“The London Philatelist” (translated from English - “The London Philatelist ”) is a philatelic periodical , a journal of the British Royal Philatelic Society of London , published in London . It was first published in 1892 and has since been published without interruption to the present.
The frequency of release is ten issues per year, excluding January and July. The main topics are issues of the history of world philately and postal circulation. The London Philatelist strives to publish exclusively exclusive materials; as a rule, their authors are members of the Society. About half of the articles and materials contain completely unique, first published content . Often, members of the Society preliminarily discuss the topics of future publications at their meetings (sessions  ). The journal is proud  that it finds a place for scientific articles by authors, regardless of their origin and not members of the Society, if it is not easy to find material on a topic declared by such an author and the topic is adequately developed.
The Royal Philatelic Society of London does not pay royalties to authors of journal articles. In this case, property copyrights to articles are reserved by their authors. Reprinting of articles from the London Philatelist is permitted after a six-month period after agreement with the authors.
The London Philatelist is a publication with a minimalist approach in the design of the covers of outgoing issues of the magazine. The cover design is strict, conservative and unchanged throughout the long history of the publication of the magazine. The royal coat of arms of Great Britain is traditionally present on the cover (at the top), as well as the name of the magazine, its output and the contents of the current issue. The color of the cover changes for each year of publication (volume) of the magazine.
The magazine was founded in 1892 by (1848-1909), editor of the London newspaper Pall Mall Gazette and a member of the Council of the Royal Philatelic Society. He became the first editor of the new journal in 1892-1893. The first issue of the magazine was published in January 1892.
Subsequently, the following persons occupied the post of editor of the magazine:
- 1892-1917 (except for the first 10 issues) - Marcellus Castle (1849-1917).
- 1917 - (1859-1919).
- 1917-1937 - Thomas Hall (1861-1937).
- 1937-1940 - Henry Wood ( English Henry Wood , 1873-1940).
- 1940-1945 - (1886-1946).
- 1946-1954 - (1896-1989).
- 1955-1974 - Arnold Strange ( Arnold Montague Strange , 1905-1989).
- 1975-1982? - Stuart Rossiter (1923-1982).
As of 2008, the magazine was headed by honorary editor and full member of the Royal Philatelic Society, FR  ).
The “London Philatelist” is distributed among the full members and ordinary members of the Society free of charge. Some particularly noteworthy articles of the publication, based on the lectures of members of the Society, are sometimes sold separately  , each usually costs £ 4. Old issues of the London Philatelist are usually sold on the secondary market for £ 3.5-5.
A complete archive of all issues on 12 CDs can be purchased for £ 185 ( UK and the rest of Europe ) or £ 160 (other continents, excluding VAT ). CD-ROMs are equipped with a search, contain all the illustrations and articles of the magazine. At the same time, unlike some other similar publications, the magazine does not have an online version, and its editorial office does not even offer announcements on the Society’s website for the content of out-of-print fresh issues, as is done, for example, by The American Philatelist or "Philately . "
The binder of the London Philatelist magazine is also stored in the library of the British Postal Museum and Archive.
The office of the journal and the Society is located in London at the following address  :
- Royal Philatelic Society of London
- Philatelic journal
- See agenda. Archived on May 4, 2008. recent sessions of the Society.
- From information The archived copy of May 11, 2008 on the Wayback Machine about the magazine on its official website.
- FRPSL is an abbreviation of the English title “Fellow of the Royal Philatelic Society London” , used for full members of the Society.
- See the list of Archived copies of May 4, 2008 on the Wayback Machine of the Society's publications.
- See schematic map . Archived March 12, 2008. on the website of the Royal Philatelic Society. Archived March 10, 2008.
- rpsl.org.uk (English) - the official website of the magazine on the site of the Royal Philatelic Society of London
- Royal Philatelic Society, London . Articles. Philately . Sobirau.Ru. Date of treatment October 20, 2009. Archived March 11, 2012.
- “Royal Philatelic Society, London” - an article by Philip Robinson on the website of the Siberian State Geodetic Academy (rus .)
- Henry Robert Holmes (1896-1989) . Famous collectors and other famous personalities in the world philately. Postage stamps of the British colonies . Colony.ru - Moscow Internet portal of colonial philately. - Brief curriculum vitae of Henry Robert Holmes, editor of the magazine from 1946 to 1954. Date of treatment May 26, 2011. Archived December 25, 2008.
- Curriculum Vitae of Stuart Rossiter, one of the editors of the magazine, on the Stuart Rossiter Trust website
- British Postal Museum and Archive Library Page
- Selected issues of the magazine available on the Avion Thematics website