George Richard Chamberlain ( born George March Chamberlain ; born March 31, 1934 , Los Angeles , USA ) is an American film and television actor, singer. From 1961 to 1966, he starred in the television series Doctor Kildare, for which he received the Golden Globe Award in 1963. He also starred in such famous television films as The Shogun , Singing in Blackthorn , Casanova , The Secret of Bourne's Personality , as well as in several feature films.
Richard Chamberlain in 1982.
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth|
actor , singer
|Career||1959 - present time|
|Awards||The Golden Globe (1963, 1981, 1984)|
George Richard Chamberlain was born March 31, 1934 in the family of Charles and Elsa Chamberlain in Los Angeles . He is 6 years younger than his older brother Bill. Their father worked in a trading company supplying goods to a chain of company stores, so the family, not being rich, did not feel the need. Two years after Richard was born, the family bought a seven-room house in Beverly Hills ( Hollywood ). Chamberlain's father was known as a talented orator of the Society of Alcoholics Anonymous, whose speeches, according to many people, saved their lives. From the age of 6, Richard attended Beverly Vista Grammer School, then Beverly Hills High School, which he graduated in 1952. In graduation classes, he was considered a young man with the best manners. The future actor wanted to become an artist and after graduation he studied painting at the famous Pomona College in Clermont , 40 km from Hollywood. He specialized in applied painting and gradually became more interested in playing in the student theater. After graduating from college in 1956, he had to postpone dreams of an acting career for a short while - he was called up for military service in Korea , where he rose to the rank of sergeant for two years.
Returning to Los Angeles , Richard Chamberlain visited the studios in search of acting, met with agents. Then he starred in episodic roles: played the role of Pete in “ Smoke from the Barrel ” ( Eng. “Gunsmoke”), Clay Payne in “ Alfred Hitchcock Presents” ( Eng. “Alfred Hitchcock Presents”). Having no special education, in his free time he took acting lessons.
At this time, MGM Studios was preparing a multi-part television version of “Doctor Kilder” ( Eng. “Dr. Kildare”, 1961-1966)  - one of the studio’s most successful works - and was looking for a young promising artist for the lead role. Richard Chamberlain was listed 36 by the casting actor. In just one evening, the role in Doctor Kilder brought Chamberlain worldwide popularity. He was sent 12 thousand letters a week - more than Clark Gable at the peak of fame. The series brought Chamberlain the first Golden Globe and several other awards.
During these years, Richard also worked seriously on diction and took singing lessons. Released in the early 60s, his albums became hits  . One of them, “Three Stars Will Shine Tonight” (“Three Stars Will Shine Tonight”) on the topic from “Doctor Kilder” took 10th place on the Billboard Hot 100 chart .
In 1968, Chamberlain on the British theater stage for the first time in 40 years since John Barrymore played the role of Hamlet , which earned him enthusiastic assessments of viewers and critics. At the age of 45, Richard Chamberlain played skipper John Blackton in the Shogun miniseries and repeated his success. He was considered the third most important actor after Sean Connery and Albert Finney .
A few years later in 1982, in the role of a priest, Chamberlain, together with Rachel Ward, played in the mini-series Singing in Blackthorn . After subsequent work in the mini-series Wallenberg - The Hero's Story , The Secret of Bourne's Personality , Centennial , Road to the West ( English “Dream West”), Chamberlain received the unofficial title “ the king of mini-series. "
After the 1990s
In the 90s he was the star of very successful theatrical productions of “ My Fair Lady ”  and “ Sounds of Music ”. In the fall of 2005, Chamberlain returned to the Broadway stage in the musical Scrooge: The Musical .
In 2006, Chamberlain appeared in the episode of the television series Virtuosos and in the fourth season of Parts of the Body , and a year later in the episode of the series Desperate Housewives . In 2008 and 2009, he performed in the regional tour of the musical " Spamalot ", and in 2010 appeared in episodes of the series " Impact " and " Chuck ". In 2010-2011, Chamberlain played a supporting role in the series " Brothers and Sisters ." He also starred in the low-budget film " We are the Hartmans "  .
