The Pskov Free Institute is a non-governmental higher education institution that existed from 1992 to 2010 and provided programs of higher and additional education.
|Pskov Free Institute|
( PVI )
|original name||Pskov Free University|
|International name||Pskov Volny Institute|
|Motto||Sine metu ad scientiam (No fear of knowledge)|
|Year of foundation||1992|
|Type of||Institute (non-governmental)|
|Rector||Moppel Eduard Leovich|
|Location||Russia , Pskov|
|Legal address||180000 city of Pskov, Embankment of the Great River, 6, Pskov Free Institute|
The structure of Volny included the humanities and economics and mathematics faculties, the inter-faculty department of the English language, the information technology center, the sociology laboratory, and the legal department.
The university graduated graduates in the field of "Finance and Credit", "Psychology", "Translation and Translation Studies", "Sociology" and "Applied Mathematics and Computer Science". The programs of continuing education included courses in foreign languages and local history.
The concept of a future university was developed by V.V. Vagin, E. L. Moppel, L. M. Shlosberg . Pskov Free University was founded in 1992 on the civil initiative of the residents of Pskov. “The Free University has become an interesting example of a non-state university with a fairly clearly defined civil position at that time  .”
The founders were the Administration of the city of Pskov, the Department of Education of the city of Pskov, the Pskov State Pedagogical Institute, the Pskov Regional Institute for Advanced Studies of educators, the Pskov Regional Universal Scientific Library , as well as a number of enterprises and organizations of the city. Volny became the first non-state university in the Pskov region.
Classes began on October 1, 1992. Since then, this day began to be celebrated in Volny as "University Day."
The university conducted training in the specialties: psychology, sociology, economics, linguistics, applied mathematics, art history, jurisprudence.
From 1994 to 1998, Grigory Yavlinsky was the Honorary Rector of the Pskov Free University.
Since 2003, in accordance with the decision of the Pskov City Council and the agreement with the Pskov Administration, the Pskov Free Institute annually accepted 5 scholarship holders selected by the Pskov Administration for training on the lease of the premises on which the university worked  .
Participation in international projects
Together with the Swedish Institute of Management, the Free Institute was implementing the “Develop Your Business” program for enterprise managers  .
Licensing and state accreditation
In 2000, the Pskov Free University received state accreditation and the right to issue state diplomas of higher education . In accordance with the requirements of the Ministry of Education, by the decision of the founders of May 30, 2000 Volny began to be called in accordance with his accreditation status - the institute .
In 2005, the Free Institute again underwent a comprehensive assessment of its activities by the Federal Service for Supervision of Education and Science of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation. As a result, the institute was accredited for the maximum possible period of 5 years. All 5 declared educational programs in the specialties were accredited: “Psychology”, “Sociology”, “Applied Mathematics and Computer Science”, “Translation and Translation Studies”, “Finance and Credit”  .
Crisis and Closure
Over the course of several years, the number of applicants to higher education programs at the Free Institute was reduced, and in the 2009/2010 academic year, less than 10 people, including city scholarship holders, started their first-year studies. Probable reasons for the decline in recruitment were the low marketing activity of the Free Institute in the educational services market and the deterioration of the demographic situation in the country.
The funds received from students became insufficient to cover the current expenses of the university  . In April 2010, the state accreditation expired and it was necessary to apply for a new accreditation  . The current situation, according to the leadership of the university, did not give the institute a chance to get accreditation for a new term. In this regard, it was decided to stop activities in the field of higher professional education and transfer all students to other universities. Students were relocated during the spring of 2010.
In August 2010, all university employees were dismissed. According to the plans of the Pskov City Administration, the Pskov business incubator will be opened in the building of the former Free Institute   .
- Alexander Sungurov. "Factories of thought" and centers of public policy in the North-West of Russia in the nineties of the XX century . Cogita! Ru . Date of treatment November 15, 2010. Archived March 11, 2012.
- City Duma decided to transfer the premises it occupied Pskov Free Institute for free use . Pskov information agency . Date of treatment October 26, 2010. Archived March 11, 2012.
- Maxim Golikov. Eduard Moppel: Knowledge - unemployment insurance . Pskov news feed . Date of treatment November 15, 2010. Archived March 11, 2012.
- Pskov Free Institute is again accredited for the maximum possible period . Pskov news feed . Date of treatment November 3, 2010. Archived March 11, 2012.
- Pskov Free Institute owed its employees more than 400 thousand rubles . Pskov news feed . Date of treatment October 26, 2010. Archived March 11, 2012.
- Pskov Free Institute lost its premises . Pskov news feed . Date of treatment October 26, 2010. Archived March 11, 2012.
- Entrepreneurs can reach out to power, Ivan Tsetsersky Is sure . Pskov information agency . Date of treatment November 10, 2010. Archived March 11, 2012.
- Press service of the Pskov City Council. The Pskov business incubator is a real dream . Official site of the municipality "City of Pskov" . Date of treatment November 15, 2010. Archived March 11, 2012.