Nizhny Novgorod is a city with glorious sports history and traditions. The first sports societies were created at the beginning of the 20th century . As of 2008, 15 Nizhny Novgorod athletes were awarded gold Olympic awards.  
In pre-revolutionary years fist fights were widespread. Under the direction of Barnet, the Russian Falcon Club of Gymnastics and Athletics worked. 
The first soccer ball was brought in 1909 , soon the first soccer teams appeared. In 1911, with the permission of the governor, the Nizhny Novgorod Sports Club (NSC) appeared in the upland part, the Kanavinsky Circle of Sports Lovers (KKLS) in the district part, and the Sormovsky Sports Club (SCS) in Sormovo. 
After the Great October Socialist Revolution, according to the decree of the All-Russian Central Executive Committee of 1918 on universal military training, a broad physical training of the population was organized, and sports facilities were being actively built. 
In 1923, Alexander Lavrov wins the Russian championship in marathon. Mikhail Bundin becomes the USSR champion in the long jump with a run - 7 meters 37 centimeters, and Leonid Antipiev - the USSR champion in javelin throwing - 61 m 58 cm and grenades - 87 m 89 cm.
In the late 1960s, the Olympic Reserve Figure Skating School was created. [four]
In 2006, the Lokomotiv football club, founded in 1987 , ceased to exist. At the moment, Nizhny Novgorod football is FC Nizhny Novgorod .
The first world record in the history of Soviet sports was set by the Nizhny Novgorod athlete Mikhail Buinitsky in 1923 in Petrograd, where he served in the military. Returning to the Lower, he established 10 world achievements and 16 countries.  The first medal at the Summer Olympics was won in 1952 by the automobile factory athlete Alexander Anufriev in the 10,000 m race won the bronze, and the first Nizhny Novgorod winners in the winter games were speed skater Natalya Donchenko (silver at the distance of 500 m) and Alexey Kuznetsov is a bronze medalist in the relay race. [one]
Representatives of the “young” Avtozavodsky district made a significant contribution to the city’s sports achievements: 
- skiers: world champion 1972 and the Olympic Games in Innsbruck and Sapporo Alevtina Olyunina ; champion of the USSR and the RSFSR 1973 Anna Elesina ;
- two-time Olympic champion in 1976 and world champion in biathlon Nikolay Kruglov Sr., winner of the Olympic Games, world champion in biathlon and silver prize-winner of the 2006 Olympics Nikolay Kruglov Jr.;
- GAZ Torpedo Major League Hockey Team - silver medalist of the USSR Championship 1961;
- world hockey champions: Yu. I. Fedorov (1975, 1978), A. V. Skvortsov (1979, 1981, 1983), M. P. Varnakov (1986); Victor Konovalenko  - twice Olympic champion, eight times - world champion, seven times - European champion; Andrei Kovalenko , Kovin, Vladimir Alexandrovich , Yuri Fedorov and Alexander Skvortsov are Olympic champions.
- hockey team "Start" - silver medalist of the championship of Russia;
- P.V. Dubinin - Honored Master of Sports, international grandmaster and world champion in correspondence in the team event 1970;
- the winners of the international rally "For Peace and Friendship" 1962 V. Mosolov, G. Dobrovolsky, M. Metelev, E. Matissen, E. Vaskovich, L. Degtyarev;
The GAZ racing team repeatedly won the national championships: Nikolai Demidov became the champion of the USSR 3 times and 25 the champion of Russia, Sergei Tolstolutsky became the 3-time champion of the USSR and the 16-time champion of Russia. Subsequently, Nikolai Demidov became one of the consultants in the construction of the Nizhny Novgorod Ring highway  .
At the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Elena Posevina and Daria Shkurikhina became gold medalists. 
In June 2009, Nizhny Novgorod Lokomotiv won the Super Table Tennis for Women for the second year in a row.  By this time, the team was a three-time winner of the Cup of the country. 
In 2009, Peter Bystrov as part of FC Rubin became the champion of Russia. [eight]
In 2012, Nizhny Novgorod Denis Cheryshev became the first Russian to play for Real Madrid .
The largest sports facilities in Nizhny Novgorod  :
- sports palaces with artificial ice - 2;
- a complex of two ski jumps "Pechery"  ;
- rowing channel ;
- There are 15 swimming pools, including 1 - 50-meter, and three pools are located in shopping and entertainment complexes. According to the city administration, in March 2011 in Nizhny Novgorod "there is a particularly acute shortage of pools."  Part of the solution to this problem is planned through the construction of several fitness centers  ;
- 15 stadiums, including the Nizhny Novgorod stadium , which hosted the matches of the 2018 World Cup , and the Lokomotiv stadium , which hosted the matches of the Russian Premier League football ;
- hippodrome , founded in 1894 . Now it is in a state of neglect: for several years the tote has not been working, the necessary equipment and equipment are worn or missing, employees are forced to engage in subsistence farming. 
- sports houses - 8.
The city has a developed network of sports facilities, which includes  :
- fitness centers - 8;
- gyms - 321;
- sports grounds - 522.
There are yacht clubs "Oka", "Torpedo", "Ekont".  Equestrian sport is represented by the Children and Youth Equestrian School of the Railways (in the Sortirovochny microdistrict), the equestrian school "Allure" (Avtozavodsky District, created on the initiative of the management of GAZ OJSC), SDYUSHOR KS (Vysokovo).
