The 2010 All-Russian Population Census is an event conducted throughout the Russian Federation according to a unified state statistical methodology in order to obtain generalized demographic, economic and social information. The main round of the census was held from October 14 to October 25, 2010 , in some places the census is conducted from April 1 to December 20, 2010. The purpose of the census campaign is to collect information about persons who are on a certain date in the territory of the Russian Federation . Preparation for the census began in 2007 . Processing of the obtained information, generation of results, their publication and distribution were carried out in 2010 - 2013  .
The census is organized by the Federal State Statistics Service .
Preparation for the census began in 2007 .
In the fall of 2008, a trial census was conducted in Balashikha, Moscow Region , Petrograd District of St. Petersburg and the Central District of Khabarovsk , covering approximately 300 thousand people in order to develop program-methodological and organizational issues for the 2010 All-Russian Population Census, as well as automated processing technology obtained information and summarizing  .
It was planned to postpone this census to 2013 due to the financial crisis, but Vladimir Putin later announced that the census would be carried out in 2010, and that 10.5 billion rubles had been allocated for the census. Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation dated December 23, 2009 No. 1075 established that from October 14 to October 25, 2010 the next All-Russian population census is conducted. In remote and inaccessible territories, transport connections with which are difficult in the planning period, the All-Russian population census is conducted from April 1 to December 20, 2010.
Everyone could participate in the census. The census involved more than 600 thousand people with whom the territorial bodies of state statistics (TOGS) conclude a contract . In total, about 62 thousand jobs with employment per year and about 700 thousand temporary jobs with employment per month were created. The remuneration of workers involved in its preparation and conduct amounts to two thirds of the federal budget funds provided for the 2010 All-Russian Population Census  .
Terms of payment of remuneration to persons involved in the preparation and conduct of the census (before taxes)   .
|The category of persons involved||Attraction Period||Average load|
for 1 person
( rub .)
(supervises the work of instructors)
from September 13, 2010
November 11, 2010
(supervises the work of scribes)
from October 4, 2010
November 3, 2010
from October 8, 2010
October 29, 2010
- Census Heads
They are hired for 2 months. Their responsibilities include preparing documents for the census, training instructors and sending the results of the census to Rosstat representatives in the region.
They are hired for 45 days. Their duties are to train census takers, verify the correctness of filling out census forms, and conduct a control round.
They are divided into enumerators and stationary plots. The first visit all residential premises on their counting site and fill out census forms according to residents. To prevent abuse of trust, all enumerators have special attributes: a blue briefcase with documents, a blue scarf with the inscription "All-Russian population census", a flashlight, a whistle and a certificate. Responsibilities of census takers of a stationary site include filling out census forms for those who have come to the stationary site or who have called by phone. All census takers are hired for 22 days (from October 8 to 12 - training and testing, 13 - familiarization with the boundaries of their site, from October 26 to 29 - a control round and delivery of materials)  .
Universities of the country were instructed to attract students and graduate students to participate in the census. Some university officials began to try to force students to this work. So, graduate students of the Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics of St. Petersburg State University received a letter stating that they were included in this work by order of the dean, and the monetary reward for this work would be 5500 rubles  . However, in the future, the university management reported that any form of coercion "should be considered as a manifestation of excessive official zeal in the field"  . The same situation at NRNU MEPhI: by order of the rector , most students of the 4th and 5th year of full-time studies are removed from school for two weeks and conduct a population census for (5500 - 13%) rubles. The deans say that instead of boycotting the census, students will "paint the walls and collect foliage, already without payment." Nevertheless, A. I. Chursinov, Vice-Rector of NRNU MEPhI , in an interview with “Novye Izvestia” reported  that participation in the census is voluntary and students are not forced to do anything.
During the census, facts were discovered when the census takers were recorded “on the reserve” and worked without paying their labor  , when it was necessary to get a credit card to receive money  , when some students entered into an agreement with Rosstat, but working as census takers did not go, and their salary cards were taken by instructors  . In some universities, the money of enumeration students is appropriated, promising to count participation in the census as a fact-finding and production practice  . At Moscow State Mining University, students and staff were sent to practice by order  , while 5th year students replaced half of the pre-graduation practice at specialized enterprises with participation in the autumn census.
