Cosmin Contra ( rum. Cosmin Contra ; December 15, 1975 , Timisoara ) - Romanian football player , defender . Currently a coach .
|Full name||Cosmin Marius Contra|
Timisoara , Romania
- 1 Career
- 1.1 Club
- 1.2 In the national team
- 1.3 Coaching
- 2 Achievements
- 2.1 As a player
- 2.2 As a trainer
- 3 notes
- 4 References
He began his career in the club " Polytechnic " from his native Timisoara. In 1996 he moved to the Dynamo Bucharest.
In 1999 he moved to Alaves for $ 800,000  , where he became a key player and joined the UEFA Team of the Year  .
These successes attracted the attention of “ Milan ” to the player, but for the Italian club he spent only one season and moved to Madrid “ Atletico ”  . During his stay in Italy, Contra managed to fight with Juventus midfielder Edgar Davids  (this was one of the reasons for leaving Milan ). In Madrid, he spent two seasons, in one of which he almost did not appear on the field due to an ankle injury  .
In August 2004 he moved to West Bromwich on a leasehold for six months  . Then, also on loan for six months, he moved to his native Polytechnic . In 2005, Getafe was leased for one season  . At the end of the season, the Spanish club bought the player’s transfer.
In 2008, Contra scored in both matches of the epic confrontation with Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup  , but this did not help his team go further.
In January 2010, after a conflict with the coach, Contra left Getafe and returned to his home club for the third time, by which time it had already been renamed Timisoara. On August 30, the contract with him was broken, but two weeks later it was signed again  . A week later, he was introduced as a club's playing coach  . In December 2010, he left the club due to a conflict with the leadership. I didn’t find a new club in the winter transfer window , although I was interested in some clubs, in particular, Kuban  .
He finished his career at the Romanian club Timisoara in 2011, acting as a club's playing coach  .
In the Romanian national team since 1996, he played 73 matches and scored 7 goals (4 of which were against the Luxembourg national team )  . Member of the European Championships 2000 and 2008 . In 2009, announced the completion of an international career, but September 3, 2010 entered the field in the match of the qualifying tournament of the European Championship 2012 against the national team of Albania  .
In 2012, he returned to Romania from the Spanish club Fuenlabrada , where he worked as a coach, he headed Petrolul , signing a contract for 1.5 years  .
In 2014, he returned to the Getafe club as a head coach  , however, in the winter of 2014, he left Getafe and became the head of the Chinese club Guangzhou Fuli . The Chinese club paid the Spanish team 500 thousand euros in compensation for terminating the contract with a specialist  . Contra himself said that he was offered a salary at Guangzhou Fuli that was 5 times his salary at Getafe, and also noted that the Spanish club was counting on his return in two years  . Contra was unable to complete the entire contract due to poor club results (the team won only one victory in 13 rounds), and the contract was terminated by the leadership of the Chinese club  .
On September 22, 2017, he was appointed head coach of the Romania national team . The contract was signed before the end of the Euro 2020 qualifying campaign  .
As a player
- UEFA Cup Finalist : 2000/01
- Spain Cup Finalist : 2006/07, 2007/08
- UEFA Team of the Year: 2001
- Soccer Player of the Year in Romania : 2001
As a trainer
- Romanian Cup Winner : 2012/13
- Cosmin Contra romaniansoccer.ro
- Contra voted Romania's finest ; UEFA.com, December 18, 2001
- Contra deal goes through , BBC Sport (September 2, 2002).
- Contra and Davids suspended after scuffle ; UEFA.com, August 12, 2002
- Contra set for surgery UEFA.com, October 2, 2003
- Baggies snap up Contra , BBC Sport (August 31, 2004).
- Contra seals Spanish switch ; UEFA.com, August 4, 2005
- Crushed Contra defiant in defeat ; UEFA.com, April 11, 2008
- Contra: "M-am înţeles cu Poli. Sunt mulţumit că am rămas acasă" (rum.) . FC Timişoara (September 9, 2010). Archived March 11, 2012.
- Contra became a Timisoara coach sports.ru , September 16, 2010
- Petrescu invited the former Milan defender Contra to Kuban Archival copy of December 15, 2010 at Wayback Machine championat.ru , December 12, 2010
- Contra became a Timisoara coach
- Cosmin Contra led Petrolul
- Kozmin Contra appointed as Getafe head coach
- Ex-player of Milan Contra appointed head coach of the Chinese Guangzhou Fuli (unavailable link) . Date of treatment December 18, 2014. Archived December 19, 2014.
- Guangzhou Fuli fired Contra head coach
- Cosmin Contra a semnat contractul de selecționer al României (rum.) . Site-ul oficial al Federației Române de Fotbal (09/22/2017). Date of appeal September 29, 2017.