“Toys” is a comedy film released in 1992 by 20th Century Fox . The film was directed by Barry Levinson , with Robin Williams in the lead role. The picture failed at the box office, despite the good cast and excellent production. Jamie Foxx made his acting debut in the film.
|Producer||Mark Johnson |
|Barry Levinson |
|In the main|
|Robin Williams |
|Composer||Hans Zimmer |
|Film company||20th Century Fox , Baltimore Pictures|
|Fees||$ 23,300,000 (in the US)|
At the beginning of the film, we see the Zivo toy factory. Its owner, Kenneth Zivo, dies, and transfers the ownership of the factory to his brother, retired general Leland Zivo, considering his son Leslie insufficiently prepared. Zivo dies, and his brother at first does not know what to do with the factory, and then decides to make military toys. He connects his son Patrick to the factory management.
The general uses for his purposes an increasingly large part of the factory, which Leslie, his sister Alceisha, and their friends Gwen and Owen do not like. Leslie begins to suspect something was wrong, seeing how the children were brought to the factory. He penetrates the secret part of the factory and realizes that children are taught to control military vehicles through video games. Patrick decides to act against his father.
Together with Leslie, they are trying to get to the central control panel and stop the general. Alceisha, Gwen and Owen come with them. There is a battle between the new military toys of the general and the old toys made by Zivo for many years.
At the very end, the general’s secret weapon “guinea pig” shoots at Alseisha, who turns out to be an android made by old Zivo for his son. Leslie mends her sister, Gwen agrees to become his girlfriend.
- Robin Williams - Leslie Ziveau
- Michael Gambon - Retired General Leland Zivo
- Joan Cusack - Alceisa Zivo
- Robin Wright - Gwen Tyler
- LL Cool Jay - Captain Patrick Zivo
- Donald O'Connor - Kenneth Ziveau
- Arthur Malet - Owen Owens
- Jamie Foxx - Baker
- Jack Worden - Old General Zivo
- Debi Meysar - nurse Debbie
- Yardley Smith - Miss Drum
Awards and nominations
- 1993 - participation in the competition program of the Berlin Film Festival .
- 1993 - two nominations for the Academy Award : the best work of the artist and decorator ( Ferdinando Scarfiotti , Linda Deschenna), the best costumes (Albert Wolski).
- 1993 - six Saturn Award nominations : Best Fantasy Film, Best Actor (Robin Williams and Michael Gambon), Best Supporting Actress (Robin Wright), Best Music (Hans Zimmer, Trevor Horn), Best Costumes (Albert Wolski).
- 1993 - nomination for the Golden Raspberry Award for the worst directing (Barry Levinson).
- Toys on the Internet Movie Database
- "Toys" (English) on the site allmovie
- "Toys" on the Rotten Tomatoes website
- Toys on Box Office Mojo
- A review of Toys from Rolling Stone
- Toys (VG) (link not available) from Gamespot
- Kenneth Turan. MOVIE REVIEWS Overstuffed `Toys' . The Los Angeles Times (December 18, 1992). Date of treatment February 23, 2013. Archived February 26, 2013.