Jack Allan Abramoff ( Abramoff  or Abramov  , Jack Allan Abramoff / ˈeɪbrəmɒf /; February 28, 1959 , Atlantic City , New Jersey ) is a well-known American lobbyist and businessman involved in a series of corruption scandals.
At a hearing of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs. 2004 year
|Birth name||Jack Allan Abramof|
|Date of Birth||or|
|Place of Birth|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Lobbying
- 3 Criminal Cases
- 4 After release
- 5 Cinema
- 6 notes
- 7 References
Born February 28, 1959 in a Jewish family. At the age of 10, he moved to California. He studied at a school in Beverly Hills . Orthodox Jew  .
Abramoff was a very experienced and effective lobbyist. He lobbied for the following projects  :
- The International Freedom Foundation in 1983-1996 defended the apartheid regime in South Africa . This affair brought Abramoff at least $ 1.5 million;
- Failure to introduce casino taxation on Indian reservations (since 1995). Native American tribes paid Abramoff $ 83 million;
- Protecting the authorities of the Northern Mariana Islands and local business. Abramoff managed to maintain the status of a tax-free zone for this territory. Territory authorities alone paid Abramoff at least $ 6.7 million;
- Protection of the Russian company Naftasib, as a result of which the Russian authorities were able to get an IMF loan on the eve of the 1998 default ;
- Organization of a meeting between US President George W. Bush and Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohammad , who paid $ 1.2 million for Abramoff.
He was arrested in 2005 on charges of bribing a number of Republican congressmen. In 2006, he pleaded guilty to tax evasion, deceiving customers and conspiracy to bribe officials, financial fraud. Given the assistance to the court, Abramoff was sentenced to the shortest possible term of 5 years and 10 months and the payment of $ 21 million in compensation (together with his partner)  . It was found that SunCruz Casinos owned 11 casino ships in which players departed from Florida ports to neutral waters , where US laws governing the gambling industry did not apply. Kidan and Abramoff forged documentation indicating that they invested their own $ 23 million in the purchase of floating casinos, on the basis of which they were able to get a $ 80 million loan for this transaction  .
In 2008, Abramoff was sentenced to 4 years in prison for violation of lobbying law: providing officials with expensive gifts, lunches and dinners in expensive restaurants, as well as sports and tourist trips  . In particular, Abramoff financed the travel of Congressional leader Thomas Delay to Scotland on vacation, provided him with tickets to sporting events, and paid for his lunches and dinners in restaurants. 
In the article “ On the Situation with Human Rights in the USA - 2006 ”, provided by the Press Office of the State Council of the PRC , on the Abramoff case, it is noted: “In 2006, the most serious corruption scandal in the USA over the last decades - the so-called. “The case of lobbyists”, with Jack Abramoff becoming the main person involved: 4 congressmen have already resigned and more than a dozen are under investigation ”  .
After his conviction, Jack worked closely with the investigation, testifying against former fellow lobbyists and congressmen. In particular, his testimony became one of the key episodes that led to the resignation and imprisonment of Bob Ney , the former Republican majority leader in the US House of Representatives .
In connection with the Abramoff case in 2006, Republican Randy Cunningham received 8 years in prison for receiving bribes worth $ 2.4 million, and in 2010 Thomas Delay was assigned 3 years in prison for participating in a criminal conspiracy to launder money  .
In early June 2010, Abramoff was released and got a job at a kosher pizzeria in Baltimore  .
In 2010, the movie " Casino Jack " was released, telling about the life of Jack Abramoff. The businessman himself was played by Kevin Spacey .
However, before becoming a hero of cinematic history, Abramoff participated in the cinema on the other hand, producing the films “ Red Scorpion ” and “ Red Scorpion 2 ”, and for the first he wrote the script  .
- Internet Movie Database
- USA: Republicans elected new leader in House of Representatives
- Lobbyism and Politics: American History / Lobbyism and GR / Publications / Stratagem.org
- The Neoconservative Revolution: Jewish Intellectuals and the Shaping of Public Policy
- Lobbying in the USA. How lobbying is carried out in the USA and what can be borrowed for Russia. - M.: ISEPI, 2013. - P. 29-30. Access mode: http://www.politanalitika.ru/upload/iblock/5f4/5f4353e989c6fe783a3e0d846d73c6f4.pdf Archived October 18, 2016 on the Wayback Machine
- Portyakova N. Jack Abramoff will be sent to kosher food // Kommersant , No. 56 (3387) on 03/31/2006
- Lobbying in the USA. How lobbying is carried out in the USA and what can be borrowed for Russia. - M .: ISEPI, 2013. - P. 31. Access mode: http://www.politanalitika.ru/upload/iblock/5f4/5f4353e989c6fe783a3e0d846d73c6f4.pdf Archived October 18, 2016 on the Wayback Machine
- “On the Human Rights Situation in the USA - 2006”
- Lobbying in the USA. How lobbying is carried out in the USA and what can be borrowed for Russia. - M .: ISEPI, 2013. - P. 32. Access mode: http://www.politanalitika.ru/upload/iblock/5f4/5f4353e989c6fe783a3e0d846d73c6f4.pdf Archived October 18, 2016 on the Wayback Machine
- Former lobbyist Abramoff found work at a kosher pizzeria
- Jack Abramoff at IMDB
- The house that Jack destroyed
- Department of the Interior: Communications Between DOI and Jack Abramoff (2005)
- The Fast Rise and Steep Fall of Jack Abramoff: How a Well-Connected Lobbyist Became the Center of a Far-Reaching Corruption Scandal , The Washington Post , December 29, 2005.
- Abramoff Pleads Guilty to Three Counts: Lobbyist to Testify About Lawmakers in Corruption Probe , The Washington Post , January 4, 2006.