Gavian  ( port. Gavião ; [ gɐvi'ɐ̃ũ ]) is an urban-type village in Portugal , the center of the municipality of the same name in Portalegre County. The population is 1.8 thousand inhabitants (village), 4.3 thousand inhabitants (municipality). The village and the municipality are included in the economic and statistical region of Alentejo and the Altu-Alentejo subregion. According to the old administrative division, it was part of the province of Altu Alentejo .
|Historical area||Altu Alentejo|
|Internal division||5 districts|
|The mayor||Georges Martins Jesus|
|History and Geography|
|Timezone||UTC0 , summer UTC + 1|
|Population||4,252 people ( 2006 )|
|Density||15 people / km²|
Village holiday - November 23 .
The village is located 49 km northwest of Portalegri on the left bank of the Tagus River .
The municipality borders:
- in the north - Masan municipality
- in the east - Niza municipality
- in the southeast - Kratu municipality
- in the southwest - the municipality of Ponte de Sor
- in the west - Masan municipality, Abrantes
|The population of the municipality of Gavian (1801-2004)|
The village was founded in 1519 .
|Fregezia (districts) of the municipality of Gavian|
|Number of inhabitants|
people / km²
- Spain, Portugal. Reference card. Index of geographical names. - M .: GUGK USSR, 1989.
- Portalegre (Borough)
- Portalegre County Municipalities
- Portalegre County Districts