Church of Saints John and Paul ( Czech Kostel sv. Jana a Pavla ) is a Romanesque church located in the former village of Krten, Třeboицеice district, Prague , Czech Republic .
|Church of St. John and Paul|
The Late Roman temple of St. John and Paul was built in the second quarter of the 13th century, with a rectangular altar and a bell tower above the entrance. In 1352, the temple became a parish . In 1575 a side chapel was added, in 1667 the sacristy , in 1732-1734 a tower was built on. In 1890, the church was rebuilt in the New Romanesque style, the vault was replaced by a cassette ceiling, the northern aisle was added, and the tower was rebuilt. In the altar part, a Romanesque window has been preserved; on the eastern wall, Romanesque frescoes from the late 13th century: the Baptism of the Lord , the Meeting , Joseph’s dream and the symbols of the evangelists. In 1952, the frescoes were restored.
The temple stands on a high spur above the Daleysky stream in place of the now defunct village Krten ( Czech Krte Kr ), which was owned by Czech kings. During the Hussite Wars, the village passed into the possession of the Prague chapter . Now there is a cemetery around the church.
1.8 km south-east in the Rzhepory district is the Church of Saints Peter and Paul , rebuilt from the Romanesque rotunda of the XII century.
view from the southwest
sacristy, side chapel and altar
side bell tower