Monchique ( port. Monchique ; / mõ'ʃik (ɨ) /) is an urban-type village in Portugal , the center of the municipality of the same name in the Faro district. The population is 5.4 thousand inhabitants (village), 6.4 thousand inhabitants (municipality). The village and municipality are part of the Algarve region and the Algarve subregion. Part of the urban agglomeration Big Algarve .
|Internal division||3 districts|
|The mayor||Carlos Tuta|
|History and Geography|
|Center height||398 m|
|Timezone||UTC0 , summer UTC + 1|
|Population||6,441 people ( 2006 )|
|Density||18 people / km²|
- 1 Location
- 2 population
- 3 History
- 4 Attractions
- 4.1 Architectural monuments
- 4.2 Other interesting places
- 5 Economics
- 6 Transport
- 7 Neighborhoods
- 8 Photo Gallery
- 9 See also
- 10 Links
The village is located on the picturesque hills of the Serra di Monchique ridge, between its two highest points: Mount Foya (902 m) and Mount Picota .
- Lisbon - 163 km
- Faro - 64 km.
- Beja - 100 km
The municipality borders:
- in the north - the municipality of Odemira
- in the east - Silves municipalities
- in the south - the municipality of Portimão
- in the southwest - the municipality of Lagos
- in the west - Aljezur municipality
|The population of the municipality of Monchique (1801-2004)|
|4658||6891||11 517||14 205||14,779||9609||7309||6974||6666||6441|
The village was founded in 1773 .
The town is one of the largest health resorts in the country. Four kilometers south in the town of Caldas di Monchique, there are hot mineral springs and a sanatorium where you can undergo a course of treatment or prevention with mineral water.
- Franciscan Monastery of St. Mary (Convento de Nossa Senhora do Desterro)
- Shameful pillar of Monchique (Pelourinho de Monchique)
- Church of the Virgin in Monchique (Igreja Matriz de Monchique)
- Church of St. Sebastian in Monchique (Igreja de São Sebastião)
- Church of the House of Mercy in Monchique (Igreja da Misericórdia de Monchique)
- Chapel of Jesus Christ (Ermida do Senhor dos Passos)
- The historic center of Monchique (Centro Histórico)
Other places of interest
- Omega Park (Omega Parque)
- Mina Park (Parque da Mina)
- Hot Mineral Springs (Caldas de Monchique)
- Mount Foya (Serra da Fóia)
- Mount Picot (Serra da Picota)
Agriculture, woodworking, pig breeding, handicrafts and tourist services are the main sectors of the local economy. There is a wool factory in the town. Wheat, millet, rye, beans, oranges, wine, olive oil and chestnuts are the main agricultural products.
Highway number 266 passes through the village.
|Fregezia (districts) of the municipality of Monchique|
|Number of inhabitants|
people / km²
Caldas de Monchique
Serra di Monchique
- Faro (Borough)
- Faro County Municipalities
- Faro District
- Official website (port.)