Arkhangelsk Museum of Local Lore - a museum in Arkhangelsk , illuminating the richness of nature, culture and history of the Russian North. The museum’s collections are presented at two addresses: in a multi-storey building on Lenin Square (on the first and second floors) and in the historical and architectural complex “ Arkhangelsk Gostiny Dvory ” on the Northern Dvina embankment .
|Arkhangelsk Museum of Local Lore|
Entrance to the museum building on Lenin Square (2013)
|Address||Arkhangelsk, Lenin Square, 2|
|Director||Shpanova Natalya Nikolaevna|
The museum has branches in the city of Mezen , with. Verkola and p. Pinega ( Pinezh Museum of Local Lore ).
In 1836, on behalf of Nicholas I, the Minister of the Interior sent an order “On the establishment in all provinces of exhibitions of products and samples of factory, factory crafts and all kinds of local industry ...”, according to which exhibits for the exhibition were sent to Arkhangelsk from all over the Arkhangelsk province .
1837 is considered the year the collection began to form.
In 1861, the exhibition was transferred to the provincial statistical committee and received the status of a museum.
On December 17, 1897, at the request of the governor, the City Council named the museum the Arkhangelsk City Public Museum.
After the revolution in 1920, the Northern Regional Museum was created on the basis of the museum.
In 1938 , after the formation of the Arkhangelsk region, the museum received its modern name - the Arkhangelsk Regional Museum of Local Lore. During the Second World War, the most valuable part of museum collections was evacuated to Solvychegodsk . After the war, the exposition was restored.
In 1976, the museum moved to a new building on Lenin Square. A full-profile museum exposition opened there. In this regard, in the 1970s and 1980s, the museum's collections were replenished especially intensively.
In 1981, the Gostiny Dvor of Arkhangelsk was transferred to the museum.
Since 2007, the Arkhangelsk Museum of Local Lore has been using the "Arkhangelsk Novodvinskaya Fortress" - the first stone bastion coastal fortress in Russia, erected in 1701-1721.
A new stage in the history of the museum is associated with the end of the restoration of Gostiny Dvor in 2012, where the bulk of the expositions and exhibitions are currently located, the architectural and artistic solution of which is based on the use of modern multi-media technologies that contribute to the creation of a historical and cultural image of the region through a complex of sound and visual impressions.
In addition to classic displays, the museum offers a variety of interactive spaces. Developing thematic excursion programs and organizing large-scale exhibition and educational projects, today the Arkhangelsk Museum of Local Lore is a major cultural center of the region.
- two lower floors in a multi-storey building on Lenin Square
- historical and architectural complex "Arkhangelsk Gostiny Dvory" on the embankment of the Northern Dvina
- a monument of federal significance " Arkhangelsk Novodvinsk fortress ", located in the Maimaksan district of Arkhangelsk, 20 km north of the city center