Paul Anthony Samuelson ( Eng. Paul Anthony Samuelson ; May 15, 1915 , Gary , Indiana - December 13, 2009 , Belmont , Massachusetts ) - American economist , Nobel Prize in economics ( 1970 ) for scientific work, developing static and dynamic economic theory and contributed to the improvement of the overall level of analysis in the field of economic science "  .
|Paul Anthony Samuelson|
|English Paul Anthony Samuelson|
Samuelson in 1997
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth||Gary , Indiana , United States|
|Date of death|
|Place of death||Belmont , Massachusetts , United States|
|Place of work||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago |
|Academic degree||Harvard Ph.D.|
|Famous students||R. K. Merton|
|Awards and prizes||John Bates Clarke Medal (1947) |
Nobel Prize in Economics ( 1970 )
Lecture by John von Neumann (1971)
Gibbs Lecture (1974)
National Science Medal of the United States (1996)
He was the author of the most popular book on economics - Economics: an introductory analysis , which was first published in 1948. It was the second American book that explained the principles of Keynesianism . Now this book is in 19 reprints, total sales worldwide reached 4 million copies, the book has been translated into 40 languages. James Potreba , the former head of the economic department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology , noted that with his book, Samuelson "leaves a huge legacy" as a researcher and teacher, as one of the giants on whose shoulders stands modern economic theory .
Member of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA (1970)  .
Paul Samuelson was born in the small steel town of Gary in Indiana to the family of apothecary Frank Samuelson and Ella Lipton, Jewish immigrants from Poland  . Paula's younger brother, economist Robert Summers , changed his name in his youth, was married to his sister Kenneth Arrow , their son is former Finance Minister Lawrence Summers .
He studied at the University of Chicago , in 1935 received a bachelor's degree. In 1936 he received a master's degree, and in 1941 Ph.D. at Harvard . Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology . In 1948 he received a Guggenheim Fellowship  .
In the 1960s, he was economic advisor to presidents J. Kennedy and L. Johnson .
President of the International Economic Association (1965–68). President of the Econometric Society ( 1952 ). Corresponding Member of the British Academy (1960). President of the American Economic Association ( 1961 ). He was awarded the medal of J. B. Clark ( 1947 ), the National Medal of the United States ( 1996 ).
He died at his home in Belmont , Massachusetts on December 13, 2009  .
Contribution to science
It is considered the initiator of the " neoclassical synthesis " (unification of neoclassical microeconomics and Keynesian macroeconomics into one concept) and one of the founders of neo-Keynesianism .
In 1961, Samuelson made a prediction that in the period from 1984 to 1997 the USSR would overtake the United States by the size of the economy  (the forecast was not justified  ).
- Samuelson P.E. Economics: an introductory analysis ( eng. Economics: An Introductory Analysis , 1948 )
- Samuelson P., Dorfman R. , Solow R. Linear programming and economic analysis (eng. Linear Programming and Economic Analysis, 1958 )
- P. Samuelson. The principle of maximization in economic analysis / Nobel lecture given in Stockholm on December 11, 1970 - Moscow: THESIS, 1993, vol. 1. (English Maximum Principle in Analytical Economics, 1972)
- Samuelson P.E. Monopolistic competition - a revolution in theory // Milestones in economic thought . Volume 2. Theory of the company / Under total. ed. V.M. Halperin. - SPb: School of Economics. 1999. - p. 354-370. - ISBN 5-900428-49-4
- Samuelson P.E. The Foundations of Economic Analysis / Trans. from English by ed. P.A. Vatnika. - SPb .: Economic School, 2002. - 604 p. - ISBN 5-900428-75-3
- Samuelson P.E. Social indifference curves // Milestones in economic thought. Volume 4. Welfare economics and public choice / Ed. ed. A.P. Zaostrovtsev . - SPb: School of Economics. 2004, p. 135—164 - ISBN 5-902402-07-7
- Samuelson P.E. The pure theory of public spending // Milestones in economic thought. Volume 4. Welfare economics and public choice / Ed. ed. A.P. Zaostrovtsev. - SPb: School of Economics. 2004, p. 371-376 - ISBN 5-902402-07-7
- Samuelson P.E., Stolper U. Protectionism and Real Wages // Milestones in Economic Thought. T. 6. International Economics. - M .: TEIS, 2006, p. 188-204. - ISBN 5-7598-0439-1
- P. Samuelson. Once again on the international alignment of prices of production factors // Milestones in economic thought. T. 6. International Economics. - M .: TEIS, 2006. p. 205-219. - ISBN 5-7598-0439-1
- P. Samuelson. Problems of Transfer and Transport Costs // Milestones in Economic Thought, T.6 International Economics, Moscow: TEIS, 2006. p. 364-390. - ISBN 5-7598-0439-1
- Samuelson P. E. Prices of production factors and goods in a state of social equilibrium // Milestones in economic thought. T. 6. International Economics. - M .: TEIS, 2006. - C. 391-409. - ISBN 5-7598-0439-1
- Samuelson P.E. Interview with Paul Samuelson / Conor Clarke The Atlantic, Jun 17 2009
- Samuelson P., Nordhaus V. Economy. - M .: Williams, 2014. - 1360 p. - ISBN 978-5-8459-1714-0 .
- Samuelson Diamond Model
- German National Library , Berlin State Library , Bavarian State Library , etc. Record # 118605321 // Common Regulatory Control (GND)
- BNF ID : Open Data Platform
- Winners of the Nobel Prize for Economics . Encyclopædia Britannica. The date of appeal is January 13, 2018. (English)
- Paul Samuelson (English) . nasonline.org. The appeal date is April 7, 2019.
- Weinstein, Michael M .. Paul A. Samuelson, Who Reshaped Economics, Dies at 94 (Eng.) , The New York Times (December 13, 2009). The appeal date is April 7, 2019.
- Paul A. Samuelson (English) . John Simon Guggenheim Foundation . gf.org. The appeal date is April 7, 2019.
- Nobel economics laureate Samuelson dies at 94 (Eng.) , Reuters (13 December 2009). The appeal date is April 7, 2019.
- Alex Tabarrok. Soviet Growth & American Textbooks (English) . Marginal REVOLUTION (4 January 2010). The appeal date is April 7, 2019.
- American economist from Beijing: “There is no deep secret in China and Russia” . republic.ru. The appeal date is April 7, 2019.
- Blaug M. Samuelson, Paul Anthony // 100 Great Economists After Keynes = Great Economists. - SPb. : Economikus, 2009. - pp. 256-261. - 384 s. - (Library of the "Economic School", vol. 42). - 1 500 copies - ISBN 978-5-903816-03-3 .
- Samuelson Paul Antoni / Abramishvili GG // Strunino - Tikhoretsk. - M .: Soviet Encyclopedia, 1976. - ( Great Soviet Encyclopedia : [in 30 t.] / Ch. Ed. AM Prokhorov ; 1969-1978, v. 25).
- Paul Samuelson (Eng.) . - article from Encyclopædia Britannica Online . The appeal date is June 13, 2014.
- Biography of Paul Samuelson on the Nobel Prize site (eng.)
- Paul Samuelson on Timeline of Nobel Winners (eng.)
- Interview with Paul Samuelson // What economists think. Conversations with Nobel laureates / ed. P. Samuelson and W. Barnett. - M .: United Press, 2009. - P. 190−213.— ( ISBN 978-5-9614-0793-8 )
- Gershenkron A. The Fate of Samuelson’s Textbook in Soviet Russia // Economic Policy. 2009. No. 5. P. 41-61.