The entire territory of the country is divided into census plots. Each of them is headed by the head of the census office.
Each census site is divided into instructor sites; they are led by instructors.
Each instructor site is divided into enumeration areas. Each enumeration area is assigned a scribe, which collects information about the entire population living in the territory of its enumeration area.
In addition, stationary enumeration areas have been organized where people (without housing, who do not want to let the census taker go home, etc.) can come and answer questions from the census form.
The collection of information about the population is carried out at the time of the population count 0 hours (local time) on October 14, 2010.
The head of the Federal State Statistics Service on October 19, 2010 reported that on October 14, 2% of census takers did not go to work for various reasons  .
Due to the flood, Rosstat extended the census in Tuapse district of Krasnodar Territory for 5 days, Absheron district of Krasnodar Territory for 2 days  .
On October 25, 2010, there were a large number of calls to the Rosstat “hot line” with the question: “Why haven’t we been rewritten?”  .
- On October 15, a citizen of Belarus robbed a female copyist in Moscow and stole a bag with census forms  .
- On October 15, media reported that, along with the official website of the 2010 census, on October 14, a backup site began its work. The doubler was a mirror of the official census site. However, at the same time, materials from the official site of the census were submitted by the understudy “in a simplified or distorted form”  . Subsequently, the site was closed.
- In Chelyabinsk over the weekend of October 16 and 17, two scribes suffered from the actions of drunken hooligans  .
- In Orenburg, two girls posing as scribes were detained on suspicion of embezzlement of a 71-year-old pensioner  .
- In the Tomsk Region , three insured events were recorded during the census: one scribe was hit by a car, two were bitten by dogs  .
- In Voronezh, two women who introduced themselves as census takers stole 219 thousand rubles from the pensioner's apartment  .
Census boycott calls
Some opposition organizations, the Russian All-Military Union (ROVS) , The Other Russia  , and the movements “Russian Children - Accessible Preschool Education”  and “Russian Co-Owners”  called for a boycott of the Russian census. In particular, the ROVS statement stated  :
“... The census, from the most important state affairs, as it was in Russia in 1897, was turned into the Russian Federation into an instrument of propaganda, political manipulation, ethnocide of the Russian population and simply an unworthy booth. The consequences of this booth are by no means harmless ...
There is no doubt that the census results will be falsified this time. Therefore, participation or non-participation in it becomes the same formality as during the presidential and Duma “elections” held in Russia. But support for such events - there is direct support for counterfeiters. The massive boycott of the census will be a test for people of civic maturity and the ability to assert their rights. A fundamental refusal to participate in such actions is a matter of national honor and civil conscience of the people. ”
However, not all oppositionists supported calls for a boycott, for example, Ilya Yashin , a member of the bureau of the political council of the Solidarity movement, said that he did not consider it right to boycott the census  . A number of experts see other problems, in particular, political analyst Sergei Gavrov believes that the census was not promoted by public distrust and fragmentation of citizens  .
Response to Refuseniks
According to the law, participation in the census in Russia is voluntary - clause 4 of article 1 of the law “On the All-Russian Population Census” calls participation in the All-Russian population census “a public duty of man and citizen”  .
According to paragraph 2 of paragraph 3 of Article 6 of the Law, in case of absence of people at home during the entire period of the census or refusal to provide information about yourself, “collection of information about the gender and age (date of birth) of these persons can be carried out by obtaining them on the basis of administrative data in the manner established by the Government of the Russian Federation ”  . So the head of the Federal State Statistics Service Alexander Surinov in an interview with the newspaper. Ru ”said that data on those who refused to answer questions and on those who are constantly absent are taken from registration  .
There were also media reports about how the authorities react to those who refused the census  :
- In Ryazan , the police come to the refused   .
- In Chelyabinsk, the head of the administration, Sergey Davydov, ordered a list of refuseniks to be drawn up    . At the same time, the senator from the Chelyabinsk region Ruslan Gattarov said that, in his opinion, no “repressive measures will be applied to citizens, and the Chelyabinsk authorities will effectively fulfill their obligations to them”  .
