Victory Square (formerly - Hansa- Platz, that is, Hanseatic Square, after the Nazis came to power - Adolf-Hitler-Platz) - the square in Kaliningrad , a place of concentration of many organizations and institutions, a transport hub.
|Former names||Hansa-Platz (until 1934), Adolf-Hitler-Platz (until 1945)|
Until the beginning of the 20th century, the Steindamm and Tragheim gates of city fortifications were located on the site of the current Victory Square. At the beginning of the 20th century, the constructions of the inner ring of city fortifications lost military significance, were purchased by the city and demolished. Tragheimim Gate was demolished in 1910, the Steindamm Gate in 1912.
Approximately in their place was built Hansaplatz Square, that is, the current Victory Square  . The medieval Koenigsberg was part of the Hanseatic League .
In 1920-1923, a complex of pavilions of the Eastern Fair was built, the main gate was located at the northern end of the square  . The building of trade missions was built on the opposite side of the square, later it was used by the Königsberg city government  .
After the Nazis came to power, the square was renamed Adolf-Hitler-Platz ( Adolf Hitler Square).
After the war, the square became known as Victory Square. In 1953, a monument to Stalin was erected on it. In November 1958, it was replaced by a monument to Lenin by the sculptor Topuridze , and the monument to Stalin was transferred to the square on Theater Street.
In 1996, construction of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior began near the square. On the eve of the 750th anniversary of Kaliningrad, the square was completely reconstructed. A monument to Lenin was removed from the square  (after restoration it was transferred to the square in front of the House of Arts, the former “October” cinema), the stands were also demolished. During the reconstruction, fountains were set up on the square and the Triumphal Column was installed, resembling the Alexander Column in St. Petersburg .
Located on Square
The following organizations and institutions are located on the square or in the immediate vicinity of it:
- Shopping Center "Kaliningrad Passage"
- The main building of the Kaliningrad State Technical University
- The building of the city hall of Kaliningrad. It was built as a building for representative offices of companies participating in the Eastern Fair, but was later used by the Konigsberg municipality. After the war it was heavily rebuilt
- Shopping center "Europe Center"
- Shopping and business center "Clover Citycenter"
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior
- The Kaliningrad Business Center, formerly the home of inter-cruise recreation for sailors, before the war, the North Station, was built in 1930  .
Victory Square is a major transportation hub. The most important arteries of the city meet here - Leninsky Prospekt, ul. Chernyakhovsky, Soviet Avenue, Prospect Mira, Guards Avenue.
In the immediate vicinity of the square is the Kaliningrad-Severny railway station (North Station), the second most important Kaliningrad station (after the South Station ). But after the construction of the shopping center "Kaliningrad Passage", the North Station is not visible from the square.
A large number of public transport routes pass along Victory Square - a bus, a tram (routes 3, 5), a trolley bus (routes 1, 2, 7), and fixed-route taxis.
View of the square
City Hall of Kaliningrad
Cathedral of Christ the Savior
- Avenir Ovsyanov. In the casemates of the royal fort. Kaliningrad, Amber Tale, 1999. Page 95
- Multimedia reference book “Königsberg 1255-1945”. (c) I. Zabolotov, 2004
- Essays on the history of East Prussia. A team of authors led by Dr. G.V. Kretinin, Doctor of Historical Sciences. Publishing House "Amber Skaz", Kaliningrad, 2002 ISBN 5-7406-0502-4 . Page 386.
- The Mayor of Kaliningrad considers the Lenin monument in the main square inappropriate // REGNUM, 07/04/2005
- Baldur Köster “Königsberg. Today's Kaliningrad. The architecture of German time. " Translation from German ( text Archived September 11, 2007 on the Wayback Machine ). Data from the original German publication: Baldur Köster, Husum Druck; 2000, ISBN 3-88042-923-5