In the early 1970s, Chamberlain was in a love relationship with actor Wesley Air . After meeting with actor, producer and writer Martin Rabbett in 1977, they began to live in an actual marriage in Hawaii, where, after some time, Chamberlain managed to get Rabbett to be his partner so that in the future he had the right to their property. In 1985, they played the brothers in the movie Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold . In the spring of 2010, the actor temporarily left Hawaii and Rabbett to focus on a career in Los Angeles  .
In 2003, Chamberlain wrote a biographical book, Shattered Love, in which he spoke about his many years of experience with homosexual orientation. The book describes the stages of his spiritual formation. The main idea of the book is the love and happiness that exist inside a person living with an open heart.
Richard Chamberlain resumed his studies in painting. In his paintings “Age and Wisdom”  (“Age and Wisdom”), “Somewhere Within” (“Somewhere Inside Us”) and others, he reflected his philosophical views.
- 2017 - Twin Peaks
- 2011 - The Perfect Family
- 2011 - We are the Hartmans - Mr. Hartman
- 2010 - 2011 - Siblings
- 2007 - Chuck and Larry: Firefighting Wedding
- 2006 - Strength and Honor / Denis O'Leary
- 2006 - Blackbeard / Governor of Charlie Eden Hustle
- 2006 - Will and Grace - James Wittaker
- 2005 - Steams Like Old Times / TV Episode, Clyde
- 2004 - Japan: Memoirs of a Secret Empire / Narrator The Drew Carey Show
- 2002 - Look Mom, One Hand! / TV Episode, Maggie Wick
- 2002 - The Curse of the Mummy / TV Episode, Maggie Wick Touched by an Angel
- 2000 - The Face on the Bar Room Floor / TV Episode, Everett / Jack Clay
- 1999 - Too Rich: The Secret Life of Doris Duke / (TV), Bernard Lafferty
- 1999 - The Pavilion / Huddlestone
- 1997 - All the Winters That Have Been / (TV), Dane Corvin
- 1997 - The Lost Daughter / (TV), Andrew McCracken
- 1997 - A River Made to Drown In / Thaddeus MacKenzie
- 1996 - Singing in the blackthorn. Missed Years / The Thorn Birds: The Missing Years / (TV), Ralph de Bricassar
- 1995 - Bird of Prey / Jonathan Griffith
- 1993 - Ordeal in the Arctic / (TV), Captain John Couch
- 1991 - Night of the Hunter / (TV), Harry Powell
- 1991 - The Astronomers / TV series, Narrator
- 1991 - Aftermath: A Test of Love / (TV), Ross Colburn
- 1989 - Island Son / TV series, Dr. Daniel Kulani
- 1989 - The Return of the Musketeers - Aramis
- 1988 - The Bourne Identity - Jason Bourne
- 1987 - Allan Quatermain: In Search of the Lost Mysterious City . Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold - Allan Quatermain
- 1987 - Casanova / Casanova (TV) - Giacomo Casanova
- 1987 - River Song: A Natural History of the Colorado River in Grand Canyon Narrator
- 1986 - Dream West / (mini) television series, John Charles Fremont
- 1985 - The Mines of King Solomon King Solomon's Mines - Allan Quatermain
- 1985 - Wallenberg: The Story of a Hero / eng. Wallenberg: A Hero's Story (TV) - Raoul Wallenberg
- 1985 - The Miracle / (TV)
- 1983 - Cook & Peary: The Race to the Pole (1983) (TV), Frederick Cook
- 1983 - The Thorn Birds - Ralph de Brikassar
- 1982 - Calls / Murder by Phone / Nat Bridger
- 1980 - Shogun / Shogun / (TV), John Blackthorn
- 1978 - The Good Doctor / (TV), Anton Chekhov
- 1978 - Centennial / (mini-series, Alexander McKeag
- 1978 - Roy / Dr. Hubbard
- 1977 - The Last Wave - David Burton
- 1977 - The Man in the Iron Mask - Louis XIV , Philip
- 1976 - The Slipper and the Rose / Prince Edward
- 1975 - The Little Mermaid / Narrator
- 1975 - Count of Monte Cristo / The Count of Monte-Cristo - Edmond Dantes
- 1975 - The Christmas Messenger / (TV), Christmas Messenger
- 1974 - The Four Musketeers: Revenge of the Milady / The Four Musketeers - Aramis
