Church of St. Paul - Dominican church , built in the suburbs of Constantinople Galata in 1233 . It stood out among the surrounding buildings with its square bell tower, more characteristic of the Gothic churches of Italy . Over the following centuries, it remained in the hands of Genoese merchants , many of whom were buried in the local crypt .
In 1407 it was updated with funds allocated by the pope . In 1475 it was converted to a mosque (without any architectural interference), and in 1492 it was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Moors expelled from Spain, whence the modern name comes from - the Arab mosque (“ Arap-jami ”).
A functioning mosque in the modern Beyoglu district north of the Golden Horn Bay .