Port Kaliningrad is a Russian port on the southeast coast of the Baltic Sea , the only ice-free port of Russia in the Baltic.
|Port of Kaliningrad|
|Location||southeast coast of the Baltic Sea|
|Products||Transshipment and handling|
On March 23, 1994, the State Institution “Maritime Administration of the Port of Kaliningrad” was created (GU “MAP Kaliningrad). On July 01, 2004, the MAP Kaliningrad State Institution underwent a reorganization, being divided into 2 separate institutions: the Federal State Institution AMP Kaliningrad and the Kaliningrad Branch of FSUE Rosmorport. On November 19, 2008 the Federal State Institution “AMP Kaliningrad” was reorganized by merging with it the Federal State Institution “State Administration of the Kaliningrad Sea Fishing Port” (Federal State Institution “GA KMRP”). On August 11, 2015, FGU “AMP Kaliningrad” was renamed to the Federal State Budget Institution “Rescue and Coordination Center of Rosmorrechflot” (FSBI “RCC of Rosmorrechflot”). On September 01, 2014, a branch of the FSBI “Baltic Sea Amp” was established and started operating in the seaport of Kaliningrad. The branch is a structural subdivision of a legal entity - the Federal State Budgetary Institution “Administration of the Baltic Sea Seaports” (FSBI “Baltic Sea Fleet”). Since the establishment of the Branch, the provision of public services for ensuring the safety of navigation and order in the seaport of Kaliningrad, for the organization of maritime navigation in the seaport of Kaliningrad and on the approaches to it, and other functions provided for by the Regulation on the branch, has been performed by the captain of the seaport of Kaliningrad, who heads the Branch.
The port has a favorable position. The distance to the capitals of neighboring states - Vilnius , Riga , Minsk , Warsaw , Berlin , Copenhagen and Stockholm is from 315 to 1460 kilometers, and to the largest foreign ports in the Baltic - from 67 (Gdansk) to 730 (Oulu) nautical miles. The port of Kaliningrad is connected by container lines to the ports of the Netherlands , Great Britain , Germany , Poland , Finlandi , Latvia , Estonia , Sweden , Denmark , Norway , France and Lithuania .
The port of Kaliningrad is territorially divided into four cargo regions: Kaliningrad cargo region, Svetlovsky cargo region, Baltic cargo region , as well as the remote cargo region Pionersky .
Port berths, with a total length of 17 km, are located on the northern side of the Kaliningrad Sea Canal, as well as in the estuary of the Pregol River with adjacent harbors.
17 different stevedore companies provide cargo transshipment services: oil products, coal , coke , timber and forest products ( lumber , plywood , pulp , paper), ferrous metals, ferroalloys , mineral fertilizers (liquid, in bulk and in various packaging), grain cargo . The main product exported and imported through the port is rolled metal.
Under construction and design developments are 5 more new terminals.
The water areas of the fishing and trade ports border each other and include three artificial harbors: Volnaya, Industrialnaya, Lesnoy and parts of the Pregol river.
- In 2006, cargo turnover grew by 4%, in 2007 - by 2.6%, and in the first quarter of 2008 by 13% compared to the same period last year.
- 2009 - 12.4 million tons  (19.6% less than in 2008).
- January - March 2010 - 3.7 million tons  (an increase of 24.8%)
More than half of the port’s cargo turnover is accounted for by 3 stevedoring companies - Kaliningrad Commercial Sea Port OJSC (about 17%), Lukoil-Kaliningradmorneft LLC (29%) and Kaliningrad Sea Fishing Port FSUE (about 19%)  .
|Cargo turnover million tons ||13.7||13.9||12.7||11.7||13.8||14.1|
Commercial Sea Port
Trading Port History
The first mention of the harbor at Königsberg Castle dates back to 1339  . This year is considered the year the trading port was founded. The following year, 1340, the three medieval cities of Altstadt , Löbenicht and Kneiphof , which were located next to the Königsberg Castle, entered the Hansa trade union. Since then, the port has been constantly developing and expanding. In 1440, work was carried out on the Pregel River along the embankments of Alstadt and Kneiphof to deepen the bottom. In 1682, by decision of the Kneiphof City Council, a dam was laid along the banks of the Pregel, which was then extended to the bay in 1736  .