The city is represented in such sports as hockey (club "Torpedo" ), football (club "Nizhny Novgorod" ), hockey with ball (club "Start" ), table tennis , etc.
Union Highland Sports Palace
The Sports Palace was built in 1965 . In accordance with the rules of the hockey competition, Super League teams, starting from the 2007–2008 season , are required to have ice arenas with a capacity of at least 5.5 thousand seats. After the Nizhny Novgorod Torpedo won the right to play in the super league of Russian hockey, the need arose for the reconstruction of the Sports Palace.
The reconstruction includes two stages. The first stage (April — September 2007): the fulfillment of all necessary requirements for holding games according to the requirements of the Super League and the installation of engineering systems for the construction of the second stage. On September 9, 2007, the sports palace was opened after the completion of stage I of the reconstruction  . At the second stage, it is planned to build a four-story part of the building from the end part, which will house auxiliary premises.
Every year in February, at the Nizhny Novgorod Hippodrome in the Volga class, winter track car races for the Russian Cup Avtozavodskoye Ring are held .   The maximum speed reaches 150 km / h.  The prize is awarded by the Gorky Automobile Plant. [sixteen]
Since 2008  , winter track car races have been held at the Birch floodplain training ground in the Zhiguli class for the Avtotrek governor's cup. 
Nizhny Novgorod was among 11 Russian cities that hosted the games of the 2018 World Cup  .
February 23, 2008 in the building of the Nizhny Novgorod Fair was the first stage of the Russian Championship in European dances among adults. 
November 7-8, 2009 at the Sports Palace. Konovalenko passed the championship of the Volga Federal District in Latin American dances. 
On June 9, 2008, the Russian Championship and the stage of the World Dressage Cup started in the Passage equestrian center.  The Governor Cup was held as part of these competitions. 
Maxim Vladimir Fedorov - athlete in absentia drafts. Grandmaster of Russia (2006), silver of the II World Cup in absentia game in Russian drafts (1999-2001), bronze of the World Cup in correspondence game in Russian drafts among men (2003-2005).
Of the unofficial championships in the city, the final of the 2009 Cup of Russia in aircraft modeling in the air combat class was held  .
- Nizhny Novgorod: 785 questions and answers. - 3rd ed. - N. Novgorod: Quartz, 2007 ,. - S. 238, 240, 242. - 288 p. - ISBN 978-5-903581-08-5 .
- Nizhny Novgorod Olympic champions in rhythmic gymnastics Posevina and Shkurikhina are employees of the FSB , nta-nn.ru , 08/28/2008
- Nizhny Novgorod sports: history and fate
- Nizhny Novgorod School of Figure Skating will celebrate its 40th anniversary , vremyan.ru , 11.26.2009
- "Gorky Automobile", Moscow "Thought" 1981
- Ring: The track in the Lower is ready to go into operation , Motorsport
- “Locomotive” in shock. The women's team from Nizhny Novgorod is again the club champion of Russia , Pavel Zarudny, Russian newspaper , Federal issue No. 4927 (103) dated June 9, 2009
- Nizhny Novgorod football player became the champion of Russia , vremyan.ru , 11/23/2009
- See information on sports and sports facilities on the website of the Administration of Nizhny Novgorod.
- Nizhny Novgorod became the winner of the championship of Russia . Time H (03/18/2010). Date of treatment March 19, 2010. Archived March 12, 2012.
- Review of the Nizhny Novgorod press. Nizhny Novgorod worker. Sport . Administration of Nizhny Novgorod (March 29, 2011). Date of treatment December 1, 2011. Archived March 12, 2012.
- Nizhny Novgorod Hippodrome will be rebuilt, rosbaltvolga.ru, 06/10/2008
- Yacht clubs, nnpages.ru
- "The Nagorny Palace of Sports opened after reconstruction" (inaccessible link) Business Petersburg ISSN 1606-1829 (Online) September 10, 2007
- February 17, winter track automobile races in the Volga class - Avtozavodskoye Ring 2008 , nta-nn.ru , February 15, 2008, will be held in N. Novgorod
- 16 athletes took part in the third final stage of the winter track automobile races “Avtozavodsky Ring - 2007” , nta-nn.ru , 02.26.2007
- Governor's Cup for Auto Racing will be played in the Birch floodplain . Time H (02/18/2010). Date of treatment February 18, 2010. Archived March 12, 2012.
- The final of the Governor’s Cup “Autotrack 2009” , nta-nn.ru , February 27, 2009 will be held in N. Novgorod
- Volga capital will host the 2018 World Cup , GTRK Nizhny Novgorod, 12/03/2010
- Russian Championship 2008, Adults Standard. Nizhny Novgorod Ball - live report from Nizhny Novgorod , dancesport.ru , 02.23.08
- In Nizhny Novgorod, November 7-8 , the VFD championship in Latin American dances will take place , nta-nn.ru , 11/05/2009
- In Nizhny Novgorod, the stage of the World Cup dressage begins , rosbalt.ru , 09/06/2008
- In Nizhny Novgorod, the final of the Cup of Russia in model aircraft sports in the air combat class was held at the Nizhny Novgorod State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company, 05.10.2009
- New items
- Nizhny Novgorod ring (race track)