- 1974 - The Towering Inferno / Roger Simmons
- 1974 - The Lady's Not for Burning / (TV), Thomas Mendip
- 1974 - F. Scott Fitzgerald and 'The Last of the Belles' / (TV), F. Scott Fitzgerald
- 1973 - The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Pendants / The Three Musketeers - Aramis
- 1972 - The Woman I Love / (TV), King Edward VIII
- 1972 - Lady Caroline Lamb / Lady Caroline Lamb - Byron
- 1970 - Music Lovers / The Music Lovers - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- 1970 - Hamlet - Hamlet
- 1970 - Julius Caesar / Octavian Augustus
- 1969 - The Madwoman of Chaillot / Roderick
- 1968 - Petulia / David Danner
- 1968 - The Portrait of a Lady / (TV), Ralph Touchett
- 1965 - Joy in the Morning / Carl Brown The Eleventh Hour
- 1963 - Four Feet in the Morning / TV Episode, Dr. James kildare
- 1963 - Twilight of Honor / David Mitchell
- 1961 - Dr. Kildare / television series, Dr. James kildare
- 1961 - A Thunder of Drums / Lt. Porter whispering smith
- 1961 - Stain of Justice / TV Episode, Chris Harrington The Deputy
- 1961 - The Edge of Doubt / TV Episode, Jerry Kirk
- 1960 - The Secret of the Purple Reef / Dean Christopher Thriller
- 1960 - The Watcher / TV Episode, Larry Carter Gunsmoke
- 1960 - The Bobsy Twins / TV Episode, Pete Mr. Lucky
- 1960 - Operation Fortuna / TV Episode, Alec Bourbon Street Beat
- 1960 - Target of Hate / TV Episode, Dale Wellington Alfred Hitchcock Presents
- 1959 - Road Hog / TV Episode, Clay Pine
Singles from the album Richard Chamberlain Sings : - UK # 8 
- " Theme from Dr. Kildare (Three Stars Will Shine Tonight) »(1962) - UK # 12 
- " Love Me Tender " (1962) - US # 21; UK # 15 
- " All I Have to Do Is Dream " (1963)
- Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo (1963) - UK # 20 
- “ I Will Love You ” (1963)
- True Love (1963) - UK # 30 
Singles from Twilight of Honor album:
- Blue Guitar (1963)
Singles from the album Richard Chamberlain (aka Joy in the Morning ):
- “Rome Will Never Leave You” (1964)
From The Slipper and the Rose :
- Secret Kingdom (1976)
- "He Danced With Me / She Danced With Me" (1976)
- “What a Comforting Thing to Know” (1976)
- “Why Can't I Be Two People?” (1976)
- Bride-Finding Ball (1976)
Awards and nominations
- Golden Globe Best Actor TV Drama 1969-1989, 1981 (Shogun)
- Golden Globe Best Actor TV Miniseries Film 1981-1999, 1984 ("The Thorn Birds")
- 1980 Golden Globe Award Best TV Actor - Drama ("Centennial")
- 1986 Golden Globe Award Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV (Wallenberg: A Hero's Story)
- 1989 Golden Globe Award Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV (“The Bourne Identity”)
- 2000 Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame
- 1964 Photoplay Awards Most Popular Male Star
- 1963 Photoplay Awards Most Popular Male Star
- 1963 Golden Globe Award Best Male TV Star
- 1962 Photoplay Awards Most Popular Male Star
- Australian Film Institute Best Actor in a Lead Role ("The Last Wave")
- Internet Broadway Database
- jettie66. Richard Chamberlain - When the doctor smile . YouTube (June 30, 2008). Date of appeal September 29, 2017.
- Richard Chamberlain. I will love you . YouTube (January 15, 2008). Date of appeal September 29, 2017.
- aBroadwayBoy. My Fair Lady commercial . YouTube (December 26, 2007). Date of appeal September 29, 2017.
- We Are the Hartmans Neopr . IMBD Date of appeal September 29, 2017.
- Richard Chamberlain returns to LA , BelfastTelegraph.co.uk ( 04/12/2010 ). Date of appeal September 29, 2017.
- Richard Chamberlain Art Works. Richard Chamberlain Art Works . www.richard-chamberlain.com. Date of appeal September 29, 2017.
- Roberts, David. British Hit Singles & Albums. - 19th. - London: Guinness World Records Limited, 2006 .-- P. 99. - ISBN 1-904994-10-5 .