It is reported that they refused to participate in the census of 1.2 million Russians  .
According to the Russian BBC service, the Russian Orthodox Church called the absence of religion columns in census forms for discrimination. “This is absolute discrimination. It’s as if they’re afraid of learning about the religious state of our society, ”said Archpriest Vladimir Vigilyansky, head of the press service’s patriarchal office. According to him, in order to include such a column in the questionnaire, “a rejection of anti-religious thinking” is necessary  .
The following forms are used during the census:
- Census forms - approved by the order of the Government of the Russian Federation dated December 16, 2009 No. 1990-p 
- L - Census form - contains 25 questions and is filled in for persons permanently residing in the room. A separate form L is filled out for each person
- P - Census form - contains questions that characterize the dwelling (house) as a whole (section I), each dwelling (section II) and the living conditions of each household living in this dwelling (section III)
- B - The census form - according to the shortened program contained in Form B, those who were temporarily in Russia at the time of the population count and permanently reside abroad are interviewed. Form B is designed for eight people - four people on each side of the form
- Control and accompanying documents - approved by the order of Rosstat dated 12/31/2009 No. 332 
- Cover - Cover for census documents Separates census forms filled out in different living quarters. The cover contains brief information about the 2010 All-Russian Population Census for enumerators and respondents, as well as supporting information on filling out Form C and questions 1 and 3 of Form L
- C - List of persons - contains the address of the dwelling and a list of persons subject to the 2010 All-Russian Population Census. Table 1 is filled out for permanently (usually) residents living in this room, and Table 2 is filled in for temporary residents of this building on the census date and permanently living in another place. These tables should be completed in each dwelling prior to the population survey on census forms. They serve to control whether all residents in a given dwelling are enumerated on the corresponding census forms, as well as to verify whether residents of households are correctly recorded.
- КС - List of persons - to control the completion of census forms Required in order to avoid double counting of the population. It is compiled if a person has two places of residence and the place of residence where the census taker conducts the survey is selected for the census
- DSS - Information - on passing the census It is issued at the end of the survey and filling out the census form to all those who do not have a permanent residence - to the homeless (they correspond in form L), to all who are drawn up in form B, and also to those who have more than one place residence (who compiled the form of the Constitutional Court), which declare that in the period before the end of the census and the control bypass may be in another place of residence. In addition, the DSS form is issued during the census of the population of remote and inaccessible territories to those who intend to leave the inaccessible territory for a second place of residence or move to a new place of residence during the total period of the census and control bypass (from October 14 to 29, 2010)
- This certificate confirms the census. If, during the census, a person submits to the census taker a certificate stating that he has already been census elsewhere, the census taker should not interview such people again and enter information about them in the census forms on his account office
- N - Accompanying form - a technical document on which data on the total area (when the total area consists of one settlement or only part of the local area) is recorded or data on the part of the total area related to one settlement (when the total area consists of several settlements)
- SZ - Information on persons registered at the place of residence and place of stay - in accordance with paragraph 3 of Article 6 of Federal Law of January 25, 2002 No. 8-FZ “On the All-Russian Population Census”, information on the gender and age (date of birth) of persons who were absent during the census or refused to provide information about themselves, can be obtained on the basis of administrative data in the manner established by the Government of the Russian Federation.
- Form 1 - Scribe Notebook
- Form 2 - Notebook Instructor 
- Form 3 - Notebook of the census head 
- Form 4 - Notebook of the Commissioner for Census in the district, city 
- Form 5 - Consolidated statement of instructor site 
- Form 6 - Consolidated Census Statement List 
- Form 7 - Consolidated statement of the district (city) 
- Form 8 - Summary of the population census by district (city) 
- Form 9 - Information leaflet (for people who are difficult to find at home) - In the event that the census taker did not find citizens at home, he leaves a form with the address and telephone number of the corresponding census site
- Form 10 - Card for respondents. The card must be shown to the respondent during the survey. On one side of the card are options for answering question 10 of Form L, Sources of Livelihood. On the back - a table to determine the level of education (question 8.1) by the number of completed classes.
