St. Catherine’s Church is a pseudo-Romanesque building that houses the Evangelical Lutheran parish ELKRAS . Located at: Malaya Konyushennaya street , 1, corner of the Swedish Lane . Divine services are held regularly in Russian and Swedish .
|Swedish church of St. Catherine|
|Sankta katarina kyrka|
|Project Author||Karl Andersson|
|Building||1863 - 1865 years|
|Abbot||Pastor Eero Sepponen|
|Status||An object of cultural heritage of the peoples of the Russian Federation of federal significance. Reg. No. 781520362580006 ( EGROKN ). (Wikigid database)|
The community was organized in 1640 in Nienschanz . It was originally part of the Church of Sweden . After the transfer of Ingermanlandia to Russia following the results of the Northern War, part of the population was resettled in St. Petersburg . Meetings began in 1703 and were held in a private house by pastor Yakov Maidelin.
In 1734, Empress Anna Ioannovna gave the community a plot in the area of modern Nevsky Prospect , on which the first wooden church in the name of St. Anna was built. In 1745, the Swedish and Finnish communities split. The Finnish community has remained in the same place - now the Finnish Church of St. Mary is located there, and the Swedes built a prayer building in a new place, on the site of which in 1767 the stone church of St. Catherine was built. In the future, the church was rebuilt several times. The church had a parish school, shelters for boys and girls, an almshouse, and a charitable institution. Among the parishioners of the church were the Nobel and Lidval families, jeweler Karl Faberge . Karl Mannerheim , the future Russian general and president of Finland, was married in this church.
The parish functioned until 1934 , when it was closed. The building housed various organizations, the last of which was a youth sports school .
The activity of the parish was resumed in 1993 . In 2005, the building was completely transferred to the community. The Lutheran parish is considered Swedish, but organizationally it is part of ELKRAS and is not a parish of the Church of Sweden . In addition to the Lutheran parish in the church of St. Catherine, services are being held for the Church of England community.
- stone church with 300 seats laid May 17, 1767 . Architect J. M. Felten.
Consecrated on May 29, 1769 .
- A new church with 1200 seats was laid down on December 28, 1863 according to the project of architect K.K. Anderson . The building was built in pseudo-Romanesque style with a rose window. The cost of building the building amounted to 100 thousand rubles. Earl A. Armfelt became the main contributor, and Emperor Alexander II donated 5 thousand rubles. Religious paintings were painted by Professor N. Tiersch from Munich . An organ was also installed in the church. The church was consecrated on November 28, 1865 . The building exists to this day.
- Jacob Meidelin (until 1729 )
- Juhann Terne ( 1729
- Gustav Levanus ( 1730 - 1749 )
- Isaak Hugberg ( 1749 - 1783 )
- Emmanuel Indrenius ( 1784 - 1792 )
- Juhann Genrik Signeus ( 1793 - 1798 )
- Nils Adolf Donner ( 1799 - 1800 )
- Karl Tavast ( 1801 - 1825 )
- Erik Gustaf Ehrström ( 1826 - 1835 )
- Gustav Friedrich Zandt ( 1836 - 1881 )
- Lars Peter Reinhold Hofren ( 1881 - 1884 )
- Herman Kajanus ( 1885 - 1913
- Nils Arthur Malm ( 1913 - 1918 )
- Selim Hjalmari Laurikkala, ( 1932 - 1934 )
- E. E. Knyazeva, G. F. Sokolova “Lutheran churches and parishes of Russia of the XVIII — XX centuries”, St. Petersburg, “Litera”, 2001, ISBN 5-89319-048-3
- Church of st. Catherine in the Encyclopedia of St. Petersburg (building)
- Church of st. Catherine in the Encyclopedia of St. Petersburg (parish)
- Consulate General of Sweden in St. Petersburg: Swedish Parish in St. Petersburg