“Mermaids” ( born Mermaids ) is an American comedy-drama feature film of 1990, an adaptation of the work, the author of which is Patty Dann . The director was Richard Benjamin .
|In the main|
Starring: Cher , Bob Hoskins , Winona Ryder (who was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role) and Christina Ricci , (this film was her movie debut).
- 1 plot
- 2 Cast
- 3 Criticism
- 4 Interesting Facts
- 5 notes
- 6 References
Charlotte is a teenage girl torn between a growing passion for the beautiful caretaker of the monastery and a desire to become a nun (a difficult vocation for a girl from a Jewish family). Her teenage fears are further enhanced by her younger sister Kate, who is diligently engaged in swimming, whom she affectionately calls the “fish head”, and their mother Rachel - an unusual, sexy, fiery woman who takes them to a new city every time after another scandal, which happens quite often. But even despite their personal conflicts, these three incredibly different people begin to understand that nothing - even a life-threatening event - can break their family ties.
In the new city, Rachel has a new fan of Lou. Together with him, Rachel goes to a fancy-dress New Year's party in a mermaid dress with a neckline and a train in the form of a mermaid tail. There, Lou offers Rachel a hand and a heart, but will she accept his offer?
- Cher - Rachel Flax
- Winona Ryder - Charlotte Flax
- Christina Ricci - Kate Flax
- Bob Hoskins - Lou Landsky
- Michael Sheffling - Joe Peretti
- Caroline McWilliams - Carrie
- Jan Miner - Mother
On the Rotten Tomatoes website , the film has a rating of 73%, based on 22 reviews from critics, with an average rating of 6.3 out of 10, which indicates positive reviews  .
Vincent Canby of The New York Times wrote; “The Mermaids , adapted by the English writer June Roberts from Patty Dunn’s novel, is a terribly tender, but wise comedy about the serious topic of growing up.” 
- This film was supposed to be the first American film directed by Lasse Helstrom, until he began to conflict with the main actress Cher and was replaced by Richard Benjamin.
- Christina Ricci's debut film.
- The role of Charlotte was intended for Emily Lloyd , who was supposed to get $ 435,000 and 2.5% of the fees for her. When Cher expressed dissatisfaction with the fact that blonde Lloyd does not look like her daughter, she was removed from the list of actors and replaced with Winona Ryder. Later, Lloyd sued a considerable amount from the film studio for expelling her from the film.
- The original director, Frank Oz, was also replaced at Cher's request.
- Winona Ryder was nominated for a Golden Globe Award in the category "Best Supporting Actress".
- Mermaids on the Internet Movie Database