Vila do Bíspu ( port. Vila do Bispo ; / 'vila du' biʃpu /) is an urban-type village in Portugal , the center of the municipality of the same name in the district of Faro . The population is 1.0 thousand inhabitants (village), 5.3 thousand inhabitants (municipality). The village and municipality are part of the Algarve region and the Algarve subregion. Part of the metropolitan area Big Algarve .
|Vila do Bishpu|
|port. Vila do bispo|
|Municipality||Vila do Bishpu|
|Internal division||5 districts|
|The mayor||Gilberto Viegash|
|History and Geography|
|Timezone||UTC0 , summer UTC + 1|
|Population||5,349 people ( 2001 )|
|Density||30 people / km²|
|Telephone code||+351 282|
Vila do Bishpu is located next to Cape São Vicente (which is the most southwestern point of Europe), in the territory of the Sudoeste Alentejano i Costa Vicentina National Park.
- Lisbon - 183 km
- Faro - 87 km.
- Beja - 139 km
The municipality borders:
- in the north - Aljezur municipality
- in the northeast - the municipality of Lagos ,
- in the south is the Atlantic Ocean .
- in the west - the Atlantic Ocean
|The population of the municipality of Vila do Bishpu (1801-2004)|
The village was founded in 1662 .
In the XV-XVIII centuries. Portuguese territory was repeatedly attacked by pirates and naval battles took place at Cape St. Vicente.
Almost 2/3 of the municipality is occupied by the Sudoeste-Alentejanu i Costa Vicentina National Reserve. There are more than 2700 plant species (400 of which are found only here).
Beaches of Vila Nova do Bishpu
- Burgau (Praia de Burgau)
- Cabanas Velhas
- Boca do Rio (Boca do Rio)
- Salema (Praia da Salema)
- Carrapateira (Praia da Carrapateira)
Architectural and archaeological sites
- Fortress Sagres (Fortaleza de Sagres)
- Cape San Vicente Fortress (Fortaleza do Cabo de São Vicente)
- Belische Fortress (Fortaleza de Belixe)
- Fort Baleeira
- Menir de Aspradantes
- Chapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Ermida de Nossa Senhora de Guadalupe)
- Church of Raposeira (Igreja da Raposeira)
- House of Infanta (Casa do Infante)
Vila do Bishpu
- Group of Menirs Vila do Bispo (Conjunto de menires de Vila do Bispo)
- Church of Our Lady of Vila do Bispo (Igreja Matriz de Vila do Bispo)
- Forte Burgau
- Fort Boca do Rio (Fort at the mouth of the river) (Forte da Boca do Rio)
- Roman-Lusitanian ruins of Boca do Rio (Ruínas lusitano-romanas da Boca do Rio)
It is based mainly on the tourism business. Inland areas have small agricultural land.
The roads N125 Sagres - Faro and N268 Sagres - Aljezur pass through the territory of the municipality.
The distance from Vila do Bishpu by road to: Aljezur - 34.4 km, Sagres - 9.6 km, Lagos - 23.6 km, Faro - 110 km.
|Fregezia (districts) of the municipality of Vila do Bishpu|
|Number of inhabitants|
people / km²
- Faro (Borough)
- Faro County Municipalities
- Faro District