Phillip Maximilian Opitz ( Czech Philipp Maximilian Opiz , June 5, 1787 , Caslav , Bohemia - May 20, 1858 , Prague ) - Czech botanist, self-taught, mycologist .
|Philip Maximilian Opitz|
|Philipp Maximilian Opiz|
|Date of Birth||June 5, 1787|
|Place of Birth||Caslav , Bohemia|
|Date of death||May 20, 1858 (70 years old)|
|Place of death||Prague , Czech Republic|
|Taxonomy of wildlife|
The author of the names of a number of botanical taxa . In the botanical ( binary ) nomenclature, these names are supplemented by the abbreviation " Opiz " .
List of such taxa on the IPNI website
Personal page on IPNI website
He began floristic studies of the Czech Republic, published numerous works on the flora of this country.
A lover of botany, Opitz has gathered a large herbarium , which is now located in the Museo de Průhonice, near Prague.
In 1817, Opitz created an association for the exchange of natural science collections: plants , seeds and insects . Many researchers sent him their samples.
In 1818, he published Flora cryptogamica Bohemiae , which reflected his interest in biodiversity.
In 1823, his catalog of plants was published.
From 1823 to 1830 he published the newspaper " Naturalientausch " with materials on taxonomy and floristry .
By 1858, there were 862 members in his association and about 1,700,000 samples were collected.
In honor of Opitz are named:
- plant genus Opium ( Opizia J.Presl & C.Presl ) of the Cereals family ( Poaceae ), including two species:
- Opizia Bracteata McVaugh
- Opizia stolonifera J.Presl
- types of plants:
- Piper opizianum Fürnr. - Pepper Opitsa
- Potentilla opizii Domin - Potentilla opica
- Thymus × opizii F.Weber - Thyme Opica
- Opiz FM Seznam Rostlin Kveteny Ceske. Mala Encyklopedie Nauk. - Praha, 1852. - Dil. 10 (Czech)
- Opitz Philip Maximilian - article from the Great Soviet Encyclopedia .
- Philipp Maxmilian Opiz und seine Bedeutung für die Pflanzentaxonomie, Prag, 1958 (German)
- Futák L, Domin K., Bibliografia k flóre ČSR do roku 1952, Brat., 1960. (Czech)