- Form 11 - Label in a copyist's portfolio
In addition, the following methodological documents were approved  :
- Instruction on the procedure for conducting the 2010 All-Russian Population Census and filling out census documents 
- Indices for census and instructor sites
Processing of the obtained information, generation of results, their publication and distribution are planned for 2010-2013. The results were promised to be published on the Internet in the public domain. The deadline for processing the results is the fourth quarter of 2013 . [one]
- Preliminary results
According to the first preliminary results announced in November 2010, about 141.18 million people  were enumerated in Russia, and 11.7 million people in Moscow  . Volgograd managed to return to the number of millionaire cities  due to the previous annexation of nearby territories, and Voronezh , who made the same attempt, was not able to join them  .
According to a survey conducted by the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center , among the respondents 65% were personally rewritten, 22% from the words of relatives, 11% were not rewritten  . Most of the respondents were enumerated at home (92%), and 4% of the respondents came to the census site. In Moscow and St. Petersburg , 11% of the respondents came to the census site  .
According to the Public Opinion Foundation, 66% of the respondents personally participated in the census, 26% were cited from relatives, and 7% did not participate  .
- Census Results
According to preliminary census results announced in March 2011, the population of Russia amounted to 142 905 200 people  . Since the 2002 census , Russia has moved in terms of population from 7th to 8th place in the world. The final results of the census were carried out in the fourth quarter of 2013  .
The total cost of the federal budget for the census over six years is estimated at 17 billion rubles. Most of these funds are planned to be spent on the publication of census results in 11 volumes, as well as brochures and atlases with the results  .
Commemorative coins and stamps
Russian Post issued a stamp with a face value of 12 rubles and a circulation of 495 thousand, dedicated to the 2010 All-Russian Population Census  .
The Bank of Russia announced the release of two commemorative coins dedicated to the census from August 2, 2010:
- coins of silver with a face value of 3 rubles (circulation of 7,500 copies)  ;
- coins from a bimetallic alloy (brass and cupronickel) with a face value of 10 rubles (circulation of 2.3 million copies)  .
- Medal "For Merit in the 2010 All-Russian Population Census"
- Portal All-Russian Census of 2010. “When will we know for sure”
- Chronicle of the 2008 Trial Census Archived August 4, 2010 on the Wayback Machine
- Copyists will be taught to copy
- Conditions for the payment of remuneration to persons involved in the preparation and conduct of the 2010 All-Russian Population Census, summing up its results (Appendix No. 2 to the order of the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation and the Ministry of Health and Social Development of the Russian Federation “On determining the conditions for remuneration and payment of remuneration to individuals, involved in the preparation and conduct of the 2010 All-Russian Population Census, summing up its results ”dated March 17, 2010 No. 106 / 162n) unopened (doc) (March 17, 2010). Date of treatment October 28, 2010. Archived June 6, 2012.
- Information on the progress of the census in the Frunze district // Official portal of the Administration of St. Petersburg Archival copy of October 16, 2010 on the Wayback Machine
- How to become a scribe?
- The text of the letter to graduate students (Inaccessible link) . Date of treatment September 28, 2010. Archived September 11, 2010.
- Census: kinks in the field (inaccessible link) . Date of treatment September 28, 2010. Archived May 22, 2013.
- K. Muravyov. Everyone is important to Russia - Population Census 2010 for students . Date of treatment February 7, 2018.
- Students will be taught to count an Archival copy of October 15, 2010 on the Wayback Machine
- Census: from words and eyes // Interfax
- Students about the slavery of census takers: they don’t pay money, but they automatically write to United Russia // Newsru.com
- Media: the census is conducted with violations - from misappropriation of money to data distortion // Newsru.com
- 9 deceptions of the census // Labor No. 195 of October 19, 2010
- // Orders of Moscow State University for the All-Russian Population Census 2010 Archival copy of July 18, 2012 on the Wayback Machine
- Surinov: on the day the census began, 2% of census takers did not go to work // RIA Novosti
- Rosstat extended the census in two flooded areas of the Kuban // RIA Novosti
- Census — 2010: More questions than answers // RIA Novosti
- Robbery of a woman in Moscow says that he did not know that she was a census taker // RIA Novosti
- The fake site of the All-Russian Population Census appeared on the Internet // Newsru.com
- Two attacks on scribes were committed in Chelyabinsk // RIA Novosti
- Two girls in Orenburg are suspected of theft under the guise of scribes // RIA Novosti
- Three scribes in the Tomsk region will receive insurance payments // RIA Novosti
- Kasparov. Ru | “Other Russia” called for a boycott of the census <
- Lenta.ru: In Russia: Limonov urged to boycott the census
- Young parents announced a boycott of the census - NGS.
