“Overprotected” is the second single by American singer Britney Spears from her third studio album Britney (2001), released on December 12, 2001 via Jive Records .
|Single Britney Spears|
from Britney album
|Side B||" I'm a Slave 4 U "|
|Released||December 12, 2001|
|Format||Cassette single, CD single , 12 "|
|Recorded by||2001; Maratone Studios ( Stockholm )|
|Genre||Dance pop , tin pop|
|Duration||3:18 (album version) |
3:06 (The Darkchild Remix)
|Producer||Max Martin, Rami|
|Songwriter||Max Martin , Rami|
|Britney Spears Singles Timeline|
This is a song in the style of dance pop and tin-pop about a girl who is tired of being protected and just wants to be herself. The composition received mixed reviews from contemporary critics; as some reviewers have noted, Overprotected is Spears' way of breaking free. A remix of the song made by Rodney Jerkins was released in the USA and Canada in April 2002.
In 2003, Spears was nominated for a Grammy in the category of Best Female Pop Vocal , but lost to Norah Jones .
To release the original international version of the song, Spears reunited with director Billy Woodruff (" Born to Make You Happy "). The video was shot in the second half of November 2001 in Los Angeles, and released on December 6, 2001, coinciding with the international release of the single.
The “Overprotected” clip begins with Britney driving away from annoying reporters with an excerpt from the instrumental version of the song “Bombastic Love”, which is presented on the Britney album, playing. She goes to an alley and decides to enter an abandoned factory, hoping that her pursuers will go astray. When she enters the building, she begins to dance in the warehouse. Britney's dancers see her walking around the factory, follow her inside. They find Spears dancing and laugh at it before they begin to dance intensely. Towards the end of the video, we see fragments where Spears is in a room with walls covered with photographs and articles about her. These walls move and move apart until the video ends, indicating that it is "super-safe."
In the video, Spears wears clothes from the Argentinean Kosiuko campaign. She decided to use these very clothes in the video, because she thought it was stylish. The creators gave clothes to the singer to advertise their product in the US market since they recently opened fashion houses in Miami and other cities in America.
Darkchild Remix Clip
For the release of the song Darkchild Remix in the United States, the video was shot by director Chris Applebaum. The filming process took place in Los Angeles from March 2 to 4, 2002. The clip was released on March 26 of the same year. The video begins during the day that Spears and her friends hang out in the hotel room. Negative reporting on Britney appears on television news, and her and her friends express their disagreement with the report. Then Britney calls her bodyguard, and uses a rag to disguise her voice, begs him to leave the post so that her group can slip out of the hotel and enjoy the day. They ran to the elevator and, in short, trick the security camera before they went to the main lobby. Subsequently, a walk through the lobby and a short episode with dancing. After that, a group of Britney runs out of the hotel and get on the SUV, and continue driving along the street. The interior of the SUV turns into a limousine dance hall, and Spears and her friends dance inside. Next, an episode of the choreographic dance from the lobby with fading strobes is shown. After the SUV, the group leaves the van and runs into the alley. Late night, and heavy rain begins, Spears dances under it. At the end of the video, we find that about Spears and her friends dancing in the rain there was a negative report at the beginning of the video. The atmosphere in the lobby is the same as in the clip of Janet Jackson's “ Son of a Gun (I Betcha Think This Song Is About You) ”. Both clips were shot at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles .
List of Songs
AUS / NZ CD single
Japanese CD single
UK CD single
The Singles Collection Boxset Single
Charts and Certifications
|Japan ||December 12, 2001||Maxi single||Sony|
|USA ||December 18, 2001||Jive|
|France ||January 7, 2002||Sony|
|Germany ||January 21, 2002|
|Great Britain ||RCA|
|USA||April 1, 2002||Contemporary hit radio (Darkchild Remix) ||Jive|
|April 2, 2002||12 " |
- " Australian-charts.com - Britney Spears - Overprotected . " ARIA Top 50 Singles . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- [ Overprotected on the AllMusic Britney Spears - Billboard Chart History] . Allmusic . Rovi Corporation (2002). Date of treatment August 8, 2010.
- " Ultratop.be - Britney Spears - Overprotected" (nid.) . Ultratop 50 . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- " Ultratop.be - Britney Spears - Overprotected" (Fr.) . Ultratop 50 . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- European Top 20 Chart . Music & Media Australian Recording Industry Association (February 11, 2002). Date of treatment August 8, 2010. Archived February 21, 2002.
- " Britney Spears: Overprotected" (Fin.) . Musiikkituottajat - IFPI Finland . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- " Lescharts.com - Britney Spears - Overprotected" (Fr.) . Les classement single . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- " Chart Track: Week 4, 2002" . Irish Singles Chart . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Italian Singles Chart . Hit Parade Italia (January 19, 2002). Date of treatment August 8, 2010.
- " Nederlandse Top 40 - week 5, 2002 " (nid.) . Dutch Top 40 Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- " Dutchcharts.nl - Britney Spears - Overprotected" (nid.) . Single Top 100 . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- " Norwegiancharts.com - Britney Spears - Overprotected . " VG-lista . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- Romanian Top 100 . Romanian Top 100 . All Music (2002). Date of treatment August 8, 2010. Archived May 15, 2003.
- " Spanishcharts.com - Britney Spears - Overprotected" Canciones Top 50 . Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- " Swedishcharts.com - Britney Spears - Overprotected . " Singles Top 100 . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- "Britney Spears: Artist Chart History" . Official Charts Company . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- "Britney Spears Chart History (Hot 100)" . Billboard . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- "Britney Spears Chart History (Pop Songs)" . Billboard . Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- Australia Certification
- France Certification
- Amazon.co.jp ： Overprotected: 音 楽
- Amazon.com: Overprotected: Music
- Overprotected - Maxi CD: Britney Spears: Amazon.fr: Musique
- Overprotected: Amazon.de: Musik
- Overprotected: Amazon.co.uk: Music
- Britney Addresses Her Critics In 'Overprotected' Video - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV.com
- Amazon.com: Overprotected [Vinyl]: Music