Atom Heart Mother ("Mother with an Atomic Heart") is the fifth studio album of the British rock band Pink Floyd , released on October 10, 1970 . Atom Heart Mother reached number one in the UK charts and number 55 in the US .
|Atom heart mother|
|Studio album Pink Floyd|
|Date of issue||October 10, 1970|
|Recorded by||Abbey road studios|
February - August 1970
|Timeline Pink Floyd|
The name of the album appeared after it was necessary to name the first song during the premiere recording at the BBC Theater in Paris.
The first side of the album was occupied by a joint composition of all four members of the group, setting the theme of the album, which is based on the idea of David Gilmore . The co-author of the suite was Ron Gisin .
The second side of the album was occupied by compositions: “If”, written and performed by Roger Waters ; "Summer '68" written and performed by Richard Wright ; "Fat Old Sun" written and performed by David Gilmore . The second side was concluded by the joint composition of Mason, Gilmore, Waters and Wright - “Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast”.
The album was recorded at Abbey Road Studios. Sound engineers were Alan Parsons and Peter Bown, and Norman Smith was the producer of the album. Ron Geesin did the orchestral arrangement for the title track “Atom Heart Mother,” and it was thanks to him that the group managed to put together the disparate parts of this song. The album was the group’s first experiment in quadraphonic recording.
The album’s preliminary titles, Untitled Epic and The Amazing Pudding, seemed too frivolous for the musicians. Ron Gisin suggested looking for a suitable title among the headlines in the Evening Standard. As a result, Nick Mason suggested using the title of the article “Nuclear Drive for Woman's Heart”, which talked about a 56-year-old woman who had an “atomic pacemaker ” installed.
The album was designed by Hipgnosis Studio Storm Torgeson . For the cover, a cow named Lalabel III was chosen. The cow was chosen because Pink Floyd musicians wanted to get rid of the reputation of the band performing “space” rock , and tried to make the album so that it had nothing to do with music, after a long search for images one of Torgerson’s friends remembered the famous wallpaper with cows Andy Warhol , Storm went to Essex and took a picture of the first cow he came across. As a result, he said, “... the most general image of a cow. it is the Cow as such ”  .
On the original edition of the album there were no inscriptions about authorship and compositions. In later editions of the album on the front side were the names of the album and group. In the 1994 reissue, a few more snapshots of the cow were added to the album booklet .
The album cover appears in Stanley Kubrick’s film A Clockwork Orange , in a music store. The appearance of the album in the film is connected with the director’s attempt to buy the rights to the album, which the band members refused.
In 1994, the album was re-released in digital mastering in the UK, and in 1995 in the USA . The updated version did not contain any innovations, but had an expanded booklet containing photographs of a cow nicknamed Lalabel III, and a modified cover on which inscriptions appeared. The reissue of the album was done by James Gizry.
List of Songs
- Atom Heart Mother - 23:45 (Gilmore / Waters / Wright / Mason / Gisin)
- Father's Shout
- Breast Milky ( Breast and Milk )
- Mother Fore
- Funky Dung ( Musical Dung / Stinky Dung )
- Mind Your Throats Please
- If ( If ) - 4:31 (Waters)
- Summer '68 ( Summer 68th ) - 5:29 (Wright)
- Fat Old Sun - 5:24 (Gilmore)
- Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast ( Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast ) - 13:01 (Gilmore / Waters / Wright / Mason)
- Rise and Shine ( Wake up and shine )
- Sunny Side Up
- Morning Glory ( Ipomoea )
- Roger Waters - bass , vocals in the song “If”, effects,
- David Gilmore - guitar , vocals in the song "Fat Old Sun", backing vocals in the song "Summer '68",
- Richard Wright - keyboards , vocals in the song “Summer '68”
- Nick Mason - drums , extra effects at Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
The Atom Heart Mother Suite was also attended by:
- John Alldis Choir
- Abby Road Session Pop Orchestra
- Philip Jones Brass Band
- Arranger Ron Gisin
The voice in Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast belongs to the band's road manager Alan Stiles
|1983||UK albums||1 |
|1983||Hit Parade Norway||13|
- “ Something Else (by The Kinks) ” is the album of The Kinks , from which Gilmore may have borrowed the theme of the song “Lazy Old Sun” when writing the song “Fat Old Sun”  .