- Deceived real estate investors boycott the census - Newspaper. Ru
- Boycott of the census
- What's worse: census or election? , "Power", No. 42 (896), 10.25.2010.
- Russian distrust prevented censuses (inaccessible link)
- Federal Law of January 25, 2002 “On the All-Russian Population Census” No. 8-FZ . Consultant Plus . Date of treatment October 30, 2010.
- "Swearing has become more, but it is also not bad" . gazeta.ru (10.26.2010). - The newspaper Gazeta.Ru has completed an online interview with the head of Rosstat, Alexander Surinov. He told how the 2010 All-Russian Census was held and summed up its first results. Date of appeal October 30, 2010. Archived on June 6, 2012.
- Russian citizens will be fined for refusing to participate in the census. Finam 10/2/12 Archival copy of October 6, 2012 on the Wayback Machine
- Boycotting Ryazans census visits police "News.Werd.Ru - independent press
- Those who ignore the census are blacklisted , rbc.ru, 10.26.2010.
- Chelyabinsk citizens who refused to participate in the census will be blacklisted by the city hall , New Region, 10/25/2010. (inaccessible link) . Date of treatment October 25, 2010. Archived October 27, 2010.
- In Russia, the census is being completed. Chelyabinsk "refuseniks" will be blacklisted , Newsru.com, 10/25/2010.
- Over 1.2 million Russians refused to participate in the census - Society - GZT.RU
- ROC saw discrimination in the census // BBC October 14, 2010 (unavailable link) . Date of treatment October 18, 2010. Archived October 17, 2010.
- Order of the Government of the Russian Federation of December 16, 2009 No. 1990-r (Doc). Government of the Russian Federation (December 16, 2009). Date of treatment October 18, 2010. Archived June 6, 2012.
- Order of the Federal State Statistics Service dated 12/31/2009 No. 332 . Rosstat (December 31, 2009). Date of treatment October 18, 2010. Archived June 6, 2012.
- Rosstat Order of March 23, 2010 No. 128 . Rosstat (December 31, 2009). Date of treatment October 28, 2010. Archived June 6, 2012.
- Instruction on the procedure for conducting the 2010 All-Russian Population Census and filling out census documents (approved by Order of the Federal State Statistics Service dated March 23, 10 No. 128) . Rosstat (March 23, 2010). Date of treatment October 18, 2010. Archived June 6, 2012.
- Goskomstat on filling out census forms Archived on September 8, 2012.
- Interfax-Goskomstat on the first results of the census in Moscow
- Gregory Statsky. Volgograd remained a millionaire city . v1.ru (November 1, 2010). Date of treatment November 3, 2010. Archived on June 6, 2012.
- Voronezhstat about the failed millionaire of Voronezh
- VTsIOM. Press release No. 1621. RESULTS OF THE 2010 CENSUS
- Issue 43 of November 4, 2010, Topic 4: The All-Russian Population Census // Public Opinion Foundation
- Rosstat suggests making the census mandatory , Regnum (April 8, 2015). Date of appeal October 17, 2017.
- They counted us
- No. 1453. All-Russian Population Census - 2010. . rusmarka.ru. Date of treatment March 29, 2011. Archived June 6, 2012.
- CBR - All-Russian Population Census (Inaccessible link) . Date of treatment June 23, 2012. Archived November 20, 2012.
- CBR - All-Russian Population Census (Inaccessible link) . Date of treatment June 23, 2012. Archived November 20, 2012.