William Bartram ( eng. William Bartram , April 20, 1739 , Kingsessing , PA , USA - July 22, 1823 , ibid.) - American naturalist , explored various areas of North America and left one of the best descriptions of the birds of the New World .
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth|
|Date of death|
|A place of death|
|Scientific field||natural science|
|Taxonomy of wildlife|
The author of the names of a number of botanical taxa . In the botanical ( binary ) nomenclature, these names are supplemented by the abbreviation " W.Bartram " .
List of such taxa on the IPNI website
Personal page on IPNI website
The son of John Bartram . As a child, he helped his father in his travels around the country, made a large number of botanical and ornithological drawings.
In 1773 he embarked on a four-year journey through eight southern colonies ( North and South Carolina , Georgia , East and West Florida , etc.).
He devoted much time and energy to the study of the life and customs of the Cherokee Indians .
For a list of plants described by William Bartram, see the International Plant Names Index .
- 1 Printed Works
- 2 Botanical illustrations of Bartram
- 3 About him
- 4 notes
- 5 Links
- Travels through North and South Carolina, Georgia, East and West Florida, the Cherokee Country, etc. Philadelphia, 1791
- William Bartram: Travels and Other Writings. Thomas Slaughter, editor. Library of America, 1996. ISBN 978-1-883011-11-6 .
Bartram's Botanical Illustrations
Franklinia alatamaha . 1872
- Borland, Hal. The Memorable Bartrams. American Heritage Magazine. April, 1975. Volume 26, Issue 3. * Cashin, Edward J. William Bartram in Georgia. New Georgia Encyclopedia.
- Hallock, Thomas. From the Fallen Tree: Frontier Narratives, Environmental Politics, and the Roots of a National Pastoral. University of North Carolina Press, 2003.
- Savage, Henry Jr. Discovering America, 1700-1875. p. 63-70. Harper & Row, 1979.
- "William Bartram" Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 37: American Writers of the Early Republic. Emory Elliot, ed. The Gale Group, 1985, pp. 31–38.
- "William Bartram 1739-1823" Dictionary of American Biography. American Council of Learned Societies, 1928-1936.