Southern Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Federal State Budgetary Institution of Science “Federal Research Center Southern Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences”, UNC RAS) is a regional division of the Russian Academy of Sciences , uniting research groups from different cities of the Southern and North Caucasian federal districts. Chairman of the JRC RAS - Doctor of Geographical Sciences S. V. Berdnikov . Academician G. G. Matishov is the supervisor of the JSC RAS. The Presidium of the JRC RAS is located in Rostov-on-Don .
|Southern Scientific Center of RAS|
|Type of organization|
|The chairman||S.V. Berdnikov|
|supervisor||G. G. Matishov|
|Chief Scientific Secretary||N. I. Bulysheva|
|Established||December 19, 2002|
Created by decision of the General Meeting of the Russian Academy of Sciences on December 19, 2002 .
It consists of more than 500 people, including 5 academicians and 5 corresponding members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, about 100 doctors and about 250 candidates of science  .
As priority areas of fundamental and applied research of the UNC RAS declared:
- astrophysical research;
- multiprocessor systems;
- theory of molecular computers ;
- methods for predicting and preventing natural and man-made disasters;
- creation of luminescent materials based on nanotechnology;
- problems of modernization of railway transport;
- development of technologies for monitoring, forecasting and development of water, energy, oil and gas and biological resources of arid zones of Russia;
- ecosystem and environmental engineering studies of the southern seas;
- socio-political, economic, humanitarian problems of the densely populated and multinational South of Russia, including the North Caucasus.
The JRC RAS has close ties with the Southern Federal University , Kuban , Stavropol and Volgograd State Universities, technical universities in Taganrog , Astrakhan , Rostov-on-Don , Volgograd , Stavropol and Novocherkassk , on the basis of which laboratories and basic departments have been created.
Since 2005, the UNC RAS has been publishing the multidisciplinary journal “Science of the South of Russia” (from 2004 to 2015 - “Bulletin of the Southern Scientific Center”; published once a quarter )  .