Jeffrey Morgan ( born Jeffrey Morgan ; born March 20, 1954 , Spokane , Washington , USA ) is an American jazz musician and composer . He plays the piano, saxophone, trumpet, flute. Lives and works since 1991 in Cologne , Germany . Belongs to the style of free jazz .
|Date of Birth||March 20, 1954 (aged 65)|
|Place of Birth||Spokane , Washington , USA|
|Professions||Musician , composer|
|Years of activity||1973 - present time|
|Instruments||Piano , saxophone , trumpet , flute|
|Genres||Jazz , free jazz|
In 1973, Morgan began to study performing arts, including music, theater, and acting; cultural music, aesthetic philosophy, and eastern religion at Evergreen College, Olympia , WA .
While studying, he attended the legendary Creative Music Studio in Woodstock, New York. His teachers were Karl Berger, Don Cherry and Oliver Lake . In addition, he created the first composer work for the choreographic production of Distress Mistress and introduced The Delirium Dimension . In 1977, he created the interdisciplinary work (multi-media) Galactic Visions for musical productions with choreography using slide projectors and light design.
Over the next two years, he participated in the creation of It's Only Money , CASH , Transient Landscapes and Mykrocozm , where he also acted as a director and actor. In 1982, Morgan created the band Presto Chango, with whom he worked on costumes and stage sets for theatrical productions. Two years later, he founded New Art Orchestra in Seattle with Paul Hoskin.
In 1987, Morgan moved to Birmingham , where he worked with dancers such as Mary Horn and Susan Hafner, and also worked fruitfully with La Donna Smith. In 1988, he toured with the Clank trio from Seattle with Johnny Calkagno and Charlie Raun, and also worked with many musicians from Denmark, England, Germany and Czechoslovakia.
Since 1991, Morgan has been living in Cologne , where he plays improvised jazz. He was invited to several European festivals. He collaborated with Alan Silva, Kate Raue, Peter Cowald, Paul Lytton and Xu Fengxia, as well as other musicians.
From 1991 to 1996, Morgan was the organizer of the festival of experimental and improvised music, The Drang in Klang, and from 1994 began conducting open seminars on Conceptual Musical Composition and Improvisation in Cologne. He later conducted them in Hamburg, Bilfeld, Lisbon, Leeds and Wuppertal. Also in 1994, he created another interdisciplinary production called In the Shadow of the Gambler , which was shown in Cologne and Krefeld. In addition, he also taught installations and productions: Elements , Haunted House, and N-Station at Copenhagen Technical College.
- Terra Incognita - Duo w / Paul Lytton (CD Konnex) 2004
- Avenue X - Quartet w / Capote (CD Ninth World) 2003
- Take No Prisoners - Duo w / Bert Wilson (CD Konnex) 2003
- Dubbel Duo - Quartet w / Goudbeek, Jacquemyn, Kowald (CD Konnex) 2002
- Magnetic Fields - Duo w / Bert Wilson (CD FMO) 2002
- Quartz & Crow Feather - Solo Alto Saxophone + Violin (CD Headlights) 2000
- Sign of the Raven - Trio w / Peter Jacquemyn + Mark Sanders (CD Ueton) 2000
- Electroshock - I Woke Up Braindead - Quintet (CD Ueton) 1999
- Dial: Log-Rhythm - Duo w / Keith Rowe (CD Matchless) 1999
- Near Vhana - Duo w / Joker Nies (CD Ninth World) 1997
- Snake Eyes - Duo w / Joker Nies (CD Random Acoustics) 1995
- Quasar-Mach - Solo + Ensemble Works (LP AuRoar) 1983
- (more than 25 projects from 1983 to 1992 were created and distributed through Sound of Pig Music on analog media (cassette and vinyl record))