“The Messiah Cleans Up the Disc” is a novel by Henry Lyon Oldie .
|Messiah cleans the disk|
|Author||Henry Lyon Oldie|
|Date of first publication||1995|
Refers to the subgenre of mythological fantasy . The novel is built on the material of Chinese mythology  . Like other Oldie’s novels in this subgenre, such as (“The hero must be alone ”, “ Odysseus, Laertes son ”, “ Black Balamut ”), the classic myth is revised in it, the authors change the original meaning of the events described in it  . An interesting feature of the Oldie worlds described in these historical fantasy genres is that the countries described there are closed universes, “torn from historical realities”. So the Celestial Empire in the novel exists in its own closed world (“nomos” in the terminology “Odysseus, the son of Laertes”) and has no contacts with countries beyond its borders. Japan and Indochina are parts of the “nomos” of the Celestial Empire  .
The novel takes place in alternative China of the 15th century. The effect of the Law of Karma in the novel is compared with the work of a computer system.
Awards and Prizes
- Prize of the Association of Russian-Speaking Writers of the State of Israel "For Outstanding Contribution to the Development of Contemporary Russian Literature" (awarded at Fancon-97) 
A number of absurd at first glance crimes are happening in Ningo County. A worried district van entrusts the investigation to Judge Bao, known as the Dragon Seal, who is known for his meticulousness and integrity. At the same time, the monk and, concurrently, the head of the secret chancellery, Van Ban, insistently advises the judge to stop the investigation. Suspecting the conspiracy of the Shaolin monks against the power of the Van and the emperor himself, Bao continues the investigation.
He appeals for help to his friend, the Taoist magician, Lan Daohsing, and, under the guise of an applicant for the title of “warrior monk,” sends his scout Zmeenysh Tsai to the Shaolin monastery.
At the same time, a disease called “Madness of the Buddha ” is rampant in the Celestial Empire : several souls of dead people inhabit the human body, leading a person to madness and soon death. Doe Daoxing advises the judge to seek advice from the lord of the afterlife Yan-wang and himself accompanies the judge to hell .
Judge Bao meets with Yan-wang , who is aware of what is happening, but he can not do anything. During a conversation with the prince of hell, the judge sees two hands stealing the scrolls of people's lives, but it turns out that only he sees them. Yan-wan proposes to the judge: from now on, every night, falling asleep, the judge will be transferred to hell, where he will continue the investigation and monitor his hands.
The judge's scout becomes a monk of Shaolin. In the monastery, he meets a mysterious child, nicknamed Little Arhat . Two souls live inside Little Arhat: an autistic child from China and a Russian hacker of the 20th century who died during an attempt on his employer. Although he is a “mad Buddha”, he does not go crazy and does not die, because he lives in Shaolin (the hacker believes that this place is comparable to the boot sector of a computer where anti-virus programs do not work). Little Arhat is alone exploring the famous Shaolin Labyrinth of mannequins, a deadly place of testing the skill of monks. At the same time, almost every night, the monastery chef Feng descends into the maze. Possessing a photographic memory and impeccable logic, characteristic of the personality of a former computer genius, Little Arhat exposes Tsai and becomes his ally.
Suddenly, the Monk Banya returns to the monastery. The patriarch of the monastery sends him with urgent business to Beijing . The bath asks to accompany the youngest and harmless monk. The choice falls on the Serpent.
Meanwhile, enlightenment happens with the original personality of Little Arhat (a child), which is a kind of “connection” to the Law of Karma directly. The system, as a former hacker calls it, makes it part of an “antivirus program.”
Rebellion begins in Ningo, Judge Bao goes to jail. In Beijing, the new emperor orders the execution of all the monks of the secret chancellery and prepares the army for the march on Shaolin. Only Bani remains alive - he was captured later than everyone and they want to interrogate. Little Arhat saves the judge, and Serpent - Sauna. All of them, together with Lan Daoxing, are returning to Shaolin. Putting together the information they know, they understand who the virus that infected the Middle Kingdom is the monastery chef Feng, or rather, his love for the motherland, which turned out to be a source of violations of the Law of Karma. Doe Daoxing reports that their world is on the verge of destruction (a computer genius calls this disk formatting comparable to Armageddon ).
Friends find Feng in the Labyrinth. The serpent inflicts a fatal blow to Feng, but this does not save the situation. Little Arhat understands that a “soft” cleansing of the disc is necessary - with the help of the Messiah , who will take upon himself the sins of the world and die. But the ideas of messianism and companions are not understood by the Celestial Empire and they do not understand Little Arhat. His first personality is ready to take on a terrible duty, but Feng is ahead of him, having voluntarily corrected what he has done with his death.
- Judge Bao is a judge from Ningo, an experienced investigator, and a third-ranking official. Full man of middle age. Known for his honesty, he is also characterized by courage and intelligence.
- Doe Daoxing is a Taoist , friend and adviser to Judge Bao. His peer, short, skinny and seemingly funny man. In fact, a powerful magician, a student of a celestial.
- The Tsai Kite is an upscale professional scout from a family of professional scouts. Agent Bao Bao. He looks like a young man, although he is about forty years old.
- Rev. Ban is sen-bin, a warrior monk, one of the best Shaolin masters.
- Little Arhat is a monk child from Shaolin , the owner of two souls: an autistic child of the Celestial Empire of the 15th century and Russian computer genius from the 20th century.
- Chef Feng is a half-mad cook from Shaolin.
- Svyatoslav Loginov . Russian fantasy - a new Cinderella // Empire. - 1998. - January ( No. 1 ).
- Boris Nevsky. Old tale in a new way. Mythological fiction // World of fiction . - 2007. - January ( No. 41 ).
- Maxim Dvorak. "Keys to the Chinese Nomos." An essay based on the thesis “Specificity of the Conflict and the Genre of the novel by L. L. Oldie,“ The Messiah Cleans Up the Disc ” (2012).
- If magazine, 1997, p. 136
- Maxim Dvorak. "Keys to the Chinese Nomos." An essay based on the thesis “Specificity of the Conflict and the Genre of the novel by L. L. Oldie,“ The Messiah Cleans the Disc ” (2012).
- Maxim Dvorak. Science fiction as an interpretation of postmodernism (on the example of the novel by L. L. Oldi “The Messiah cleans the disk // Bulletin of TvSU, series“ Philology ”. - 2013. - Issue 6. - P. 267-272 .
- Kalenichenko O. N. On the problem of postmodernism in the novel by L. L. Oldi “The Messiah cleans the disk” - Kharkov, VN Karazin Kharkiv National University “News of the Kharkiv National University. V.N. Karazіna ”- N901: Seriya: Philology. Vip. 59 - 2010 - S.123-127.