of 2004, the university campus had 10 academic buildings, 17 dormitories, a palace of students named after U. Zholdasbekova, sports complex, publishing house "Kazakh University", newspaper, television and radio studio "Sana"  .
In 2005, in accordance with the university development plan approved by the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan N. A. Nazarbayev , the second stage of the construction of the university complex began with the building of the Scientific Library  .
Administration building of KazNU
Palace of students named after U. A. Dzholdasbekov
- 1934 - 1940 - Olikhov Fedor Trofimovich
- 1940 - 1947 - Lukyanets, Ivan Kupriyanovich
- 1948 - 1953 - Tazhibaev Tulegen Tazhibaevich
- 1953 - 1955 - Zakarin Askar Zakaryevich
- 1955 - 1961 - Darkanbaev Temirbay Baybusynovich
- 1961 - 1970 - Zakarin Askar Zakaryevich
- 1970 - 1986 - Dzholdasbekov Umirbek Arislanovich
- 1986 - 1988 - Ergozhin Edil Ergozhayevich
- 1988 - 1991 - Abdildin Meirkhan Mubarakul
- 1991 - 2001 - Naribaev Kopzhasar Naribaevich
- 2001 - 2008 - Kozhamkulov, Tolegen Abdisagievich
- 2008 - 2010 - Zhumagulov Bakytzhan Tursynovich
- from 2010 to the present - Mutanov Galimkair Mutanovich 
- Category: Al-Farabi Kazakh National University graduates
- Guide to the funds of the Soviet period . TsGA RK. Date of treatment July 14, 2014. Archived July 14, 2014.
- Al-Farabi Kazakh National University . Top Universities (July 16, 2015). Date of treatment May 1, 2016.
- QS University Rankings: EECA 2016 .
- Kazakh National University // Kazakhstan. National Encyclopedia . - Almaty: Kazakh encyclopedias , 2005. - T. III. - ISBN 9965-9746-4-0 .
- Alma-Ata. Encyclopedia - Editor-in-chief Kozybaev M.K., Alma-Ata, Ch. ed. Kazakh Soviet Encyclopedia, 1963
- Rating of higher educational institutions of the CIS countries
- KazNU named after al-Farabi . KazNU website . Archived on April 27, 2011. Date of treatment May 11, 2008.
- Kazinform. Galimkair Mutanov appointed Rector of KazNU named after al-Farabi . Date of treatment October 7, 2010. Archived March 12, 2012.
- Official site of Kazakh National University named after al-Farabi
- View of the campus of Kazakhstan National University on the Yandex.Panorama service.
When writing this article, material from the publication Kazakhstan. National Encyclopedia ”(1998-2007), provided by the editors of the“ Kazakh Encyclopedia ”under a Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0 Unported license .