Caucasian salamander   ( lat. Mertensiella caucasica ) is a rare species of caudate amphibian , distinguished into the monotypic genus Caucasian, or long-tailed, salamanders ( lat. Mertensiella ). The genus was named in honor of the German scientist Robert Mertens .
|International scientific name|
Mertensiella caucasica Waga , 1876
IUCN 3.1 Vulnerable : 13198
Habitat and habitat
It lives in the mountainous regions of Georgia and Turkey , prefers wooded areas and river banks. The range is highly fragmented and amounts to only 2,000 km².
The species is classified as vulnerable by the IUCN classification. 
Body length up to 15 cm including tail . The tail is usually longer than the body.  The tail cross section is circular. The body is slim and elongated. It is painted in dark brown or black color with bright yellow spots of an oval form. Rarely found completely black color without spots. [five]
The life cycle largely coincides with the life and behavior of the fiery salamander . During the day, the salamander hides, preys on worms , wood lice and insects at night.
Unlike the fire salamander, it moves quickly, in movements it resembles a lizard. Swims well. Often hides in shallow water with his head out of the water. In danger, it can drop the tail, which will recover after some time.  
Reproduction is not well understood. Starting in June, in stagnant or low-flowing water bodies, it lays up to 90 eggs with a diameter of up to 6.5 mm.  The female attaches eggs in large groups to leaves or stones falling to the bottom.  The timing of the development of eggs and larvae is unknown. Metamorphosed young individuals are very secretive.
- Kuzmin S. L. Amphibians of the former USSR. - M.: Partnership of scientific publications of KMK, 2012. - 2nd ed. - S. 69 .-- 370 p. - ISBN 978-5-87317-871-1
- Ananyeva N. B. , Borkin L. Ya. , Darevsky I.S. , Orlov N.L. The five-language dictionary of animal names. Amphibians and reptiles. Latin, Russian, English, German, French. / edited by Acad. V. E. Sokolova . - M .: Rus. Yaz., 1988 .-- S. 32. - 10,500 copies. - ISBN 5-200-00232-X .
- Description of the species Mertensiella caucasica (English) on the website of the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources
- View description on the AmphibiaWeb website
- Sosnovsky I.P. Amphibians and reptiles of the forest. - Moscow: Timber industry, 1983. - S. 25-26.
- Chapters ed. Zenkevich L.A., under. ed. prof. Bannikova A.G. Life of animals. Amphibians and reptiles. - Moscow: Enlightenment, 1969. - V. 4. - P. 50.
- Darevsky I.S., Orlov N.L. Rare and endangered animals. Amphibians and reptiles: A reference guide. - Moscow: Higher. Shk., 1988.- S. 66. - 463 p. - ISBN 5-06-001429-0 .