Rezhan ( French Réjane , actually Gabrielle-Charlotte Réju , June 5, 1856 , Paris - June 14, 1920 , ibid.) - French actress. Together with her rival, the great Sarah Bernhardt , was considered the brightest star of the French theater of the " beautiful era " .
|Birth name||Gabrielle-Charlotte Réju|
|Date of Birth||June 5, 1856|
|Place of Birth|
|Date of death||June 14, 1920 ( 64)|
|Place of death|
|Awards and prizes|
The daughter of an actor. She studied drama and musical art at the Paris Conservatory (graduated in 1874 ).
She performed in popular plays to Sardou . Specialized in the role of subretrets . In 1883 it had its first resounding success after playing the role of Adrienne de Boastulbe in the play Melyak and Gilles "My Comrade"  .
She came close to the theater of French naturalism (“Germini Laserté” by the Goncourt brothers , 1888 ). The first French singer Nora Helmer in the " Doll House " Ibsen ( 1894 ). In 1895 he toured the USA with triumph.
She was a model of many artists, her portrait, in particular, belongs to Aubrey Beardsley (1894). At the premiere of "Germini Laserté", Rezhan first saw Marcel Proust . They met and became friends, Proust was close to his son Rezhan, Jacques Porel. The features of the actress (as well as Bernard and Barthe ) Are visible in the collective image of Berm in his novel " In Search of Lost Time " .
In 1906 she acquired and rebuilt the New Theater , which began to bear her name (today it is the French Théâtre de Paris in the 9th arrondissement of the capital) and which she directed until 1918 . (Here, among other things, in 1911 the French premiere of “ Blue Bird ” by Meterlink took place).
In her declining years, she acted in films. Died after a serious illness, buried in Passy cemetery . Among her descendants are photographer Jean-Marie Perrier and actor Marc Porel .
- Theater roles
- 1883 - Adrienne de Buastulbe - “My Comrade”, based on the play by Henri Méliac and Philippe Gilles , Palais Royal Theater
- 1888 - Germini Laserté - “Germini Laserté”, based on a play by the Goncourt brothers
- 1894 - Nora Helmer - “The Doll House ”, based on the play by Ibsen
- 1901 - Sabina Revel - “Running with a torch” ( French “La course au flambeau” ), based on the play, Paul Hervieux , Theater “Vaudeville”
- Movie roles
- 1908 - Britannicus
- Porel J. Fils de Réjane. Paris: Plon, 1954
- Baudot F. Réjane, la reine du boulevard. Paris: Editions 7L; Göttingen: Steidl, 2001.