John Francis O'Shea  ( Eng. John Francis O'Shea , Irl. Seán Sé , MFA / /  ; born April 30, 1981 in Waterford , Ireland ) - a former Irish footballer known for on performances for the English clubs " Manchester United " and " Sunderland ". Universal player: could act on the position of the central, flank defender and defensive midfielder . Occasionally appeared on the position of the central striker and goalkeeper. He is the third player in the number of matches for the Ireland national team (118 games).
|Full name||John Francis O'Shea|
|Nickname||Shizi ( English Sheasy ) |
Waterford , Ireland
|Growth||191  cm|
At the age of 17, John O'Shea signed a professional contract with Manchester United . His debut for the main part of the club took place on October 13, 1999 in the Football League Cup match against Aston Villa , in which Manchester United lost 3: 0  .
In 2000, John went to rent in the club " Bournemouth ", and the following year - in the Belgian " Antwerp ". He then returned to Manchester United and from the 2002/2003 season began to play in the first team, demonstrating a versatile game in all defense positions, as well as the position of the central midfielder. In 2003, O'Shea won the first champion title with the " red devils ".
At the beginning of the 2003/04 season, O'Shea scored his first goal for Manchester United: the Irishman's ball ensured his team a victory over Wolverhampton (1: 0)  . During the season, Rio Ferdinand did not play for 5 months due to the disqualification received after skipping the doping test  . John O'Shea replaced Ferdinand in the center of defense and helped Manchester to reach the FA Cup final in which the Sir Alex beat Millwall 3-0. John himself spent the entire 90 minutes on the field  .
O'Shea showed a stable form throughout the 2004/2005 season. At that time, there were rumors about the possible departure of the Irish man from “Manchester United” to “ Liverpool ” or “ Newcastle ”, but this did not happen. One of the highlights of the season, in general, unsuccessful for the “ red devils ” season was the victory on the road over London “ Arsenal ” with a score of 4: 2. In this match, O'Shea scored the fourth goal for his team, moving Manuel Almunia from 17 meters  .
Injury Gary Neville in the 2005/2006 season gave John a chance to gain a foothold in the first team. But the season turned out to be uneven for him. In October 2005, Manchester United captain Roy Keane criticized O'Shea along with a group of other players ( Alan Smith , Darren Fletcher , Kiran Richardson ) in an interview with the MUTV club channel  . The reason was the guest defeat of Mankunians from Middlesbrough (4: 1).
I am not surprised by the defeat - on the contrary, I was expecting something similar ... When they [the young players] concluded their contracts, they decided that they had already achieved success. But they themselves are indebted to the coach, the staff of the team and the fans. By signing a new contract, these guys thought it was the best day of their career. They thought they had achieved everything. But in fact, they have not achieved anything ... If you are well paid, you must make serious efforts to earn it.- Roy Keane 
On February 4, 2007, during the match of the English Premier League against Tottenham , O'Shea replaced Edwin van der Sar at the gate, who broke his nose during the selection of the ball  (by that time, all three substitutions were used). John managed to beat Robbie Keane when he went one on one with him  , and made some more successful game actions. After this incident, Manchester United fans sang Ireland's number one in honor of O'Shea.
A month later, John brought United a win over Liverpool at Anfield (0: 1), distinguishing himself in the last minute of the match   . Total for the 2006/2007 season O'Shea scored five times. His goals helped the Red Devils to successfully perform in the Premier League, returning the title of champions of England, lost three years ago.
During the 2007/2008 season, due to the many injuries of defense and midfield players, O'Shea’s universal abilities as a diverse player allowed him quite often to come in for substitution and in the starting lineup. September 26, 2007 in the match of the Football League Cup "Manchester United" - " Coventry City " O'Shea first entered the field with the captain's armband  . November 23, John extended the contract with the club until 2012  . The season of 2007/2008 was for Manchester the best in nine years: according to its results, the Red Devils defended the title of champions of England and won the Champions League .
Due to injuries of Gary Neville and Wes Brown, O'Shea conducted the 2008/2009 season as the club’s main right back  . On January 20, 2009, he scored a goal against Derby County in the second leg of the League Cup semi-final, Manchester United won 4-2 and was able to reach the final despite losing the first game (0-1)  . O'Shea took part in the final match at Wembley , where the Tottenham London turned out to be a rival to the Red Devils . The teams failed to score each other in main and extra time, and in the post-match penalty shootout United turned out to be stronger and won the first trophy of the season  . The second was the Premier League Championship, which Sir Alex won three times in a row.
April 29, John scored the only goal in the first semifinal match of the Champions League against Arsenal  . Manchester United reached the final of the tournament , defeating the London club with a score of 4: 1 in the sum of two meetings, but lost to Barcelona (0: 2). Unlike last year's final, O'Shea appeared on the field from the first minutes and played the full match.
For the next two seasons, O'Shea did not play as often in the Red Devils . He twice took Manchester United to the field as a captain: in the first round of the Premier League of the 2009/10 season (1: 0 victory over Birmingham )  and in the semi-finals of the Champions League on May 4, 2011.
On July 7, 2011, Manchester United English midfielder John O'Shea officially became a Sunderland player. The 30-year-old Irishman signed a four-year contract.  On August 27, O'Shea held the first match for Sunderland, and on December 29, 2012, John scored for the first time in the new club, which, however, did not save the black cats from losing the match with Tottenham  .
In October 2014, already being the captain of Sunderland, O'Shea signed a new two-year contract with the club  . In the 2014/15 season, he spent 37 matches in the Premier League, conceding only one game due to injury (in the 36th round against Everton  ). After the departure of the " black cats " in the championship following the 2016/17 season, John extended the contract for another year  .
