“Caligula” is an epic anti-totalitarian film by Tinto Brass about the customs of the reign of the ancient Roman emperor Caligula , who went down in history with unprecedented cruelty, treachery and vices. The film was subsidized by the porn empire “ Penthouse ”, hence the scandalously obscene nature of some scenes, because of which the scriptwriter Gore Vidal removed his name from the credits, and morality fighters (especially in the Vatican ) called it “disgusting, shameful trash.”
|Genre||historical drama |
|Producer||Tinto Brass (main) |
|In the main|
|Peter O'Toole |
|Composer||used music by Aram Khachaturian , Sergei Prokofiev|
|Budget||$ 17.5 million (start of filming) |
$ 22 million (final)
|Fees||$ 23,438,120 (U.S.)|
The future emperor Caligula Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus ( Malcolm MacDowell ) enters the battle for the Roman throne with his uncle (grandfather) Tiberius ( Peter O'Toole ), acting with flattery and cunning. The constant expectation of reprisal from Tiberius completely undermines the already fragile psyche of Caligula. He personally tries to kill Tiberius during a seizure, but according to the plot for him, the prefect of the Praetorian cohorts Macron kills him. Caligula becomes Caesar after Tiberius. Reckless life, senseless cruelty, unpredictability and massive confiscation of the property of nobles set against Caligula his former allies, who plot against him and are killed at the very end of the film. The second storyline is the carnal love of Caligula and his sister Julia Drusilla . She dies shortly before the assassination of Caligula himself. The emperor’s liberated place is taken by Uncle Caligula Claudius , who, according to the plot of the film, is a demented and cowardly glutton, ready to obey any influence.
- Malcolm McDowell - Caligula
- Helen Mirren - Caeson
- Peter O'Toole - Tiberius
- Paolo Bonachelli - Cassius Hereia
- John Gilgood - Nerve
- Teresa Ann Savoy - Drusilla
- Guido Mannari - Macron
- Giancarlo Badessi - Claudius
- Bruno Brive - Gemell
- Adriana Asti - Ennia
- Leopoldo Trieste - Haricles
- John Steiner - Longinus
- Mirella D'Angelo - Libya
- Rick Parets - Mnestr
- Paula Mitchell - singer in Subur
- Osiride Peverello is a giant
- Donato Placido - Procul
- Anneka Di Lorenzo - Messalina
- Lori Wagner - Agrippina
- Authentically pornographic scenes, with real, unimpeded sex (in the amount of 6 minutes) on the screen, were personally filmed and mounted on tape by the producer of the film, the publisher of the Penthouse magazine, recognized in the USA as pornographic magazine Bob Guccione . He did this without the knowledge of the chief director Tinto Brass, who had been removed from the production of the film by that time  .
- The Swedish melodic death metal band Arch Enemy used the dialogue from the movie in their song Rise of the Tyrant from the 2007 album of the same name:
Caligula: I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God. I shall wait for the unanimous decision of the senate, Claudius.
Claudius: All those who say aye, say aye.
Caligula: Aye ... Aye!
Senators: Aye! Aye! Aye!
Guard: He's a god now ...
- The film is included in the list of prohibited distribution in Belarus  and Uzbekistan.