Malev Hungarian Airlines , ( Hungarian. Ma gyar Lé giközlekedési V állalat , abbreviated name - Malév , English Malév Hungarian Airlines ) is Hungary's flagship airline from 1956 to 2012, was based at the Budapest Ferihegy International Airport . Malev was a member of the Oneworld alliance in 2007-2012. [one]
|Malév Hungarian Airlines|
Magyar Légiközlekedési Vállalat
|Founding date||1946 (as a Hungarian-Soviet joint venture)|
|Termination of activity||February 3, 2012|
|Base airports||Budapest - Liszt Ferenc International Airport|
|Tagline||Még egy ok az utazásra (Another reason to travel)|
|Headquarters||Budapest , Hungary|
|Guide||Lóránt Limburger ( CEO )|
On February 3, 2012, the airline stopped flying due to liquidity problems. 
The first airlines in Hungary are Aero Rt. (established in 1910), Magyar Æeroforgalmi Rt. (MAEFORT) and Magyar Légiforgalmi Rt. ( Malert ), however, the onset of World War II suspended the development of Hungarian civil aviation. The official date of creation of the company is March 29, 1946 , when the Hungarian-Soviet joint venture of civil aviation ( Magyar-Szovjet Légiforgalmi Rt. , Also known as Maszovlet ) was created. The first aircraft were 21-seater passenger Li-2 and 3-seater Po-2 taxis, used to deliver airmail: mail bags were dropped from the plane when it flew over its destination. In 1950 Malev replaced Budaörs Airport with the new Ferihegy Airport.
On November 25, 1956, Hungary acquired a USSR stake in Maszovlet, which is considered Malev’s birthday. The airline gradually expanded its activities, opened flights to neighboring countries, and after receiving Tu-134 jets in 1968 - across Europe and the Middle East . Even before the political changes of 1989, Malev began to decommission Soviet equipment and acquire Western aircraft, the first Boeing 737-200 went into operation on November 18, 1988 .
The last Tu-154 was decommissioned in 2001 . In 2003, Malev began replacing the Boeing 737 Classic with the 737 Next-Generation. Before shutting down in 2012, the airline used 18 Boeing 737 and one Boeing 767-300ER for long-haul flights, as well as several Fokker 70 and Canadair CRJ-200 on short routes.
From 1999 to 2007, a 99.5% stake in Malev belonged to the Hungarian state agency VPV Rt. (Állami Privatizációs és Vagyonkezelő Rt.), The remaining 0.5% was in the hands of small shareholders. VPV Rt was privatized by Malev , the state-owned stake was acquired by AirBridge Zrt , one of the shareholders of which is Boris Abramovich .
As of February 2007 , AirBridge owned a 99.9% stake in the airline. [one]
At the end of January 2009, it came under the control of Vnesheconombank and Aeroflot . Aeroflot was hired as a management company by VEB. 
In February 2012, the airline announced a complete cessation of flights.
Malev fleet as of the time of the termination of flights (February 3, 2012):
|Boeing 737-600||6||102 (19/83)|
|Boeing 737-700||7||119 (24/95)|
|Boeing 737-800||five||164 (19/145)|
|Boeing 767-200ER||one||-||In storage at Budapest Ferihegy|
Previously used aircraft:
- Bombardier CRJ200
- Boeing 737-200
- Boeing 737-300 replaced by Boeing 737-700
- Boeing 737-400 replaced by Boeing 737-800
- Boeing 737-500 replaced by Boeing 737-600
- Boeing 767-200ER
- Boeing 767-300ER
- Fokker 70
- Lee 2
Incidents and Air Crashes
- September 21, 1977 - Tu-134 disaster near Bucharest
- September 30, 1975 - Tu-154 crash near Beirut
- October 21, 1981 - Tu-154 accident in Prague
- July 4, 2000 - Tu-154 accident in Thessaloniki
- Directory: World Airlines, Flight International (April 10, 2007), pp. 46-47.
- Hungary airline Malev stops operating, flights grounded
- Kommersant newspaper - Malev found an effective state owner