Career in the national team
The Irishman's national team debuted on August 15, 2001  , when he came off the bench in the 84th minute of the match against Croatia . O'Shea participated in the qualifying tournaments for all major competitions, starting with the selection for the 2002 World Cup , as well as in the European Championships of 2012 and 2016 . In qualifying for Euro 2012, he played in 9 matches, including the return play against the Estonian national team , and helped the Irish to reach the European Championship for the first time since 1988.
On October 14, 2014, John played the 100th match for the national team of Ireland, in which he managed to hit the German gate and bring his team a draw in the UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match (1: 1)  .
Goals for the national team
Results (goals) for the national team of Ireland are listed first.
|one||August 19, 2003||Lansdown Road , Dublin||Australia||1 : 1||2: 1||Friendly match|
|2||October 15, 2013||Aviva , Dublin||Kazakhstan||2 : 1||3: 1||2014 World Cup qualifier|
|3||October 14, 2014||Veltins Arena , Gelsenkirchen||Germany||1 : 1||1: 1||Qualifying matches of Euro 2016|
- Champion of the English Premier League ( 5 ): 2002/03 , 2006/07 , 2007/08 , 2008/09 , 2010/11
- FA Cup Winner : 2003/04
- Winner of the Football League Cup ( 3 ): 2005/06 , 2008/09 , 2009/10
- Winner of the Supercup of England ( 4 ): 2003 , 2007 , 2008 , 2010
- UEFA Champions League Winner: 2007/08
- Club World Cup Winner: 2008
Total: 15 trophies
- European Junior Champion : 1998
Total: 1 trophy
|Club||Season||League||Cups ||Euro cups ||Other ||Total|
(updated as of May 6, 2018)
On June 8, 2010, John O'Shea married his long-time friend Yvonne Manning  . The wedding ceremony was held in County Kildare , Ireland, in the presence of 180 guests, including John's partners in Manchester United and the national team, as well as Wayne Rooney Colin’s wife.
- Joy for John . ManUtd.com (26 September 2009). The date of circulation is February 14, 2011. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Player Profile. John O'Shea (Eng.) . PremierLeague.com . The appeal date is September 26, 2010. Archived December 23, 2009.
- According to the rules of practical transcription , the correct way to transfer a surname is O'Shea . See also: Rybakin A. I. Dictionary of English surnames: approx. 22,700 names / reviewer: Dr. Filol. Sciences A.V. Superanskaya . - 2nd ed., Sr. - M .: Astrel: AST, 2000. - P. 342. - ISBN 5-271-00590-9 (Astrel). - ISBN 5-17-000090-1 (AST).
- Pronunciation: O'Shea (English) . WordReference.com (21 May 2009). The appeal date is October 6, 2012. Archived April 2, 2013.
- John O'Shea, Manchester United player (English) . Aboutmanutd.com . The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- O'Shea seals Man Utd win (Eng.) . BBC Sport (28 August 2003).
- Ferdinand banned for eight months (English) . BBC Sport (19 December 2003). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Man Utd win FA Cup (English) . BBC Sport (22 May 2004).
- Arsenal 2-4 Man Utd (English) . BBC Sport (February 1, 2005). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Keane gagged by United after TV attack on players (English) . The Guardian (November 1, 2005). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Keane demands Man Utd clear-out (English) . BBC Sport (2 November 2005). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Tottenham 0-4 Man Utd (English) . BBC Sport (4 February 2007). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Tottenham Hotspur 0 Manchester United 4: United's Divine Demolition of the Marks by Ronaldo's act of devilry (Eng.) . The Independent (5 February 2007). The date of circulation is September 30, 2017. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd (English) . BBC Sport (3 March 2007). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Liverpool 0-1 Manchester United - 2006/2007 [HD ] (English) . Youtube (3 August 2018).
- Manchester United 0 Coventry City 2: Ferguson 'flabbergasted' as gamble on youth backfires (eng.) . The Independent (26 September 2007).
- Man Utd agree with John O'Shea (English) . The Telegraph (23 November 2007). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- John O'Shea Manchester United handles Champions League . The Guardian (May 20, 2009).
- Man Utd 4-2 Derby (4-3 agg) (English) . BBC Sport (January 20, 2009).
- Man Utd 0-0 Tottenham (aet) (English) . BBC Sport (March 1, 2009).
- Man Utd 1-0 Arsenal (English) . BBC Sport (29 April 2009). The date of circulation is January 14, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- O'Shea happy with competition (English) . Sky Sports (August 18, 2009).
- Man Utd's John O'Shea signs four-year Sunder deal (Eng.) . BBC Sport (July 7, 2011). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham . BBC Sport (29 December 2012). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.
- John O'Shea: Sunderland skipper signs two-year contract extension (English) . BBC Sport (16 October 2014).
- Sunderland's John O'Shea for crunch clash with Leicester City (Eng.) . Chronicle Live (9 May 2015).
- John O'Shea signs new one-year deal with Sunderland (Eng.) . Sky Sports (June 30, 2017).
- John O'Shea (Eng.) . FAI.ie (April 28, 2009). The date of circulation is October 14, 2014. Archived October 20, 2013.
- 1-2 Germany 1-2 R. of Ireland (English) . BBC Sport (14 October 2014). The appeal date is November 23, 2014. Archived November 23, 2014.
- FA Cup , Football League Cup .
- UEFA Champions League .
- Англии England Super Cup , UEFA Super Cup , Football League Trophy .
- Coleen Rooney attends wedding of Manchester United defender John O'Shea (Eng.) . The Daily Mail (June 9, 2010). The date of circulation is January 13, 2013. Archived January 21, 2013.