Machuli is a village in the Smolensk region of Russia , in the Pochinkovsky district . It is located in the central part of the region 11 km south-east of Pochinka , on the left bank of the Khmara River. 3 km west of the village is the Engelhardt station on the Smolensk - Roslavl railway line. The population is 613 inhabitants ( 2007 ). It is part of the Shatalovsky rural settlement .
|Subject of the federation||Smolensk region|
|History and Geography|
|Center height||200 m|
|Climate type||temperate continental|
|Timezone||UTC + 3|
|Population||613 people ( 2007 )|
|Density||86,, 38 people / km²|
|Telephone code||+7 48149|
In the past, the owner's village of Yelninsky district. The estate was founded by the Smolensk nobles Read (in 1716 the Scottish nobleman Jacob Read entered the service of the Russian Tsar and was endowed with land in the Smolensk province). The development of the estate began in the 1780s under the leadership of Lieutenant Colonel Read A.I., father of the Russian general Read N.A. In 1796 a church was built in the village and Machuly became a village. After the death of Andrei Ivanovich Machula pass into the possession of his son Yakov. After the death of his sons Sergey and Ivan, the estate as a dowry passed into the possession of the daughter Sofya Yakovlevna, who was married to the head of Smolensk, Alexander Platonovich Engelhardt . He completes the arrangement of the estate and sets up greenhouses, a park with ponds, and builds farm buildings. A stud farm and a pedigree cattle farm were set up in the village. During the construction of the Smolensk-Orel railway, they were given part of their land holdings and assisted in arranging the station, which is still called Engelhardt. The last owner of the estate was his son Alexander Alexandrovich Engelhardt. In 1918, the estate was nationalized, the fate of the values is unknown. The former owner was arrested in 1921 . In Soviet times, on the territory of the village of Machuly, a pedigree of them was organized. The Comintern, known in the Soviet Union for its pedigree cattle. Currently, the manor house has been preserved, which is in very poor condition and needs restoration, and the remains of the park  . The house previously housed the local House of Culture and Leisure (and even a movie theater).
- Monuments of archeology: an ancient settlement 500 m north-east of the village, a barrow group 1.5 km north-east of the village, a monument to soldiers who died in World War II.
- There is a legend that in this park, under one of the old oaks, there is some kind of hiding place. But where exactly is this oak - no one really knows. Local residents have repeatedly made attempts to find a "treasure", but nothing was found.