Michel Yost (Jos) ( French Michel Yost ; 1754 , Paris - July 5, 1786 , ibid.) - French clarinet player , composer and teacher, founder of the French clarinet school.
|Date of Birth||1754|
|Place of Birth||Paris|
|Date of death||July 5, 1786|
|Place of death||Paris|
Performer, music teacher , composer
He studied clarinet playing with Johann Joseph Behr , the first solo performance took place in 1777 at one of the "Spiritual Concerts". Contemporaries noted in his performance the beauty and brightness of sound, as well as great technical skill. From 1781 to 1786 , Jost performed at Spiritual Concerts 38 times, often performing his own compositions. Despite the fact that Jost did not have a composer education, he wrote quite a lot of works (mainly for his instrument), which were later published with the support of his friend, composer Johann Vogel. The parts of the solo clarinet in the works of Jost abound in passages and virtuoso episodes. The melodies from his concerts subsequently entered various collections of sketches as examples of high technical difficulty.
Jost was also credited with Peru's “Clarinet and Flute School,” signed by V. Michel , but later it turned out that most of it was written by Francois-Louis Michel, and Jost only corrected the clarinet parts used in it.
Despite his short life, Jost managed to educate a number of French clarinetists, who later formed the French clarinet school of performance. Among his students the most famous is Jean Xavier Lefebvre .
- 14 concerts for clarinet and orchestra;
- 66 duets for two clarinets;
- 12 arias with variations for two clarinets;
- 12 arias with variations for clarinet and viola ;
- 3 trios for two clarinets and bassoon ;
- 27 trios for various compositions with clarinet;
- 18 quartets for clarinet, violin , viola and cello ;
- 12 arias with variations for the same composition
- Pamela Weston . Clarinet Virtuosi of the Past (London, 1971)
- Jost in the "Universal Biography of Musicians" by François Feti (Fr.)
- Clarinet List
- Site dedicated to Yost (inaccessible link)
- Jost, Michelle: sheet music at International Music Score Library Project