“Mile of Miracles” or “The Magic Mile” ( born Miracle Mile ) is a film directed by Steve De Jarnatt , released in 1988 .
|Mile of Wonders|
|Producer||Steve De Jarnatt|
|Producer||John Daily |
|Steve De Jarnatt|
|In the main|
|Anthony Edwards |
|Operator||Theo van de Sande|
|Film company||Hemdale Film Corporation, Miracle Mile Productions Inc.|
|Budget||$ 3.7 million|
|Fees||$ 1.1 million (in the USA)|
The film begins with a meeting and mutual attraction of the main characters - Harry ( Anthony Edwards ) and Julia ( Mayor Winningham ).
That evening, being late for an appointment with Julia, Harry walks past a telephone box. The bell rings and Harry picks up the phone. The caller on the other end takes Harry for the other and reports that in 50 minutes the US will start a nuclear war . Shocked Harry talks about what happened to visitors to the cafe.
At first, no one believes him, but a businesslike woman with a cell phone just in case calls her influential friends in Washington, and it turns out that many of them are already on their way to the southern hemisphere. The cafe begins to panic. A business woman invites everyone to urgently evacuate by plane, and by telephone orders the preparation of a helicopter from the roof of a nearby skyscraper for friends and relatives.
Visitors and cafe staff get into the van and drive to the airport, while Harry sets off in search of Julia. Finding Julia, he tries to get to the helicopter and find the pilot. At some point, Harry and Julia begin to doubt that there will really be a war, but soon an alarm is really announced and the streets of the city are plunged into chaos.
When Harry and Julia are already flying away in a helicopter, nuclear missiles strike Los Angeles. Downed by an electromagnetic pulse , the helicopter falls into the asphalt lake of La Brea , next to which young people met the day before. While the helicopter plunges, they have the last minute to say goodbye to each other.
- Anthony Edwards - Harry Wachello
- Mayor Winningham - Julia Peters
- John Agar - Ivan Peters
- Lou Hancock - Lucy Peters
- Micheltie Williamson - Wilson
- Kurt Fuller - Gersted
- Denise Crosby - Landa
- Diane Delano - Stewardess
- Lucille Bliss - an old woman in a cafe
- Brian Thompson - Fitness Trainer
- Janett Goldsteen - Beverly Hills Girl No. 1
- The tape took part in the competition program of the Sundance Film Festival and the Catalan Film Festival in Sitges, where it received a prize for best special effects, and was also nominated for the Independent Spirit Award for Best Screenplay (Steve De Jarnatt) and Best Supporting Actress (Mayor Winningham) .
- Miracle Mile is a Los Angeles area in which almost all the action of the film takes place.
- The film is mentioned in the science fiction novel “Virtual Light” by William Gibson - one of the characters obsessed with films of the 20th century talks about it.