Aleksei Yakovlevich Chervonenkis ( September 7, 1938 - September 22, 2014  ) - Russian scientist in the field of computer science, Ph.D. in physics and mathematics, leading employee of the Institute of Management Problems named after Trapeznikov , professor at Royal Holloway College, University of London ( Eng. Royal Holloway ).
|Alexey Yakovlevich Chervonenkis|
|Date of Birth|
|Date of death|
|Place of death|
|Scientific field||math machine learning|
|Place of work|
|Awards and prizes|
Born in the family of a scientist in the field of electric power transmission and electric power supply in cities , Yakov Mikhailovich Chervonenkis (1914-1971), author of the monographs “Transmission of small and medium capacities by direct current over long distances” (1957) and “Determination of power factors for calculating the urban electric network "(1968)  . The grandson of the deputy of the 1st State Duma , Zemstvo doctor Meilakh Rakhmilevich Chervonenkis   .
Together with Vladimir Vapnik he worked in the laboratory of Alexander Lerner , under whose guidance he defended his thesis  .
He made a significant contribution to the theory of machine learning by developing, together with Vladimir Vapnik, a statistical theory of dependency recovery from empirical data ( Vapnik-Chervonenkis theory ), which includes, inter alia, concepts such as VC-dimension and VC-entropy. For participation in the development of an optimal automatic ore contouring system according to operational exploration data, he was awarded the USSR State Prize (1987)  .
In September 2014, during a walk in Losiny Ostrov, he got lost and died of hypothermia   . Journal of Machine Learning Research in September 2015 released a special issue dedicated to the memory of Chervonenkis   .
- Wife - Victoria Sharifovna Chervonenkis, nee?
- Son - Mikhail Alekseevich Chervonenkis (born 1966), specialist in the field of computer science;
- Son - Peter Alekseevich Chervonenkis (born in 1975);
- Son - Valentin Alekseevich Chervonenkis (born 1980).
- Brother - Andrei Yakovlevich Chervonenkis (born 1941), physicist.
- Nephew - Arseny Andreevich Chervonenkis (b. 1972), candidate of chemical sciences (2000).
- V.N. Vapnik, A. Ya. Chervonenkis. The theory of uniform convergence of the frequencies of occurrence of events to their probabilities and the task of finding the optimal solution from empirical data // Automation and Telemechanics . - 1971. - T. 32 , No. 2 . - S. 207-317 . - ISSN 0005-2310 .
- Vapnik V.N., Chervonenkis A. Ya. Theory of pattern recognition . M .: Nauka, 1974
- Komsomolskaya Pravda
- Freebase data upload
- Alexander Krylov. The famous scientist Alexey Chervonenkis died in Moscow . Komsomolskaya Pravda (09/23/2014).
- History of technology: bibliographic index. with. 53
- Measures of Complexity, Festschrift for Alexey Chervonenkis (Springer, 2015)
- Short Biography of Alexey Chervonenkis (In: “Measures of Complexity”, Festschrift for Alexey Chervonenkis, Springer, 2015) (link not available)
- "[I. M. Chervonenkis] was born in 1914 in the city of Berdichev in the family of a zemstvo doctor ”(Obituary // Electric Stations, 1971, No. 6, p. 94)
- Vladimir Vapnik
- 65 years of the Institute of Management Problems named after V. A. Trapeznikova RAS // Problems of management. - 2004. - Vol. 2 . - S. 72-78 . - ISSN 1819-3161 .
- Anna Penkina. Could the professors have saved? The widow provided details of her husband’s death in the marshes of Losinki . Star Boulevard (September 26, 2014). Date accessed August 24, 2016.
- Alec Luhn. University of London maths professor found dead in Moscow park . The Guardian (September 25, 2014). Date accessed August 24, 2016.
- Alex Gammerman, Vladimir Vovk. Preface to this Special Issue in Memory of Alexey Chervonenkis // Journal of Machine Learning Research. - 2015 .-- T. 16 , no. 9 . - S. 1677-1681 . - ISSN 1532-4435 .
- JMLR Special Issue in Memory of Alexey Chervonenkis