Dresden 's Golden Horseman ( German: Goldener Reiter ) - equestrian statue of Elector of Saxony and Poland Augustus the Strong . The monument is located on Neustädter Markt Square ( German: Neustädter Markt ) between the Augustusbrücke Bridge ( German Augustusbrücke ) and Hauptstrasse ( German Hauptstraße ).
On the monument, Augustus the Strong is depicted in Roman armor , riding a horse in the direction of the Kingdom of Poland . Initially, the gilding of the monument was fire , during the restoration of 1956, the gilding technique from the sheet was used.
The equestrian statue of Augustus the Strong was made by copper sculptor Ludwig Wiedemann and covered with a gold amalgam in 1732-1734. The construction of the pedestal created by the French architect fr. Zacharias Longuelune , began in 1735. The grand opening of the monument took place in 1736 .
The restoration of the monument in 1884 was carried out under the direction of the architect Konstantin Lipsius . At the same time, Lipsius completed the design of the pedestal.
During the Second World War 1943 - 44 years. the monument disassembled into parts was taken for storage to the Pilnitz Castle. The post-war restoration of the monument was entrusted in 1953 to the sculptor Walter Fleming. In 1956, the monument took its usual place.
The most recent restoration of the monument was carried out in 2001-2003.
- Bronze Horseman
- Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Golden Horseman