Frank Leslie ( real name Henry Carter  ) ( Eng. Frank Leslie , March 29, 1821 - January 10, 1880 ) is a well-known English and American artist - engraver , publisher , active illustrator of the US Civil War of 1861 - 1865 . He published the famous Frank Leslie Illustrated Newspaper .
Leslie in 1878-79
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth||Ipswich , Suffolk , England|
|Date of death|
|Place of death|
Henry Carter, who later took the pseudonym Frank Leslie, was born in the town of Ipswich in the county of Suffolk in England, in the family of gloves manufacturer Joseph Carter. Back in school, the boy proved to be a talented artist, and by his teens he had reached the profession of engraver in his skill. So, at the age of thirteen, Henry made wood engraving of the coat of arms of his hometown Ipswich, for which he received praise from his teacher   .
For a long time he worked in the editorial office of the weekly Illustrated London News . In 1848 , at the peak of European revolutions, he emigrated to the United States , where for a year he worked under the pseudonym Frank Leslie.
In 1855, in New York, he founded the very popular edition of Frank Leslis Illustrated Newspeaker  . The peak of the newspaper’s popularity occurred during the Civil War , when Leslie sent dozens of artists to sketch the fighting from nature. A large number of newspapers of excellent quality prints now have immediate historical value.
He paid very large fees - every journalist and illustrator in the USA dreamed of being published in his publications.
In 1877 he went bankrupt, in 1880 he died in New York from a tumor in his throat  . After his financial collapse, his wife, the publisher of the Frank Leslis Lysis Journalist feminist magazine, not only restored the popularity of Frank Leslie 's Illustrated Newspaper , but also increased it  .
- The most popular illustrated magazine in Russia before the revolution , Niva , which began to be published by Adolf Marx in 1868 , was largely guided by the appearance and contents of Leslie's newspaper.
- Leslie's caricatures of Abraham Lincoln, 1860-1865
In the literature
- Gore Vidal , 1876 (novel) .
- Jack Finney , Between Two Times .
- German National Library , Berlin State Library , Bavarian State Library , etc. Record # 101934262 // General regulatory control (GND)
- Find a Grave
- Leslie, Frank
- Frank Leslie (Henry Carter) (1821-1880)
- Dictionary of Literary Biography on Frank Leslie
- History of world journalism. CHAPTER 1
- Frank Leslie - “The Belle of the Boardroom” unopened (link not available) . Date of treatment April 27, 2008. Archived July 23, 2008.