In 1811, the East Prussian government transferred control of the Königsberg and Pillauski ports to the Königsberg merchant estate. In 1818, 320 merchant ships visited the Koenigsberg port, and in 1828 the first Copernicus steamer built in Elbing came to the port  .
Since 1855, regular transport between Königsberg and Tilsit began to be carried out on the first Shnel iron steam vessel  .
A significant role was played by trade relations between Germany and Russia . A large flow of Russian agricultural products went through Königsberg: grain , legumes , flax , hemp , etc. The existing port facilities in Königsberg held back the ever-growing growth in cargo turnover with Russia. So, in 1897, a granary and a roller mill were built on the embankment of the Pregel River (until 1930 this granary was considered the largest warehouse in Europe). In addition, the Koenigsberg Magistrate decided to expand port facilities and allocated 220 hectares to create five artificial harbors  . However, construction work that began in 1904 to expand the old port was discontinued in 1915 due to the First World War and was continued only in 1921  .
On June 13, 1924, the new Königsberg port was inaugurated. Of the five harbors planned, only three were built in the new port on the south bank of the Pregel River: Svobodnaya, Industrialnaya and Lesnaya. In 1930, it had 100 thousand m² of overhead and storage space, was equipped with 30 electric gantry cranes and was considered the most advanced in the Baltic Sea  .
During the Second World War, the port was severely destroyed, but became one of the first civilian enterprises to start operating in the post-war Königsberg . June 20, 1945 is considered the founding date of the Kaliningrad port on the Baltic Sea.
On September 15, 1992, during privatization, the port was transformed from a state-owned enterprise into a limited liability partnership, and subsequently into the joint stock company Sea Trade Port of Kaliningrad. Currently, the company is called OJSC Kaliningrad Commercial Sea Port.
In May 1991, the port was opened for the entry of foreign ships.
Commercial Port Features
The Kaliningrad Commercial Sea Port, being a universal port, transloads all types of cargo (except for crude oil).
The port includes 20 berths with a total length of more than 3 km, 18 of which are cargo. For transshipment of grain cargo and fertilizers, specialized terminals are used - a grain terminal, a terminal for transshipment of bulk fertilizers, a terminal for transshipment of liquid fertilizers.
The port has 13 covered cargo warehouses (including 3 refrigerated warehouses) and open warehouses with a total area of 211.6 thousand m².
Sea Fishing Port
Kaliningrad Sea Fishing Port was founded on July 21, 1947 .
There was no ocean fishing in East Prussia. Kaliningrad fishermen went on their first long-distance expedition to the shores of Iceland in June 1948 .
The port handles frozen fish and meat, food cargo, bulk and packaged fertilizers, containers, construction cargo, oil products, bulk chemical cargo and other cargo categories.
The port includes 21 berths for export-import cargo operations and 5 berths for a coastal fleet with a total length of 3.1 km and an area of 28.7 hectares.
The fishing port has its own towing facilities, shunting diesel locomotives, railway access and exhibition tracks. The total length of its own railway track is about 17 kilometers.
FSUE Kaliningrad Sea Fishing Port is one of the strategic enterprises of Russia.
Kaliningrad River Port was founded in 1946 . The port is located in the city of Kaliningrad on the right bank of the Pregol River, 6 km from the mouth.
The port consists of three cargo areas: Pregolsky (includes two berths for transshipment of bulk cargo), Svetlovsky (located on the right bank of the Kaliningrad Sea Canal in the city of Svetly, includes one cargo and one passenger berth) and a gravel-sorting plant (includes one berth which is transshipment of sand and gravel).
Control over ensuring order and compliance with national and international legal acts is carried out by the Administration of the Kaliningrad Seaport. The main functions of the port administration are: ensuring the safety of navigation and order in the port, overseeing the technical operation of port facilities and facilities, administrative and power powers (including state registration of sea vessels and rights to them), coordinating the activities of executive authorities and economic entities .
The port administration is managed by the captain of the seaport. Shevtsov A. Ya. Currently holds this position.
Kaliningrad Sea Canal
The Kaliningrad Sea Canal belongs to the port of Kaliningrad. The length of the Kaliningrad Sea Canal is 43 kilometers, a width of 50 - 80 meters and a depth of 9 to 10.5 meters. Vessels up to 200 meters long, draft up to eight meters can pass through the canal, and 22.6 km long with a draft of up to 9.4 meters and a carrying capacity of up to 30,000 tons on a section of the canal. The average channel travel time is 3 hours.