- A Clockwork Orange is a Stanley Kubrick film in an episode of which the cover of the Atom Heart Mother album appears.
Members of an album record
Atom Heart Mother, in my opinion, is a great example of what should be thrown into the trash and never listen to anyone again! .. She's all so pompous and no matter what.- Roger Waters - Rock Over London Radio Station - March 15, 1985, for broadcast 7 April / 14 April 1985.
What do you think of early recordings like Atom Heart Mother and Ummagumma today?
I think both are terrible. Well, Ummagumm’s live disc may not be anything, but even it is poorly recorded.- David Gilmore - Der Spiegel No. 23 - 5 June 1995
... the time spent with Roger was wonderful, for example, during the recording of The Dark Side Of The Moon . And even on Atom Heart Mother , which is, in my opinion, our weakest album ...- Richard Wright - Mojo . No. 181 - December 2008 
My summary about the track “Atom Heart Mother” will be like this: a nice idea, you should try harder.- Nick Mason. Inside Out 
- The main theme of the Atom Heart Mother suite, which occupies an entire side of the album, was written by Gilmore in November 1969  .
- Wright believed that in “Summer '68” he was able to express what he really felt  .
- Some critics have pointed out that both the lyrics and the melody of the song “Fat Old Sun” are similar to The Kinks song “Lazy Old Sun”. Gilmore admitted that he heard her and may have unknowingly experienced her influence  .
- Stanley Kubrick asked Pink Floyd to sell the rights to their song Atom Heart Mother. But since he wanted an eternal license and unlimited possibilities for distorting musical material, the group refused. In the film A Clockwork Orange , in a scene with a record store, a cover from the Atom Heart Mother album hangs above the counter.
- In 1997, the cover artwork was borrowed by Blink 182 for their Dude Ranch album with the only difference - instead of a cow, the bull was depicted in the same position.
- Pink Floyd: The Story Behind Atom Heart Mother . TeamRock (September 22, 2016). Date of treatment March 14, 2017.
- Mabbett, 1997 , p. 54.
- Atom Heart Mother - Trivia and Quotes, Pink Floyd Co. Archived on October 8, 1999.
- Atom Heart Mother UK Charts . www.chartstats.com. Date of treatment March 2, 2010. Archived on February 5, 2012.
- Atom Heart Mother //Pink-Floyd.ru
- Stuff. Press 2008. October. Richard Wright Press: Mojo (November Issue) (pdf) P. 83. David Gilmour Official Website. - Interview with Richard Wright, published in Mojo Magazine (No. 181, article The dream is over ...). (Retrieved December 7, 2013)
- Nick Mason. Along and across: A personal history of Pink Floyd = Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd. - St. Petersburg: Amphora, 2009 .-- S. 192. - 468 p. - (Discography). - 4000 copies. - ISBN 978-5-367-00721-3 .
- Povey, Glenn. Echoes: The Complete History of Pink Floyd . - Chesham: Mind Head Publishing, 2007 .-- 368 p. - ISBN 978-0-9554624-0-5 .
- Mabbett, Andy. The Complete Guide to Music Pink Floyd = The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. - M .: “Eurasian Region”, “Lokid”, 1997. - 190 p. - ISBN 5-86217-026-X .
- Mason, Nick . Along and across: A personal history of Pink Floyd = Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd. - 3rd ed., Rev. - SPb. : Amphora , 2009. - 468 p. - ISBN 978-5-367-00721-3 .
- Poluyakhtov I., Galin A. Pink Floyd. Book of Songs (1967-1994). - M. , 2003 .-- T. I. - 288 p. - ISBN 5-87109-061-3 .
- . Saucer full of miracles. Odyssey Pink Floyd = Saucerful of Secrets. The Pink Floyd Odyssey. - M .: Publishing house of Sergey Kozlov, 1998 .-- 365 p. - ISBN 5-901013-01-8 .