Vugar Gasim oglu Gashimov ( Azeri. Vüqar Qasım oğlu Həşimov ; July 24, 1986 , Baku - January 11, 2014 , Heidelberg ) - Azerbaijani chess player , grandmaster ( 2002 ).
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth||Baku , Azerbaijan SSR|
|Date of death|
|Place of death||Heidelberg , Germany|
|Rank||Grand Master ( 2002 ) |
International Master ( 1998 )
|Maximum Rating||2761 (January 2012)|
Vugar Hashimov was born on July 24, 1986 in Baku . His father taught him to play chess when he was 6 years old. Vugar became the champion of Azerbaijan three times: in 1995, 1996 and 1998. Hashimov was a silver medalist at the European Youth Championship 4 times between 1996 and 2000. He won in a group of under 16 at the Kasparov Cup in 1999  . Four times he played for the Azerbaijani team in chess competitions (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008), and also was a member of the national team of Azerbaijan , which played against the world team in Baku on May 9 - 9, 2009 within the framework of the Cup of the President of Azerbaijan Heydar Aliyev  . In 2007, he won a bronze medal in the European Team Chess Championship , and in 2009 became the European champion with the national team of Azerbaijan (it was Vugar who brought his team a decisive point in the last round). Vice-champion of Europe in 2011 in the national team, and the winner of the tournament Reggio Emilia 2010—2011.
Vugar Hashimov has already completed the course of treatment in Germany, and since 2014 his participation in competitions has been expected. However, the chess player, who, according to the information, had a malignant brain tumor, died unexpectedly on January 11, 2014.
Vugar was known as a particularly strong blitz chess player. 
- Since 2014, an annual tournament in memory of Vugar Gashimov has been held in Shamkir with the participation of the strongest chess players of the world  .
- On October 1, 2016, the opening of the Vugar Gashimov Chess Academy took place in Baku  .
- Vugar Gashimov's personal card on the FIDE website
- Vugar Gashimov's games in
- Personal card Vugar Gashimov on the site 365chess.com (English)
- Vugar Gashimov's speeches at chess competitions
- Vugar Gashimov's speeches at the world team championships
- Vugar Gashimov's speeches at the European team championships
- Acquaintance with Vugar Gashimov became my debut in the profession of journalist - Bahram Bagirzade