The castle Lange [lange] ( French château de Langeais ) in the French department of Indre and Loire was laid at the end of the 10th century by the Angevin Count Fulc Nerra (the ancestor of the Plantagenet dynasty) on a cliff hanging over the Loire Valley . In the XII century, the castle was expanded by his descendant Richard the Lionheart .
Entrance to the castle ( XV century )
|The Department||Indre and Loire|
|Founder||Fulk III Nerra|
|Building||X century - XV century|
|condition||museum, historical monument|
Philip II Augustus conquered Lange from the Angevin counts in 1206 , then it was partially destroyed by the British during the Hundred Years War . From the building of that era, the facade of the main tower, nicknamed “Donjon Fulka Black”, has been preserved - it is considered the oldest surviving stone fortress in France . The rest of the castle was built in the second half of the 15th century, under Louis XI .
- Laura's castle
- Castles of France