Samples of protosinai writing were found at excavations in Sarabit al-Hadim , Sinai .
|Type of letter||consonant|
|Languages||unknown semitic language|
|Place of occurrence||Sinai Peninsula ( Ancient Egypt )|
|Territory||Sinai Peninsula ( Ancient Egypt )|
|Period||about II millennium BC|
|Letter direction||from right to left|
|Signs||up to 30|
|Developed in||Canaanite , Phoenician|
|Related||supposedly biblical writing|
The inscription "Ba'alat", approx. 1500 BC
Turquoise deposits were developed here by the Egyptian pharaohs during the Middle and New Kingdoms .
Written language has not yet been deciphered , it was only established that it has an alphabet of approximately 30 characters , visually similar to Egyptian hieroglyphs .
Used to record a language akin to the Phoenician .
|Hieroglyph||Protosinai||MFA value||reconstructed name||Phoenician||Paleo jewish||Aramaic||Hebrew||Others *|
|/ ʔ /||ʾAlp "bull"||א||Α 𐌀 A|
|/ b /||bet "house"||ב||Β 𐌁 B|
|/ h /||hll glee> he window||ה||Ε 𐌄 E|
|/ k /||kaf palm||כ , ך||Κ 𐌊 K|
|/ m /||mayim "water"||מ , ם||Μ 𐌌 M|
|/ n /||naḥš "snake"> nun "fish"||נ , ן||Ν 𐌍 N|
|/ ʕ /||ʿEn "eye"||ע||Ο 𐌏 O|
|/ r /||roʾš "head"||ר||Ρ 𐌓 R|
|/ ʃ /||šimš " sun "> šin "tooth"||ש||Σ 𐌔 S|
|/ t /||tāw "sign"||ת||Τ 𐌕 T|
- Archaic Greek , modern Greek , Etruscan and Latin letters.
rejected the application  for introducing the Protosinai script into the Unicode standard, as it considered it unsuitable for encoding  .
- History of writing
- Michael Everson. Proposal to encode Sinaitic in Plane 1 of ISO / IEC 10646-2 (htm) (January 18, 1998). Date of treatment April 17, 2019.
- Not The Roadmap . Unicode (March 6, 2019). Date of treatment April 17, 2019.
- Gelb I. E. Experience in the study of writing. Foreword by I. M. Dyakonov . Per. from English L. S. Gorbovitskaya, I. M. Dunaevskaya. 366 with ill. 22 see M. Rainbow 1982; 2nd ed. - URSS editorial, 2004, 368 p.
- Diringer D. The Alphabet: A Key to the History of Mankind; ISBN 81-215-0748-0 (translated into Russian: D. Dieringer. Alphabet. M. 1963, reprinted several times).
- Friedrich I. History of writing. M. URSS, 2001 .-- 464 p.
- Gordon SH Forgotten Scripts, 1982, Basic Books, New York (revised and enlarged version, previously published 1968, now containing Gordon's work on Minoan and Eteocretan). In Russian: Gordon Cyrus Herzl. Forgotten letters. Discovery and decryption